PDA

View Full Version : Temporarily in DC Area- Rides?

dohearne
02-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Due to the impending birth of my first grandchildren (twin girls in April), my wife and I are temporarily relocating to Alexandria, VA to help our son and daughter-in-law. We will be only a couple of miles from Mt. Vernon and the Mt. Vernon trail which I usually bike when there. But what other recommendations are there for rides in the area? Coming from Vermont, I will definitely not be ready for much traffic.

Smiley
02-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Check out the ride schedule of the largest local club www.bikepptc.org , they are very welcoming to new riders that want to join in the ride . You can also call me and we'll hook you up with our group of riders thats if you can stand us ..Sandy , Spectrum Bob , Too Tall , Zap , Tim B and others too long of a list to name them all . pm me for my e-mail or just drop me an e-mail and we'll get together . Smiley

Don
02-05-2005, 01:54 PM
DH, take Smiley up on his offer! When the guy found out my wife and I were going to visit my son and his family in Bethesda, Smiley and his lovely wife, Karen, insisted we join them and other members of the Potomac Pedlers for a ride. The experience was an example of what's so unique and good with the Serotta Forum and its participants! Don

dohearne
02-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Don, I have taken Smiley up on his offer and plan to call him as soon as I am in the DC area. Thanks for the testimony to his generosity and kindness.

palincss
02-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Due to the impending birth of my first grandchildren (twin girls in April), my wife and I are temporarily relocating to Alexandria, VA to help our son and daughter-in-law. We will be only a couple of miles from Mt. Vernon and the Mt. Vernon trail which I usually bike when there. But what other recommendations are there for rides in the area? Coming from Vermont, I will definitely not be ready for much traffic.

I live in Alexandria, VA. In addition to being a member of PPTC (I do PPTC's web site) I am also a member of the Oxon Hill Bicycle Club. Oxon Hill's ride starts are often closer to my home. Most OHBC rides are in Soutern Maryland, and coming from Vermont you'll think the terrain is flat.

Oxon Hill's web site is http://ohbike.org

dohearne
02-06-2005, 09:06 PM
I live in Alexandria, VA. In addition to being a member of PPTC (I do PPTC's web site) I am also a member of the Oxon Hill Bicycle Club. Oxon Hill's ride starts are often closer to my home. Most OHBC rides are in Soutern Maryland, and coming from Vermont you'll think the terrain is flat.

Oxon Hill's web site is http://ohbike.org

Thanks for the additional information on biking in the DC area. BTW, the PPTC website is very nice. You do good work. Maybe I will see you some time this spring!

va rider
02-06-2005, 10:15 PM
check out bikewashington.org for some great rides in the area. I really like the Blue ridger and skyline drive ride. Great hills.