PDA

View Full Version : ok, newb question

vqdriver
09-04-2009, 05:58 PM
what exactly is "across the hall"

dvs cycles
09-04-2009, 06:01 PM
If they told you they'd have to kill you. ;)

false_Aest
09-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Once upon a time some people went for a cyclocross ride on some horse trails.

One person accidentally rode over some horse sh!7, kicked it up and it struck another dude in the face.

The dude with the horse sh!7 face got peeved and called the other dude on it. The other dude said, "Chill." This angered H.S. face. Things escalated. They tackled each other and started rolling around in the mud trying to inflict the most amount of pain possible with their puny cyclist arms and fists. Then they both rolled into a big pile of Horse SH!7.

They got up. Brushed each other off. And went their separate ways. They belong to different clubhouses now. Kind've like the Elks and the Mooseseses.

It's all very West Side Story on bicycles in spandex. The switch blades have been replaced with frame pumps. Leather jackets are now Assos and Rapha gear.

They live in the same apartment complex.

Dig?

Or maybe Across the Hall is just another forum called Velocipede Salon.

rwsaunders
09-04-2009, 07:12 PM
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum

You need to register in order to view the website.

vqdriver
09-04-2009, 07:32 PM
H.S. face

:D

Erik.Lazdins
09-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Once upon a time some people went for a cyclocross ride on some horse trails.

One person accidentally rode over some horse sh!7, kicked it up and it struck another dude in the face.

The dude with the horse sh!7 face got peeved and called the other dude on it. The other dude said, "Chill." This angered H.S. face. Things escalated. They tackled each other and started rolling around in the mud trying to inflict the most amount of pain possible with their puny cyclist arms and fists. Then they both rolled into a big pile of Horse SH!7.

They got up. Brushed each other off. And went their separate ways. They belong to different clubhouses now. Kind've like the Elks and the Mooseseses.

It's all very West Side Story on bicycles in spandex. The switch blades have been replaced with frame pumps. Leather jackets are now Assos and Rapha gear.

They live in the same apartment complex.

Dig?

Or maybe Across the Hall is just another forum called Velocipede Salon.

meanwhile in Oklahoma somebody spit a fine Pilsner across the laptop whilst reading this thread atmo

eddief
09-04-2009, 09:06 PM
what does it mean? it makes me feel dirty.

"You have been banned for the following reason:
troll. Date the ban will be lifted: Never?"

I must have ridden over some horsesh*t.

SamIAm
09-05-2009, 06:55 AM
If you have ever read "Atlas Shrugged" and know who John Galt is, think of across the hall as Galt's Gulch.

dekindy
09-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Disgruntled Serotta forum members not content with the moderation of this forum decided to start their own forum. It is as simple as that. I am not certain of the timing but it was about a year ago, maybe?

I did not agree with their criticisms and was relatively new to the forum so I had no interest in switching or joining the new forum. Some members belong to both and for some odd reason occasionally keep us informed of what is going on "across the hall". I could care less what is going on over there. "Across the hall" doesn't even allow nonmembers to view their forum without registering, which I find bizarre.

rwsaunders already gave you the link.

Climb01742
09-05-2009, 08:06 AM
anyone care to venture a guess about why they're requiring you to register to simply view the site?

from a purely marketing standpoint it's a bit mystifying. a free sample is an effective marketing tool to build a community, and if one studies web dynamics, registration is a big barrier to site visits. i suppose it could be a way to capture email addresses for future marketing but that seems a stretch.

guesses anyone?

Ray
09-05-2009, 08:49 AM
anyone care to venture a guess about why they're requiring you to register to simply view the site?

from a purely marketing standpoint it's a bit mystifying. a free sample is an effective marketing tool to build a community, and if one studies web dynamics, registration is a big barrier to site visits. i suppose it could be a way to capture email addresses for future marketing but that seems a stretch.

guesses anyone?
I tend to be the last to see evil intent, whether it exists or not. But I think a lot of it has just been technical problems. I've seen various posts about people having trouble logging on over there, even longtime members (long time being a relative term on a young forum). And other people who had trouble joining, but then got in touch with Too Tall or Pucci or somebody and then had no problem. So I don't know that they're intentionally trying to bust anyone's chops. But maybe they are?

