PDA

View Full Version : Classic Bikes: sell? restore? any value?

572cv
09-03-2009, 09:50 AM
I've two old bikes, one from the 60's (yes, a previous century) and one from the late 70's. The older is a red ALLEGRO from Switzerland, reynolds 531 frame, really lovely ride, mishmash of quality parts (stronglight crank& headset; Guidon Phillipe bars; SR stem; C.Record rear derailleur and pedals; Weiman front brake; Zeus seat post; Dura Ace front Derailleur and rear brake- hows that for a world bike?) . The other is an AustroDaimler from about 79 with all Campy Record and in good condition. Both are rideable. So. What to do. Right now they just hang in the barn. I might someday want to tune up one or the other, or maybe there is a market and a real deep interest in one or the other or both which would convince me to overcome my packrat instinct and send to a good home....

I'd be interested in opinions and options others might have considered. Thanks!

William
09-03-2009, 09:59 AM
We need pictures!!! :banana:

William

dannyg1
09-03-2009, 10:15 AM
There is a market, of that you can be sure.

Ken Robb
09-03-2009, 10:38 AM
bikeforums.com (I think) has a classic section where much info and hardware is exchanged. OTOH, if they fit you you may be surprised how much fun they are to ride. Or try Classic Rendezvous.

mpetry
09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
I love vintage bikes, you can have a lot of fun and in many cases not much money! They have a relaxed, functional feel to them that modern bikes have lost, or moved beyond.

I've not found much of interest on bikeforums. By far the better resource is "Classic Rendezvous" which can be found at classicrendezvous.com - some great people and discussion topics are available, and answers to most every question you can think of. Also check out Bicycle Quarterly magazine - every issue is full of information on vintage and modern bikes, tested, compared, and analyzed. Very worthwhile.

I think the real question for you is this: First, do you enjoy riding these old bikes and fixing / restoring them? And second, do you want a "rider" or a wall hanger to admire? I think the answers to these questions will help you decide where to go with these bikes.

I offer the following suggestions: Don't expect to get rich collecting vintage bikes. While there are some bikes, like Rene Herse or Confente, that is found in a barn might bring $1000s, most vintage bikes - even nice ones - will change hands for between $500 and $1500. Also, don't spend money on a vintage bike that does'nt fit, you, or you don't enjoy riding. Last, work on it yourself - do your own repairs.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Waldo
09-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Take all the (Super/Nuovo) Record stuff off of the Austro Daimler, put it on the Allegro. Keep the Allegro, sell the rest.

572cv
09-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks for these suggestions. I will post some pictures. While I haven't done that before,it looks straightforward. I'll try to get these up over the weekend.

I hadn't considered the idea of keeping the Allegro with Campy gear on it. That is an interesting idea. However, the old swiss bike has French threads, and I would have to get a different bottom bracket at the least.

I appreciate you all taking the time to offer thoughts.

zray67
09-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Older bikes work for me because of size. It is easier to finder a 63cm bike from the 80's and earlier then it is to find one from the nineties on up to the current year. I do own a Merckx(Ti) and Serotta(Steel) in 63cm but they took a while to find. All my older bikes came off Craigs List or Ebay and for very reasonable prices. It is the older bikes that probably bring me the greatest joy. I joined a bike co-op and learnt to work on bikes. I am currently trying to learn how to built wheels. Do I make money on the bikes? No! But, I get the satisfaction of making something myself and probably the most important benefit is sharing in the camaraderie of the co-op.