PDA

View Full Version : Does Ibuprofen Help or Hurt

Don49
09-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Interesting article on Ibuprofen and athletes. Well worth reading I thought:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/phys-ed-does-ibuprofen-help-or-hurt-during-exercise/

rockdude
09-03-2009, 01:45 PM
He is a bit more info on it.

http://www.dailytidings.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090902/NEWS02/909029995/-1/NEWSMAP

Bruce K
09-03-2009, 01:46 PM
It was a good read.

I had actually heard that from my coach a couple of years ago.

In a way it's kind of scary.

BK

jblande
09-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Thank you for posting these two links! Very helpful!

dekindy
09-03-2009, 02:40 PM
In Roadbikerider.com's ezine this week they recommended this website and referenced his discussion on maximum heart rate and training using heart rate. It looks like a good website but I have not had a chance to view it yes so I am relying on RBR's recommendation which have seldom steered me wrong.
http://www.drmirkin.com/

I signed up for his ezine and the first addition that I received was upon this very topic and the information agrees with the NYTimes article referenced.

MIN
09-03-2009, 03:41 PM
fascinating read, but what about dosing after a workout?

Hawker
09-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Good read. I've been taking a couple (or three) before every big ride for a lot of years now. At some BRAG rides (across GA) I remember many samples being handed out as almost a daily regimen.

It does seem that if you wait long enough...ultimately medical and health advice that is purported to be true reverses itself with additioanl studies. Rather confusing and disturbing.

Dekonick
09-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Hmmm -

no sources = unable to read the 'research' claims...

There are a bunch of studies that are pure crap and not valid... yet we find them frequently being used as the basis for 'medical' claims. It is important to read literature, but it is equally important to make sure any study has a sound basis, design, and has been subjected to peer review.

Without citations all this seems to me is fluff... but logically taking advil every day is not a good idea - it is hard on your system and needs to be used properly. Just because a medication is available without a scrip does not mean it is without risk. NSAIDS - lemme think... ulcers, renal failure, liver failure... not a class of medications to eat like candy.

Red wine, on the other hand, :beer:

jmason6
09-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Very interesting information.....

rockdude
09-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Hmmm -

no sources = unable to read the 'research' claims...

There are a bunch of studies that are pure crap and not valid... yet we find them frequently being used as the basis for 'medical' claims. It is important to read literature, but it is equally important to make sure any study has a sound basis, design, and has been subjected to peer review.

Without citations all this seems to me is fluff... but logically taking advil every day is not a good idea - it is hard on your system and needs to be used properly. Just because a medication is available without a scrip does not mean it is without risk. NSAIDS - lemme think... ulcers, renal failure, liver failure... not a class of medications to eat like candy.

Red wine, on the other hand, :beer:

At the leadville 100 tail run last week the chief Doctor beat it in to us not to take NSAIDS while running. In additon, the guy I was supporting sister is a MD and she lectured him not to take them... I have been hearing this for the last year and there seems to be a consenses by MD that distance racing and NSAIDA can be very dangerous for the renal gland and kidneys. I don't have the peer review research to prove the MD claims but I beat they do.....

gdw
09-03-2009, 10:31 PM
warning bikers and runners about the dangers associated with Ibuprofen since at least 1998.

Jack Brunk
09-03-2009, 10:50 PM
It's amazing how many ultra riders eat Motrin like it's a energy tablet. I have never taken aspirin or a motrin type pill during a ultra event. I'll ask riders why and the most common answer is to PREVENT muscle pain. I've had many occasions to take them but I always wait till the next day to see how I feel and rarely have taken them for muscle pain. I think it's dumb to take it if you don't need it. Richard Sach's ice bath is the best cure for sore leg muscles.

Kingfisher
09-04-2009, 04:56 AM
I lost my right kidney to cancer last year and my surgeon said absolutely no ibuprofens from here on in, too hard on my remaining kidney.