PDA

View Full Version : Saddle pack rubbing

tsprinkle
09-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Anyone ever experienced rubbing against the velcro on your saddle bag? I've tried a couple of different bags on a few different saddles and it's always the same. Seems the loop that wraps around the seatpost is my problem. Aside from especially fat thighs, which I don't really think is the issue this time, does anyone have any ideas of ways to eliminate the pack rub? Should I move my saddle forward?

rwsaunders
09-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Try a different type of bag attachment. Perhaps an older Pedro's Blowout bag, as they do not rely on velcro straps to fasten to your saddle. They have an attachment that mounts to the saddle rails, with a quick release connection at the bag.

tsprinkle
09-04-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm thinking that will be my next stop. The real issue seems to be the strap that wraps around the seatpost, but with the plastic clip-on style it might be easier to just cut off the seatpost strap and still get a good hold. The velcro type always shakes loose whenever I do that now.

false_Aest
09-04-2009, 05:50 PM
My solution was to wrap 1 credit card, ID, $5, mini hex tool, 2 tire levers and a tube in a rubber band and shove it in my jersey pocket.

Probably not the answer you want but it is my solution... especially since I have thighs that would make KFC whimper.

dave thompson
09-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Find a seat bag that wraps its velcro to the seat post at a lower point instead of so high up.

54ny77
09-04-2009, 06:15 PM
your issue is my issue as well, sir.

this bag helps:

http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1588&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=1588&path=1%2C2%2C15%2C411%2C413&bShopOnline=1

but, i broke it after awhile (bottom velcro straps ripped off), likely because i regularly travel w/2 tubes, 2 c02's, 1 tire lever, 2 allen wrenches and a c02 inflator head. that trek bag could handle all that, but not for too long....

it was the skinniest bag i had. it worked great, minimal leg rub, if any. not the best looking thing though, and not to mention i used a black marker to color in the trek logo on my non-trek bike...

now i'm back to a regular saddle wedge. topeak, i think.

i've got at least a half dozen of different types/brands. nothing works great. it's a frequent purchase item for me when i'm feeling inspired....or look closely at the area in the shorts that have shredded lycra....

Peter P.
09-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Jandd makes great bags. Try these:

Jandd Bag with Klickfix Bracket (http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMW2B)

Narrow Tire Bag (http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FTBII)

Check out some of their other offerings as well.

tsprinkle
09-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Cool -- thanks for all the rec, folks. Looks like I have some shopping to do.

pdmtong
09-04-2009, 07:35 PM
jannd is the way else fizik ICS but your butt has got to like arionne etc....

MarcusPless
09-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Like the concept... The execution, on the other hand...
One Fizik ICS bag broke at the plastic mount point, if that makes any sense...
Two Fizik ICS bags separated where the zipper attaches to the bag.
I gave up...

I really wanted that to work out.

jannd is the way else fizik ICS but your butt has got to like arionne etc....

jhat
09-04-2009, 08:00 PM
I too have the same problem and finally gave up with the seat bag idea. One tube, one co2 inflator and one cell phone in the jersey pocket and no seat bag. Two flats would be a problem but I have not had a double flat ride in over 10 years. That is what the cell phone is for.

rwsaunders
09-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Rather than load a jersey, you could go this route too, or just cut an old bottle and use it for storage.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A9181

pdmtong
09-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Like the concept... The execution, on the other hand...
One Fizik ICS bag broke at the plastic mount point, if that makes any sense...
Two Fizik ICS bags separated where the zipper attaches to the bag.
I gave up...

I really wanted that to work out.
hmm. thanks for the heads up. currently using the medium bag and rotating it between 3 bikes. clip in, clip out. easy. if I experience your issue I'm going back to jannd mini-mtn wedge. had this for years and noooooo issues.

Steve in SLO
09-05-2009, 01:16 AM
I had the same problem with my Specialized bag.
I found that if I just wrapped it less tightly around the seatpost it eliminated the 'tail' of hooked velcro hanging out catching my leg.
You could also heat up a knife or similar and just melt flat the last 1/2 inch or so of hooks. You get to play with fire and a tool...it's a win-win.

gman
09-05-2009, 06:13 AM
Cut off the velcro band that goes around the seatpost. I was a bit leary of this on a brand new Timbuk2 bag, but it worked out well. Saves my nice shorts!

