PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Longevity

kgrooney
09-03-2009, 12:01 PM
With no damage of any kind, how long should a helmet be kept before being discarded?

Charles M
09-03-2009, 12:13 PM
depends on use and climate...

crap answer ...

Really as soon as you see the inside foam start to degrade, note cracking along the shell edges, you should dump it.

Past that, manufacturers will tell you how long if you email them.

Ken Robb
09-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I have read differing opinions from "experts". Some say the foam loses its ability to perform as designed in 3-5 years. Some say it lasts almost forever. I think I'd replace one after 5 years or the first oh @#%&*+ off a bike.

bobswire
09-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Depends on who you talk to. The manufacturer may claim they last 3-5 years but suggest you buy a new one every year if you are style conscious or want to wear what the Big boys wear.

Me, I'm kinda frugal....

BumbleBeeDave
09-03-2009, 12:56 PM
. . . but I have difficulty trusting the manufacturers telling me to buy a new helmet every year when they have such a conflict of interest.

BBD

Jawn P
09-03-2009, 02:41 PM
My job is to sell helmets to the unsuspecting public, but we tell people every five years due to UV rays making the foam unsafe.

eddief
09-03-2009, 02:44 PM
inner pads being odiferous and worn out.

it was an older Bell model. sent a request to their customer service dept for new pads and they came in the mail free of charge.

old helmet, new pads. good enough for me.

Acotts
09-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I just use the smell test. :)

Blue Jays
09-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Base the decision on the overall value of your head.
Mine is worth changing every 3 years or so. Currently using Bell Sweep R.

Volant
09-03-2009, 03:16 PM
I trade-out my mt. helmet (every 2 years) more often than road (every 3-4). The mt. tends to get funky faster.

WadePatton
09-03-2009, 04:23 PM
maybe all yall are too young to remember styrofoam minnow buckets and beer coolers--hell beer coozies as well. even the flotation blocks for docks... sure the purposes are different, but the material is the same.

they never fell apart from uv. they always lasted until cracked or punctured or exposed to solvents-such as gasoline.

and they weren't wrapped in plastic like our helmets are.

my atb helmet is so old that bell won't send me pads for it. i run mine until i want a new color or style, or it takes an impact. it's my head. you do what you want.

BumbleBeeDave
09-03-2009, 08:46 PM
. . . are ten years old. I keep them in my closet when not riding and always make sure to not leave them in the sun or in the hot car. I wash out the pads and straps and don't throw them around. I see no noticeable degradation of the foam in any of them. I'm sure part of the reason for the "advice" from the helmet companies is due to liability concerns, since they can't possibly enforce how well--or how badly--any one takes care of their helmet. But I also have no doubt that another part of that "expert advice" from the helmet companies is designed to sell more helmets.

BBD

peanutgallery
09-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Depends on who you talk to. The manufacturer may claim they last 3-5 years but suggest you buy a new one every year if you are style conscious or want to wear what the Big boys wear.

Me, I'm kinda frugal....

Had one of those, in 1990. How do you keep looking so tight?

soulspinner
09-04-2009, 06:04 PM
depends on use and climate...

crap answer ...

Really as soon as you see the inside foam start to degrade, note cracking along the shell edges, you should dump it.

Past that, manufacturers will tell you how long if you email them.

Left mine in my mudroom upside down in UV light and the foam turned to concrete in less than two seasons. Bell Ghisallo.... :butt:

false_Aest
09-04-2009, 06:13 PM
as with anything safety related:

If you're starting to wonder, it's time to replace.

Erik.Lazdins
09-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Would it be better to buy a full mask motorcycle helmet and not worry about it?
:)

My helmet is the same one since 2000 - I wear a cap under it and haven't thought about it - most of my rides are at 4AM when its dark though so no UV!

Elefantino
09-04-2009, 08:11 PM
I sweat like a pig and ride in hot Fla. sun.

I buy new helmets every couple of years.

ciclisto
09-04-2009, 10:20 PM
helmets are to be replaced once any type of damage to the protective styrofoam is noted. Dents, cracks, melting. Motorcycle helmets are in the same category and are tested more severely. They claim 5 years is a good rule. I recently replaced a 4 year old Giro when I noticed a crack, to investigate, since I was going to throw it away, I pushed on the crack and the whole thing cracked like pie crust. It was kept in a dark place when not used. One year is self serving on the LBS or helmet co. AS always one crash and they are used up, as can crush styrofoam only once.