PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum recs please

vqdriver
09-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Is there such a thing as a comfy al frame?
Recommendations?

jeffg
09-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Love#3, double-century tested personally

Perhaps a Co-motion by Hampsten?

You could also try an Orbea Arin (sold outside the US still, I believe) ...

Blue Jays
09-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Gaulzetti or Hampsten CoMotion

CaptStash
09-03-2009, 02:49 AM
The Felt F-75 is still the best deal on wheels for an entry level race bike. Aluminum frame with carbon seat stays gives it compliance and plenty of bottom bracket stiffness.

I recently bought a Felt F-55 and recycled the good bits then rebuilt it with a Shimano 105 drivetrain. Rode it for a good 100 miles before I sold it off and have to say it was a nice ride. Same frame as the F-75. And then there's Cannondale. Awesome aluminum stuff.

CaptStash....

erector
09-03-2009, 02:55 AM
I've ridden the Marcelo on centuries, and a love#3 just around, they're both AWESOME rides

Climb01742
09-03-2009, 05:36 AM
there are often colnago dream frames on ebay. the fate of alu bikes is sad. in many ways, it's an ideal material for lots of types of riding and it's affordable. as has oft been lamented here, wouldn't you love a serotta alu frame??

jtferraro
09-03-2009, 07:09 AM
I have 2 Cannondale CAAD9's right now - one w/BB30 - and love them both. You definitely can't beat aluminum for a light weight, stiff, bang for the buck race frame. I've done 4 day stage races on the CAAD9 and a 105 mile charity ride this summer. No problemo. Other built in USA aluminum frames to consider - Gaulzetti (as mentioned) and Spooky. I have no experience with either, but wouldn't hesitate to purchase one. Both Craig (Gaulzetti) & Mickey (Spooky) post regularly 'across the hall' and are stand up guys (met Craig in person). I'd love to experience the Love#3 someday...we'll see. I'm sure it's a dream, but it's in an entirely different league/price bracket.

P.S. Since the BB30 frame is replacing my other/regular one, I'll be soon selling that 56cm frameset, if you have any interest.

William
09-03-2009, 07:32 AM
I had an Aluminum Bianchi Reparto Corse frame that was a tad too small for me but I really enjoyed. I still remember the first ride on it and that sort of direct drive feel you get from Alum. I thought it was very comfortable...nothing like the harsh ride horror stories you hear sometimes. I sold it and haven’t been on Aluminum since then. Now I’m looking forward to getting the Big Boy CAAD C-Dale from Liberace so I can ride another beer can ( I say that with love!).

Buying new in the Aluminum set, Spooky and Gaulzetti have my eye. Lots of other good mentions so far though.

William

jemoryl
09-03-2009, 07:39 AM
My Basso Reef is very comfortable - my first choice bike for a long ride. Don't think they are currently imported into the US.

flydhest
09-03-2009, 07:48 AM
25c tires at 95 psi on just about anything . . .

Climb01742
09-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Buying new in the Aluminum set, Spooky and Gaulzetti have my eye. Lots of other good mentions so far though.

since others mentioned gaulzetti...i was lucky enough to see a batch of the bikes fresh out of paint. they look great. workmanship appears top-notch. there was even a special one-off color scheme...all red...strangely like the fav color of a noted builder...if someone of that ilk (isn't ilk a great word?) is ready to ride a g-bike, well... ;)

William
09-03-2009, 07:54 AM
since others mentioned gaulzetti...i was lucky enough to see a batch of the bikes fresh out of paint. they look great. workmanship appears top-notch. there was even a special one-off color scheme...all red...strangely like the fav color of a noted builder...if someone of that ilk (isn't ilk a great word?) is ready to ride a g-bike, well... ;)

Was it Twizzler Red? ;)

William

soupless
09-04-2009, 09:56 AM

+1

I used Gel bar tape and let just a touch of air out of the tires to help mitigate the stiffness of my CAAD9 when riding on Chicago's very poor roads.

TimD
09-04-2009, 10:13 AM
With a suspension seatpost, 25mm tires, carbon fork, and bar gel under the tape is reasonably comfortable, but it would never be confused with an Ottrott ST.

caleb
09-04-2009, 10:21 AM
I have a 7005 Yaqui time trial bike made by Ves Mandaric (one of the original guys at Quintana Roo). It's super comfortable. He builds road bikes under the "Mandaric (http://www.mandaric.com/) " label, and I bet he'd do one in aluminum. He's a bit crotchety, but the bike will be awesome.

Otherwise, Rock Lobster, Primus Mootry, or Spooky could deliver what you're looking for without breaking the bank. I bet my next bike will be from one of these three.

Also, and a bit more mass produced, I know lots of guys who ride Bianchi San Lorenzos and love them.

54ny77
09-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I'll toss my hat into this ring. Pics & review, from beginning to end, can be found here:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56395

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/IMG_4934.jpg

GuyGadois
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I am sure there are comfy AL bikes out there (i think) but of all the materials I own (steel, carbon, AL, Ti), AL is dead last in comfiness.

-GG-

slates
09-04-2009, 12:00 PM
new CAAD9 or Cervelo S1...S1 probably a stiffer ride and may depend on your weight.

Big Dan
09-04-2009, 12:13 PM
CAAD9 is a great ride. For comfort I sit on my couch.... :p

zap
09-04-2009, 03:42 PM

I would say anything as 25c tires @ 95psi will make an anvil ride like an early 70's caddy with busted shocks. Like the caddy, sucks at high speeds.

If you can find nos and it fits, Klein. C-dale is an excellent choice too.

Climb01742
09-05-2009, 08:44 AM
I'll toss my hat into this ring. Pics & review, from beginning to end, can be found here:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56395

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/IMG_4934.jpg

at $600, this has to qualify as the official frame of the recession. it looks very cool and according to your write-up, it's an amazing value. well done and enjoy!

54ny77
09-05-2009, 08:55 AM
yes and yes.

funny thing is, they've been roughly similar price for years.

was riding with a guy here in nyc who told me tsunami's were their team bike several years ago. said they were like $500 back then as well.

joe's a retired guy who clearly loves bikes, and races himself--so he knows a thing or two about what works. in his words, he does this for fun, which is cool. i hope to be doing something like that one day.

i like the pics he sent me of his garage workshop. somehow i can just envision his wife saying, "honey, lunch is ready!" just before tack welding a frame in the jig...

i'm trying to figure out how i can get him to build a tandem for my wife and i to ride together--have to get her interested in the idea first...

at $600, this has to qualify as the official frame of the recession. it looks very cool and according to your write-up, it's an amazing value. well done and enjoy!

JeffreyG
09-05-2009, 10:00 AM
I see the old Pinarello Marvel frame sets on closeout all over the internet. It was probably one of the smoothest Al framesets ever made.