PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit

LegendRider
09-03-2009, 06:21 AM
I did my first Crossfit workout last night. After nearly 20 years of riding coupled with complete neglect for strength training, I expected it to be tough. I was not disappointed.

I plan to do Crossfit until next spring (riding season). However, I was very surprised that the instructor recommends 5x per week for maximum benefit. He said a minimum of 3x per week. That sounds like too much intensity. I was thinking of Tues and Thurs evenings with rides on the weekends.

Any thoughts on an appropriate schedule for a 42 masters rider.

rugbysecondrow
09-03-2009, 06:41 AM
I started doing crossfit a few years ago when I was still playing rugby. Crossfit is awesome and I am looking to get back into it after my back heals well.

They recommend 3 days on 1 day off. You can look here http://www.crossfit.com/ where they post a daily workout you can do.

Additionally, there is a crossfit endurance http://www.crossfitendurance.com/ that might work out well. I have read that people recommened focusing on one program and using the other to augment (main crossfit with some of the endurance or doing the endurance program and working in the main crossfit).

Either way, it is good. I like the reliance on simple exercises (pull-ups, push-ups, dips, air squats, box jumps) that you can pretty much do anywhere. Also, it seems to use exercises that focus on full body rather that curls or leg extensions that isololate your muscles for vanity purposes.

Lastly, I like that they are quick, no fool'n around workouts. Get in, get out and no mess'n about.

Cheers

Acotts
09-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Crossfit is the best workout routine ever made if you can find a workout buddy.

Its kinda tough to do it all alone. All the plyo stuff sucks, but is can be real fun when trying to show up your buddy.

-A

Oirad
09-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Although I never frequented a Crossfit affiliate, I was devoted to their workout of the day for about a year. Like the other posters here, I highly recommend it, especially for recreational (most of the folks that post here) or even serious amateur cyclists who want great base fitness for their riding. Precisely because it is not sport specific, it is helpful (if you get my meaning). The 3 day on 1 day off routine is sensible and you'll need the day off if you do it right and if you ride too! To my mind, the better workouts are the short and hard ones, like "Grace" (30 clean and jerks for time), the longer ones, such as the Filthy Fifty, can be real slogs, although important I suppose because they build strength endurance and compel you to "tough it out". Although I don't go for rides every day, I find that my overall and riding fitness has been improved by following a similar program to CF that combines some of the strength/power routines with the met-cons (metabolic conditioning = fast and furious workouts) to be found at www.performancemenu.com. The focus there is on the Oly lifts which I thoroughly enjoy doing.

-- Oirad