I dunno. I like both sets of people. I liked 'em all together but when some decided they couldn't co-exist, I learned to like 'em somewhat separately. The two forums are moderated differently. This one is a bit tighter about industry stuff, the other one cracks down faster and harder on OT stuff. You find more elite industry types and riders over there, and more general population of riders over here. There's plenty of good in both places. I get pissed when I see dissing of the other forum here or dissing of this forum there. It just ain't necessary or useful.

-Ray

majl
09-05-2009, 09:09 AM
There was a reference here a week or so ago to a thread "across the hall" started by a highly respected frame builder about running v-brakes on a cross bike. It peaked my interest so I went over to have a look. When I saw that I had to register just to view the site, I was a bit surprised but took the extra steps to do so. After completing my registration, I read through the thread and found it very informative.

The next day, I get an e-mail saying my registration did not meet their "membership requirements" and was removed. No other explanation. FWIW, I had never registered there in the past under another username or e-mail address. I guess I was deemed not worthy... :rolleyes:

Ray
09-05-2009, 09:14 AM
There was a reference here a week or so ago to a thread "across the hall" started by a highly respected frame builder about running v-brakes on a cross bike. It peaked my interest so I went over to have a look. When I saw that I had to register just to view the site, I was a bit surprised but took the extra steps to do so. After completing my registration, I read through the thread and found it very informative.

The next day, I get an e-mail saying my registration did not meet their "membership requirements" and was removed. No other explanation. FWIW, I had never registered there in the past under another username or e-mail address. I guess I was deemed not worthy... :rolleyes:
Wow. Did you follow up and ask why not? I've seen some references over there to how big they've gotten - one of the mods said something about 2,000 or something. Maybe they're having capacity problems and just want to make it difficult so that only those who really want to be there are there? In any case, as you said, there is plenty of very informative stuff over there, so it would probably be worth the effort to find out.

-Ray

Ozz
09-05-2009, 09:16 AM
...guesses anyone?
they want to keep their forum...."their forum"?

non-racers need not apply.....

;)

Ray
09-05-2009, 09:21 AM
they want to keep their forum...."their forum"?

non-racers need not apply.....

;)
I, and several others that I'm aware of (and doubtless many more that I'm NOT aware of) are about as far from racers as its possible to be and still consider myself a cyclist. And not builders or otherwise in the biz either. Maybe they're really trying to be exclusive, but then what the hell would I be doing there? Or maybe its getting to the edge of their tech capacity. Or maybe its something you said? But I doubt it.

-Ray

eddief
09-05-2009, 09:33 AM
after being a member for a day, i gather they want the energy to stay positive and focused on bikes. think i disagreed too strongly with someone's bragging point of view and was axed for life.

the only person i miss is dbrk...and i think he is one of the ones who needed to leave this place due to some sort bad joojoo going on.

false_Aest
09-05-2009, 09:36 AM
guesses anyone?

SERIOUSLY????

How 'bout sending one of their moderators an email? You can ask them directly. They'll have no problems filling you in.

It makes no sense to post your GUESSES on this forum.

Dekonick
09-05-2009, 09:55 AM
SERIOUSLY????

How 'bout sending one of their moderators an email? You can ask them directly. They'll have no problems filling you in.

It makes no sense to post your GUESSES on this forum.

If you have any issues you should just send Josh an email. He is a pleasant fellow - and quite tall too...

It is worth it to belong there as there is a lot of good information available. I don't post often across the hall, but do read it. Sometimes if you have a technical question a post there will result in quality answers - other times you may just get whipped by the boys in rapha. You will probably get similar quality answers here as well. I have noticed that the Velocipede salon core is made up mostly of racers - but just because you don't race doesn't mean you aren't a cyclist and many of the folks there don't.

It is a shame that the forum 'split' but - thats life.

BCS
09-05-2009, 10:36 AM
If you have ever read "Atlas Shrugged" and know who John Galt is, think of across the hall as Galt's Gulch.

e-richie = Galt :confused:

gdw
09-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Please. More like the high school band room where they let the "cool" nerds hang during lunch and study halls. :banana: :banana:

Ti Designs
09-05-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm going to have to go with the cool factor over being fast or being in the industry...

paczki
09-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Please. More like the high school band room where they let the "cool" nerds hang during lunch and study halls. :banana: :banana:

That's funny. :banana:
But more power to them. I miss having some of them, Too Tall and SteveP in particular, on this forum. They were unfailingly helpful and extremely knowledgeable.

SamIAm
09-05-2009, 11:59 AM
e-richie = Galt :confused:
Uh, no! I was being sarcastic. Its pure silliness in my opinion.

