PDA

View Full Version : why can't i sell my bike?

oldstyle1968
09-02-2009, 12:55 PM
x

sc53
09-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Anything will sell at the *right* price--which is usually 75% lower than you think your item is worth.

caleb
09-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Most used bikes sell for less than half of retail, sometimes significantly less. It's not uncommon, for example, for a lightly used Meivici that retailed for $8k+ to be sold used for $2-3k.

If your price is in the ballpark, it may be an odd geo or something that just needs the right buyer.

mandasol
09-02-2009, 01:22 PM
1. 1st time poster
2. Kooky set up and the front shifting doesn't even work
3. Odd geometry: looong top tube vs. seat tube
4. Price considering age and components

goonster
09-02-2009, 01:22 PM
If I read your ad correctly, the top tube (57 cm) is quite long w.r.t. the seat tube (53 cm). That may make it hard for many to set up with drop bars, and might therefore narrow the pool of potential buyers somewhat, imho.

Nice bike though . . .

djg
09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, there's always the question of price (especially as a fair number of folks -- although certainly not all of them -- are being cautious these days) but looking at the ad, two things stand out. So, maybe this is just me, but one is that the measurements seem atypical: 53 x 57 might be a perfect fit for some folks, and workable for more, but -- recognizing that the linear measures don't tell us everything about the geo -- it's a bit outside the norm for standard road sizes and maybe a bit more for standard cross sizes. The other is that it's a very particular commuter setup that might sell better as parts: it's hard to look at that build and think cyclocross, even if the frame would make for a fine cross bike; and even if some of the parts would appeal to lots of folks; and when you start talking about commuter builds, different folks envision all sorts of different things. Just off-the-cuff, and maybe off base, but that's what struck me.

Lifelover
09-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Strange Geo, strange build, high price.

Some very cool parts, just a strange total package.

Keep it or try breaking it up to sell.

csm
09-02-2009, 01:38 PM
is it possible that it is a semi-compact frame design? that would be more in line with a 53 seat tube and 57 top tube I think.

JeffS
09-02-2009, 02:21 PM
1. 1st time poster
2. Kooky set up and the front shifting doesn't even work
3. Odd geometry: looong top tube vs. seat tube
4. Price considering age and components

yep

Plus, you shouldn't be calling that bike a cyclocross bike. Maybe it could be, but it's certainly not the way it's sitting.

John M
09-02-2009, 03:23 PM
With that component mix/set-up on a frame of that age and geo, I would guess $600-700 is what you could get.

Maybe you could get $400 for the frame/fork/hs on eBay since the paint does look pretty good.

54ny77
09-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks. You just convinced me to keep a bike I was considering selling. :beer:

Most used bikes sell for less than half of retail, sometimes significantly less. It's not uncommon, for example, for a lightly used Meivici that retailed for $8k+ to be sold used for $2-3k.

If your price is in the ballpark, it may be an odd geo or something that just needs the right buyer.

oldstyle1968
09-02-2009, 04:37 PM
this is good stuff, i need a high tech slap in the face. i'm kind of a snatch up a deal and adjust it with components type. i'm not racing or riding across the country so i'm not worried about incorrect geometry. just shooting around the city. i didn't have a front derailluer on for a few years (didn't need one on the flat chicago grid) so i put that xt on there for selling purposes. works fine, just won't squeeze in that last drop. yeah, don't call it a cross, it's a commuter. y'all would get a kick out of my steamroller with same bars and coaster brake with salsa 29er rims with 1 5/8 tires. it's like riding a basketball. oh yeah.

xjoex
09-02-2009, 09:09 PM
That is a really neat commuter. I think with the build you have on it now you could get $500 for it.

The cruiser bars are scaring away the cross crowd.

Throw more cross like build (bars and a double) and you could get $750 on ebay easy.

-Joe