1centaur
09-05-2009, 06:36 AM
For those who don't have the Fizik ICS (which I have on many bikes without problems), this solution works well:

http://www.arundelbike.com/dual.html?p=1.1.2.1

jamesau
09-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Other bags to look at:

Axiom QR
Topeak
Scicon

Some people just cut off the velcro.
Alternatively, if you've the right type of clamp and not too much post exposed, you can fit a rubber washer (from your local hardware store's plumbing section) to attach the velcro to. See pic.

54ny77
09-05-2009, 08:37 AM
thanks for the reminder. that was the next bag on my list of try something new...

just ordered mine from svelte cycles online. i'll post a pic when i get it installed.

For those who don't have the Fizik ICS (which I have on many bikes without problems), this solution works well:

http://www.arundelbike.com/dual.html?p=1.1.2.1

bironi
09-05-2009, 10:15 AM
I like this one.

http://www.headlandbike.com/bags/cmt/cmt.htm

54ny77
09-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Follow up:

This Arundel "Dual" bag is nirvana for those of you who know what I'm talkin' about!

I have at least a half dozen bags, none of them work "just right." This one does. Sits nice & tight and away from the seat post, has narrow profile, doesn't sway side to side, looks good too.

Fits: 2 tubes, 2 c02's (16g), 1 tire lever, 1 c02 inflator head (Air Chuck SL), 1 Park tire boot/patch. Yes indeed.

No more chafed or torn shorts! At last!

Get yours from Justin at Svelte Cycles. :beer:

monkeywobble
09-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Maybe favorite is too strong a word but my current pack is a Pedros Blow Out bag. It does have a small bit of velcro but it is situated such that my shorts remain intact.

Alternately I used to just ride with tape wrapped around the velcro attachment on my seatpost. It's not pretty but much cheaper than buying a new pair of shorts every few weeks.

-s

Volant
09-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Very timely post as I'm needing a new saddle bag, but I don't want anything that attaches to the post. I have an Arione, but, my ICS bag also broke, so I'm looking for another solution. Thanks for the links!

turf
09-14-2009, 12:03 PM
I just take the saddle bag and put it in one of my bottle holders as I rarely need two water bottles. Easy to go from bike to bike.

67-59
09-14-2009, 12:32 PM
I use this Scicon bag: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-accessories/2009-sci-con-elan-seat-bag-1149.42.1.html

The single strap wraps through the seat rails, so there's nothing to wrap around the seatpost. It isn't hard to wrap it tightly enough that it doesn't bounce around, and it stays very secure. The downside is that it's kinda on the smallish side, but I am still able to fit a tube, patch kit, tire levers and 2 CO2 cannisters inside.

CNY rider
04-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Had to bump this thread because I am so f*&^%ing annoyed with my stupid cheap POS Cannondale saddle bag that left a fuzzy spot on the inner left thigh of some new tights yesterday.

Just ordered up two of the Arundels.

Everyone still love them?

fourflys
04-11-2010, 09:26 AM
The Arundel bag is really nice! Just one tip... don't take it off at a stop to adjust your saddle and then forget it on the ground.... :crap:

I actually replaced with a Performance "Transit" bag as a temp replacement and haven't got around to buying a new Arundel because the Transit works pretty well... It does have a velcro seat loop, but I could cut that off and it would work just as well... (the seat loop might keep me from leaving it on the roadside though...) I did black out the "Transit" logo with a black sharpie, my vainness made me do it...

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1023667_-1_400031_400007_400101

SoCalSteve
04-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Arundel is the way to go! They make an awesome saddle back (and I have tried many).

They also make great water bottle cages (in both Al and carbon), but you guys already know this...

Good luck!

Steve

jlwdm
04-11-2010, 12:32 PM
I like the Arundel bag - I was rubbing on the velcro on my old bag. The only thing missing is a place to attach a light as I do a lot of night riding.

I use both the Arundel carbon and stainless bottle cages also.

Jeff