PDA

View Full Version : When did pegoretti change the fork rakes....

amator
09-02-2009, 02:23 AM
With some relevance to the thread on 140/150 thread I posted earlier .
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=63199

So Im at this guys house helping him do his yearly scrub down and dip with Linseed oil when I noticed his Reynolds Fork of his size 57 2003 Duende is a 43 rake and his 2007 size 55 Love 3's reynolds fork is 45 rake and i thought it was just builder spec with different HTA and different fork rake.

I go back and check and realise that the Frame Geometry posted specced 45 rake for all sizes.

Question: Did 2003 and below (pre-columbus) tubes come with 43 rake forks and/or different geometry to compensate?....

... this may also shed some light how he ended up with a 55 size Love 3 with longer stem after complaining that the 57 he borrowed felt very squirelly compared to his 2003 57 Duende and how much tighter and more planted he felt with a smaller size /longer stem combo.

Peter P.
09-02-2009, 06:28 AM
It could have been an convenient substitution for an out of stock fork/rake. And the fewer parts inventoried by the vendor, the better.

It's also possible the fork is supplied by the importer and not Pegoretti and the importer was being lazy, didn't care, etc.

2mm is not a significant difference. I read somewhere that 3mm was considered the minimum difference in rake that would produce a perceptible difference in handling; anything less was not worth trying. I can speak from experience that 5mm IS noticeable.

Also, the reason 43mm is quite the ubiquitous rake among fork manufacturers is because it's between the most common rakes, 40 and 45mm. Many frame manufacturers shamelessly will use the "generic" 43 as a substitute for the other two.

Smiley
09-02-2009, 06:52 AM
use this tool to calculate the front end Trail cause that what I'd care about:

http://kogswell.com/geoSLIDE.php

And I'd favor a slower front end, and agree with Peter that somebody got lazy but disagree that there is no differences, if so Serotta would not build so many different fork rakes.

amator
09-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Someone else with a size 52 marcelo(2002/3) is pretty sure his reynolds is 43 rake and from a different distributor. It isnt conclusive as he wont dismantle his fork just to check the sticker based on my hunch.

I'm pretty sensitive to fork rake and the 2mm was discernable to me at low speeds.

zap
09-02-2009, 09:37 AM
What tolerance is specified on manufacturing docs? Plus minus 1mm?

So in this case it's possible a fork with 44mm rake could have a 43 or 45 label slapped on the steerer tube. The end user would not know the difference.

jbay
09-02-2009, 11:42 AM
So Im at this guys house helping him do his yearly scrub down and dip with Linseed oilWhat does he have? Scabies?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

-- John

Waldo
09-02-2009, 12:14 PM
I've noticed stock Pegs in my size going from 43 rake to 45. I've ridden both and the change made handling worse in my opinion.