SamIAm
09-05-2009, 12:01 PM

Agreed. I was kidding. I need to learn how to use the emoticons.

djg
09-05-2009, 12:15 PM
If you have any issues you should just send Josh an email. He is a pleasant fellow - and quite tall too...

It is worth it to belong there as there is a lot of good information available. I don't post often across the hall, but do read it. Sometimes if you have a technical question a post there will result in quality answers - other times you may just get whipped by the boys in rapha. You will probably get similar quality answers here as well. I have noticed that the Velocipede salon core is made up mostly of racers - but just because you don't race doesn't mean you aren't a cyclist and many of the folks there don't.

It is a shame that the forum 'split' but - thats life.

No, he's not quite tall . . . he's way effing tall and he is a good guy, for sure (and friendly, and accessible, and not exclusive).

Really, I think that the some of the core members over there are still here a bit. As far as I can tell, part of the interest over there is in having a substantial core of industry folks who are free, while talking about cycling, and bikes, and bike stuff, to talk about each others' frames and wheels and etc, and maybe even do a bit of puffery, without stepping on the toes of a particular sponsor. I could be wrong about that -- I'm not a core or important member, let alone a moderator, even if I do participate, but for all the perceived drama by a few folks on this board or that, it's all just chat -- all good IMO.

csm
09-05-2009, 12:23 PM
I checked it out when they first set it up. I like it here much better. I find it puzzling that they fled over there to get away from the censorship (implied) and booger tossing and have essentially created that very thing there. it's sort of like a country club.

LegendRider
09-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I was banned shortly after joining following a politcal spat with Catulle - remember him? He and a few others were throwing bombs and I pointed out what I thought was a double-standard. The next thing I know I got the dreaded BANNED FOR LIFE message.

fatallightning
09-05-2009, 01:25 PM
that registering to view thing must be relatively new, i know at least a month or 2 ago i used to lurk. i think you have to post to a thread introducing yourself, otherwise you might get removed.

chuckroast
09-05-2009, 01:53 PM
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Groucho Marx

false_Aest
09-05-2009, 03:00 PM
This thread is getting much too more dumber.

Time for some bike pr0n!

Elefantino
09-05-2009, 03:45 PM
I am not banned for life across the hall. In fact, I was asked to join because I make the rest of the bunch look very, very smart.

cleavel
09-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi,

I don't post here too often, I mostly lurk. I missed the final skirmish that caused the split but I could kind of see it coming.

I've seen the same thing happen in two other forums -- one photography, the other cycling -- and the split forums, while generally pleasant, also seem more cliquish. I have never visited "across the hall" so I can't say anything about them from experience.

Personally, I hate to see this kind of stuff happen because, after all, these forums are just virtual meeting places. I'd like to believe that if people were meeting face-to-face some of the difficulties would be worked out. But then again, maybe not. :p

Ti Designs
09-05-2009, 06:34 PM
I think we should take this to it's logical conclusion where each member has their own forum where they alone (and I do mean alone) make up the rules on what gets posted. (I think they call that a blog)

I must admit, I miss a number of people who are no longer here. I miss too tall a lot, his views were based on experience in the saddle and his point of view was from slightly higher than mine. I miss swoop and I regret not getting to ride with him. I miss SteveP, but I'm working on throwing while riding so next time I woun't. Mostly I miss the jerk. Craig's blunt opinions and brutal honesty along with his sarcastic sense of humor are just what this forum needs at times.

erector
09-06-2009, 02:12 AM
time has definitely done a good job with their new look

hampco
09-09-2009, 03:22 PM
y'all are welcome over there. as a moderator at velocipede salon i'd be happy help anyone with problems getting in the door - just email me at hampco@gmail.com

it's not an us-versus-them/you/whomever thing, it's an us-versus-spambots thing. we were getting swamped with spam, we instituted the registration requirement, the problem seems to be solved. there is nothing to hide and nobody is being kept out, afaik

best wishes,

steve hampsten

zap
09-09-2009, 03:58 PM
snipped

, it's an us-versus-spambots thing. we were getting swamped with spam, we instituted the registration requirement, the problem seems to be solved.

best wishes,

steve hampsten

There are plenty of solutions to this problem otherwise the world wide web would not be so world wide webish.

jlwdm
09-09-2009, 04:31 PM
The two forums are similar but different. I go to both everyday.

The framebuilders' photos of what they are working on every week is exceptional.

Lots of builder and industry knowledge.

Jeff