PDA

View Full Version : Tour of MO - will you be at a stage?

ahumblecycler
09-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Hello.

I live just north of KC, MO, and I am planning to at a minimum watch the KC stage. I also considering heading across I-70 to STL and down to the Cape.

Having never met anyone on this forum but having made virtual friends with many, I was wondering if anyone would be at any particular stage. I know Cnd-Bcn won't be here ;) as he works too many jobs.

What about others?

Also, Team Liquigas will be at Cycle City (Parkville, MO - google search them) following the Kansas City stage, around 6:30 to 8:00 or so, to sign autographs. They hosted the team last year, and the team is pretty cool to chat with.

csm
09-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I'll be in Springfield Monday and Tuesday but from the looks of things on the map I won't be close to any of the stages.

rphetteplace
09-05-2009, 01:34 PM
I will be at St. Louis and Cape stages. I'm 6'6" 300 lb mofo with a 5' tall redheaded girl and we'll have 2 golden retrievers with us if anyone wants to say hi.

chuckroast
09-05-2009, 01:51 PM
I'll be downtown in KC next Sunday for the final stage.

Karl Lee
09-05-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm planning on going to a stage or two, I live in VA but I have family there so it's a good excuse to see both. Hope I can get a cheap plane ticket there that doesn't stop in 27 states en route! I went 2 years ago to the St Louis stage and the Jefferson City to Columbia stage. The StL stage was a blast, I had a bike and rode in with my Brother from St Charles and stood around at the finish line until they came across, saw riders up close, 2 feet away at times and even stood next to Hincapie when he was being interviewed. They barely had security but that's what's cool about the sport, sometimes you can even talk with the riders.
My family lives around Columbia and in St Charles but I won't arrive til after the start in StL so I'll get to see the race in Jeff City and possibly in KC if I have the time.
It would be nice to see a fellow RBR'er but probably no chance for that! Good times though, Missouri's a pretty state.

TAW
09-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I'll be at the Sunday stage for a short period of time. The shop I work for has Specialized stuff and they're having a place reserved. I was hoping to catch the TT in Sedalia, but prior commitments will keep me from going.

PS: ahumblecycler, do you ride with the Cycle City guys?

Louis
09-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Maybe Monday's stage in downtown St Louis.

Last night a riding buddy of mine from work and I went down to Lafayette Square to see part of the first day of racing for the Gateway Cup (our annual three-day event of local crits, this year four days due to the ToM). It was pretty cool. They set up lights and race around a 0.9 m perimeter perfectly square circuit.

Depending on how things work out, we may go down to see Stage 1 Monday.

trophyoftexas
09-05-2009, 07:55 PM
...but most likely not. I had intended to shoot both the time trial stage and the circuit in KC since I'm going to be up there Wednesday or so. BUT, I got to searching for some rides in Wisconsin that I could do on my way to Michigan and found three that fit my schedule to a "T" and in area's that I've always wanted to ride...so I'm probably going to skip the TofM and do some serious hills!

ahumblecycler
09-05-2009, 08:05 PM
I'll be at the Sunday stage for a short period of time. The shop I work for has Specialized stuff and they're having a place reserved. I was hoping to catch the TT in Sedalia, but prior commitments will keep me from going.

PS: ahumblecycler, do you ride with the Cycle City guys?

When I ride with a club, it is with Cycle City. I primarily ride my Douglas Ti.

For those in the KC area for sure, if you want to PM me contact info that would be sweet.

To the large mofo with the 5' ginger and dogs, I will PM if I am in the area ... who knows :beer:

TAW
09-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I wonder if I have seen you on a ride. I rode nearly every Saturday last year with the Cycle City group. I switched to another team and started working at another shop and lead a Saturday group ride, so I don't get to ride with them.
We ride mostly Interurban.

ahumblecycler
09-05-2009, 08:55 PM
I bet we have. Where do you work now? Do you work at Epic? My name is Greg if that helps.

I typically ride solo or if I will meet up with people. I don't normally start-and-finish with a group, typically only special events/holidays.

TAW
09-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Yes, I work at Epic. I ride either a Colnago C-40 or a CT-1. If you're ever interested in a ride, PM me and we'll get together.

dsimon
09-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Ill be dowtown St louis. with my wife and three Kids IM sure you wont miss me ILl have an orange shirt that says "cranky Old Guys Rule and my wife will have a life is good this is how I role. Shell be the one yelling at the kids :argue:

ahumblecycler
09-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Hello all,

I will be downtown KC for Stage 7. I will be on my BMC (yellow and black - think Iowa Hawkeyes!) and wearing my Cycle City jersey. If you see me, please come up and say hi.

Following the stage, Team Liquigas will be at Cycle City Parkville, MO location. I plan to check it out before cycling home.

I expect to be on bike 10 or so hours ... should be fun! :banana:

chuckroast
09-13-2009, 12:30 PM
We'll look for you. My wife and I will probably miss the start but should be there later.

ahumblecycler
09-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Just returned. It was great. The cyclists were very friendly, and Thor looks more like a model than a cyclists ... guess he has a back up job :)

7 1/2 hours on the bike and all I got was this picture (not really but it made my day!)

chuckroast
09-13-2009, 07:27 PM
We viewed from two locations. We started in the Hospitality tent because my company had made a donation and got some passes. After three laps though, we walked back out to the car and made our way over to the Summit St. King of the Mountain section. It was great, much better atmosphere.

I took a few pictures, including Christian VDV who showed up at the tent, I'll try to post them later.

Louis
09-13-2009, 09:20 PM
7 1/2 hours on the bike and all I got was this picture

I'd say it was worth it :banana: :banana: :banana:

TAW
09-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Hello all,

I will be downtown KC for Stage 7. I will be on my BMC (yellow and black - think Iowa Hawkeyes!) and wearing my Cycle City jersey.

Cycle city jersey? :no: ;)

ahumblecycler
09-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Between my bike and my jersey, I got a lot of compliments and questions about me racing ... it's all about perception. Hey, it got me the opportunity to hold two beautiful women :p

chuckroast
09-15-2009, 07:59 PM
I promised to post up a few photos. The first is Christian VDV at the hospitality tent. The other two are at the KOM line. I especially like the tongue biting.