PDA

View Full Version : Question RE: Small pump

rugbysecondrow
09-02-2009, 08:28 AM
I am looking for a small pump that I can use on my rides, but more importantly I can I travel with. I have a travel bike (Ritchey Breakaway) that I really enjoy, but would like to have a pump that is convenient to take with me, but also will go above 90psi.

Thanks and let me know any recommendations you may have.

Paul

Birddog
09-02-2009, 08:43 AM
I have this one and it is very nice. It pumps about .75 lbs per stroke by my rough estimate. So about 125 strokes to get to 100 (on a 700/23 tire). There is no gauge, but it won't wear you out.
http://www.velo-orange.com/leprdrmmipu.html
I believe I paid about $32 for it. Shop around.

Birddog

martinrjensen
09-02-2009, 08:46 AM
it's the smallest pump I have ever had but it's also the best small pump. I can easily pump up to 80-90 lps with it. check it out. I highly recomend it.I am looking for a small pump that I can use on my rides, but more importantly I can I travel with. I have a travel bike (Ritchey Breakaway) that I really enjoy, but would like to have a pump that is convenient to take with me, but also will go above 90psi.

Thanks and let me know any recommendations you may have.

Paul

EddieBirdsell
09-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Hey Paul,

I'm in the same boat with my Travelers Check. I was looking at some of the Lezyne pumps. Most have a small tube at the end where the valve connects to the valve stem, which seems like a good idea to me. Last trip with my travel bike I broke two or three valves using two different pumps.

I think I've seen some positive reviews either here or across the hall.

EddieB

jlwdm
09-02-2009, 09:18 AM
The Lezyne had some recent positive reviews across the hall. Lezyne has a variety of small pumps.

Jeff

Ken Robb
09-02-2009, 09:33 AM
ATMO the size of a pump is similar to its "leverage" i.e. a shorter pump is like a shorter lever. To accomplish the same amount of work you are going to have to apply more pressure (if that's even possible) or provide more pumps.

Therefore I gave up on my short pumps in favor of full-size silca or Zefal HPX. I often just have a CO2 inflater unless it's going to be a ride where the probability of multiple flats is high and/or I won't be near a store where I can buy more CO2.

After all this blather my point (finally) is I would think that packing a big pump would be easy since they are shorter than some of your bike parts like wheels.

paczki
09-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Lezynes are far and away the best pumps I've ever used, and I've used a lot. No valve stem breakage, small, elegant and quick inflation. No reason to buy any other.
Same goes with floor pumps.

EddieBirdsell
09-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Anyone have a particular model Lezyne to recommend? They offer about a bizillion different models.

Every time I sit down to buy one on the interweb, I get frustrated with trying to figure out exactly what model is right for me and end up never getting around to it.

stormyClouds
09-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Anyone have a particular model Lezyne to recommend? They offer about a bizillion different models.

Every time I sit down to buy one on the interweb, I get frustrated with trying to figure out exactly what model is right for me and end up never getting around to it.

I bought the Lezyne Pressure Drive and really like it.
It is hard to get a feel for the size in the pictures on their site, but I bought the medium size and it isn't much longer than a water bottle (it mounts under a bottle cage). THe small one must be tiny.
Nice product - bought it for approx. $35.

Steve in SLO
09-02-2009, 09:57 AM

+1 on Lezyne.

The model breakdown is as follows:

Hose and threaded adapter--these are great:
Alloy Drive, Carbon Drive--90 PSI max. Fat chamber for bigger tires
Pressure Drive--120 PSI
Road Drive--160 PSI

No hose; regular locking head:
Air Drive--90 PSI

Sm, Md, Lg pertains to length of pump.

I use a pressure drive for my roadie and an alloy drive on my MTB. Both are top notch, as is my floor pump.

totally_fixxate
09-02-2009, 10:37 AM
http://www.quickex.com/default.asp?id=200&pId=143

pjmsj21
09-02-2009, 11:30 AM

I found it a bit confusing as well and contacted Lezyne and received this reply which helps clarify a bit. I ended up going with the medium size Road Drive.

Hi Pat,

The great thing about our pumps is that we offer multiple models optimized to meet specific needs of riders of all types.

As a roadie, you have 2 types of pumps to choose from which are as follows:

Road Drive:
Designed for road use and the elite road rider – 160 psi max, presta-only
Comes in two sizes: medium and large. The medium is compact and can fit in a jersey pocket with very little of the pump extending outside of the pocket, but is more efficient than most pumps of its size and rivals some frame pumps. The large is a little faster at filling a tire due to the added length and is best mounted to the frame using our included cnc’d aluminum bracket. The Large functions as well as, if not better than, most frame pumps currently available.
If you are really particular about getting that 110 psi pressure, I would go with the Road Drive; it will reach that pressure more easily. Medium if you are looking for compact size and storage. Large for faster inflation of tires (fewer strokes).

