PDA

View Full Version : Right '04 Chorus shifter issue

katematt
09-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Rebuilt the left, working great with the help of the forum and youtube and wouldn't you know it, the right is now acting up.

Simply, the inner lever, won't move at all. After pushing it the thumb lever will click down one, but thats it. Something is stuck. G spring searches have told me that when they start to go things get mushy, but in this case its just not moving at all.

Happy to buy parts and rebuild, but not sure which ones.

Thanks.

Dave
09-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Since it's broke, you might as well take it apart and see what's broken. If in doubt, you get the g-springs, the g-spring retainer and maybe the index gear.

My personal opinion is that the 2009 ultrashift levers are such an improvment and so cheap that it's a great time to stop putting time and money into the old shifters and move on to the new design. I sold all of my old shifters and now have three bikes with the ultrashift levers. No regrets.

For $190, you get new shifters with a new cableset worth about $50.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=CAMPGRSS9430000 00000

Centaur shifters have all the same quality as Record, just with 10 speed indexing. Of course the Veloce shifters are even cheaper with aluminum brake lever (same internals).

maunahaole
09-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Dave is the campy guru, so his advice is golden.

If the mouse ear is sticky, putting a little drop of lube on it and trying to work it free. I have had corrosion problems in the pivot in there before. You will need to peel the hood back to access the pivot. Use a small amount of lube and be gentle with the wiggling at first. See if that helps.

Dave
09-02-2009, 04:54 PM
The post above made me think that the most common reason the finger lever won't move at all is the thumb button is not in the fully released (up) position. Just a slight pressure on the button will make the finger lever impossible to move. Might just need lube or perhaps the brake hood is rubbing on it. Try pulling up on the button and see if the finger lever can then be moved.

katematt
09-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Will try the external solution first, consider the rebuild over a beer, then more than likely purchase the ultra shift. After doing the left (snapped paddle lever which took a couple of hours) I am thinking the right would be a little more complicated inside.

Very much appreciate the help.

Tom

Marcusaurelius
09-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I have reservations about the 2009 ultra shift levers. The biggest problem is the lack of a click when you shift. I also think the new design is okay but I'm not sure it's better than the previous design.

-dustin
09-04-2009, 11:02 AM
echoing what's been said, the thumb lever is likely not returning. can be as simple as cleaning and lubing the little tiny spring on the underside of the thumb button. it's one of those things where you can either fix it w/o taking it all apart, or it has to be replaced. $20 for the part.

I'd say rebuild if necessary rather than purchasing new shifters.

Dave
09-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I have reservations about the 2009 ultra shift levers. The biggest problem is the lack of a click when you shift. I also think the new design is okay but I'm not sure it's better than the previous design.

Only the 10 speed versions have the light click from the right finger lever and that may have been cured by a running change. It requires a redesigned index disc.

The 11 speed shifters have plenty of feel and sound from the right finger lever clicks, but they are still lighter.

The thumb buttons and left finger lever have plenty of click in both 10 and 11 speed versions.

The new mechanism is much easier to repair than the old. The brake hood comfort is improved and the brake lever works better.

katematt
09-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Lets just say I am thankful that Dave thought some more about the issue. Thumb lever was not fully released. Gave it a light push up and it works like a charm.

Saved the wknd labor days rides.

Thanks.

soulspinner
09-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Being 5 years old, when you do open up the right shifter, even if if the old indexer works, replace it. Mine quit holding a gear at about 22000 miles(second g spring).