Pressure Drive:
Design for road riders and cycling enthusiasts – 120 psi max, presta/schadder compatible.
Comes in two sizes: medium and small. The medium is about the size of the medium road drive and functions just as well, but only 120 psi capable. The small is great if you are looking of an ultra-compact pump that functions better than most pumps twice its size.
If you are looking for an efficient pump in an ultra-compact size, I’d go for a Pressure Drive.

You should also look at our Pen Gauge. It is an inline pressure gauge that replaces the stock hose that comes with your pump but gives you the added precision of a gauge. It is compatible with the Road and Pressure Drive pumps of size Medium or larger. Also, our pumps are designed to be efficient and easy to use, so we do not gauge their performance solely on “how many pumps does it take to hit ____ psi?”.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

jlwdm
09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
http://www.quickex.com/default.asp?id=200&pId=143

totally_fixxate:

What is your experience with this pump? I bought one a couple of years ago and have never tried it out. I have been purely a cartridge guy.

Thanks.

Jeff

MilanoTom
09-02-2009, 12:00 PM
I use the Barbieri Carb One. It takes a lot of strokes, but will get tires good and hard. The downside is that the cap doesn't fit very tight, nor is there any kind of way to lock the pump closed, so I tape it all shut with a couple wraps of vinyl tape.

http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-1-323-15328-1,00.html

Regards,
Tom

EddieBirdsell
09-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Awesome info, thanks guys.

Anybody ever tried the Micro Floor Drive HPG? It looks like a frame-mounted mini floor pump that has the pressure gauge included. No chance for valve stem breakage with that one.

cassa
09-02-2009, 12:56 PM
We too were looking for a pump we could easily travel with -- my wife rode America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride in Tahoe this year. We bought the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive, and she really likes it (enough to get rid of her CO2 system altogether). It has a quite long hose connecting the body to the valve, and a fold-down metal foot so you can put the pump on the ground and pump like a regular floor pump.

The pump mounts next to/under the water bottle cage. It takes up more space than their other pumps, but it has never gotten in my wife's way. It's also lighter than it looks. We've used it several times to fix flats on group rides, and it is easy to use and works.

We bought the one with the gauge (HPG), but the gauge has never really worked, so I would save your money and get the one without (HP).

EddieBirdsell
09-02-2009, 01:06 PM
We too were looking for a pump we could easily travel with -- my wife rode America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride in Tahoe this year. We bought the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive, and she really likes it (enough to get rid of her CO2 system altogether). It has a quite long hose connecting the body to the valve, and a fold-down metal foot so you can put the pump on the ground and pump like a regular floor pump.

The pump mounts next to/under the water bottle cage. It takes up more space than their other pumps, but it has never gotten in my wife's way. It's also lighter than it looks. We've used it several times to fix flats on group rides, and it is easy to use and works.

We bought the one with the gauge (HPG), but the gauge has never really worked, so I would save your money and get the one without (HP).

Cassa,

Thanks much for the info, and welcome to the forum.

Super helpful first post. :beer:

572cv
09-02-2009, 01:23 PM
I'd just add that I have a very light, capable pump from Axiom, a Canadian company that makes some pretty nice bike accessories. Here's their pump page:

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/pumps/

rugbysecondrow
09-02-2009, 01:23 PM
thanks everybody, I really appreciate!

Paul

mandasol
09-02-2009, 01:25 PM
+1 on the topeak micro rocket - not because it's great but because it's my good luck charm - no flats since I bought it.

Hope that didn't jinx me.

Kirk007
09-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Its ugly but I really like it for my travel bike - acts like a floor pump, has a passable guage, yet fits on the bike easily.

bpm
09-03-2009, 01:02 PM
I'll add my vote for the Lezyne pumps. I have the Pressure Drive S. I've had to use it 4 times since I got it and I've let others use it maybe 5 or 6 more. It's very light, is very easy to use, and the manufacturing quality appears excellent. I run my tires about 100 psi and have no problem reaching that with a reasonable amount of strokes. I actually carry it in a jersey pocket and it barely sticks out over the top of the pocket.

slugbottle
09-03-2009, 06:35 PM
+1 for Topeak Road Morph, if you have space in a saddlebag for it. The frame mounting unit isn't very solid. But it can blow a tire off the rim - very powerful. Has foot peg, fold-down handle, and gauge. But it's too long to fit in a pocket. Very nice to keep in a Carradice on long brevets.