PDA

View Full Version : Smokin' hot...

dd74
09-01-2009, 04:17 PM
The SoCal/L.A. area weather, I mean. :)

So, any of you guys riding in this floating gruel of wildfire ash, heat and humidity?

Ozz
09-01-2009, 04:27 PM
The family and I were at Disneyland / California Adventure all last week...so I was riding...uh....rides. ;)

It was bloody hot...'specially to a PNW'er.

Went into the parks in the morning and spent the afternoons at the pool.

Kids loved it....Mom & Dad are exhausted.

:beer:

TMB
09-01-2009, 04:33 PM
I live in the Okanagan Valley of BC.

We have been dealing with fires and smoke all summer from fires, at times we couldn't see across the street.

This weekend was especially bad but we had a massive thunderstorm last night that cleaned a bunch out.

Today we can see the mountains.

Tomorrow ............. ??

My sympathies to anyone in a fire zone.

And yes, I keep riding. Sometimes the air doesn't very good though.

Bud_E
09-01-2009, 05:13 PM
So far it hasn't been too gosh darn awful in West L.A. and near the coast. It's a bit smoky outside but hasn't reached the "hazardous to your health" stage because of the lack of strong winds. We've been lucky because this time of year we often get the dreaded Santa Ana winds which blow to the west off the desert in the opposite direction of the normal wind pattern. This has the affect of 1)fanning the fire, 2) blowing all the crap out to the coastal areas, 3) usually the temps are in the 90's-100's. In fact today it's kind of overcast and (relatively) cooler -- ( maybe because of the hurricane in the Pacific? ).

Having said all that, the fire season is just starting and the Santa Ana's will probably kick in over the next month or so. So check back in a few weeks.

false_Aest
09-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Allergies from smoke SUCK! Worse at night when air cools and smoke starts to settle.

Hot at home (mid-City) but ~ 10 degrees cooler at the coast.

Currently 82 degrees at work and 92 at home.

My commute is 20 miles round trip.

Sunday's ride with SoCalSteve and Co. up PCH was great.

skijoring
09-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I live in the Okanagan Valley of BC.

We have been dealing with fires and smoke all summer from fires, at times we couldn't see across the street.

This weekend was especially bad but we had a massive thunderstorm last night that cleaned a bunch out.

Today we can see the mountains.

Tomorrow ............. ??

My sympathies to anyone in a fire zone.

And yes, I keep riding. Sometimes the air doesn't very good though.

What town are you in? I have a buddy in Republic. PM me...

vqdriver
09-01-2009, 06:04 PM
no riding.
came out this morning to a driveway and car covered in ash. i live just south of JPL and la canada high school, so when the winds shifted last night it just blew smoke and ash all over us. couldn't even see the sun this morning.

we were in carlsbad over the weekend with the kids doing the legoland thing and when we came up on sunday, we could see the pillar of smoke as soon as we hit the freeway. it looked like a mushroom cloud. unreal.
i couldn't believe we were driving INTO that thing.

TMB
09-01-2009, 06:05 PM
What town are you in? I have a buddy in Republic. PM me...

It's Ok.

I'm in Kelowna.

My guess is that your friend is getting smoke too.

I drove through from Wenatchee last weekend and the stretch between Brewster and Omak had a big fire that had kicked up over the weekend.

Combine that with the fires up here, the whole valley is full of smoke.

I have to brush ash off my car every morning before I leave.

cleavel
09-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Hi,

The air is getting bad near the coast as of today. When I went to my car this morning there was a fine and light layer of ash on it. Not close to the worst that I've seen but still not anything that I want to breathe. I was thinking of riding on the road this evening but after what I saw I'm heading to the indoor velodrome for a Roger Young workout instead.

SoCalSteve
09-01-2009, 07:46 PM
I have been riding really early in the morning, not because of the smoke, because of the heat...I too live relatively close to the coast.

That being said, 55 mile ride tomorrow to Palos Verdes. I'm leaving at 7:00 AM!

Thanks for the concern! LA is a really big place. The fires are nowhere near the west side of LA (where a lot of us live).

Steve

Jack Brunk
09-01-2009, 08:13 PM
It's really bad up in my neck of the woods near the Ventura/LA border. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

cadence90
09-01-2009, 10:12 PM
I've been watching the Vuelta on Universal Sports (Channel 4.4 here), and I was wondering why I now receive Channel 22 (spanish-language) instead. I thought it was some glitch with my digital converter box (no cable).

So I looked on the U S website and it turns out the fire has severely damaged the U S antenna on Mt. Wilson. Bummer. Who knows when that will be fixed.

It's nasty here, hotter than h#&l.

Those poor firefighters.... :(

Bud_E
09-01-2009, 10:40 PM
no riding.
came out this morning to a driveway and car covered in ash. i live just south of JPL and la canada high school, so when the winds shifted last night it just blew smoke and ash all over us. couldn't even see the sun this morning.

we were in carlsbad over the weekend with the kids doing the legoland thing and when we came up on sunday, we could see the pillar of smoke as soon as we hit the freeway. it looked like a mushroom cloud. unreal.
i couldn't believe we were driving INTO that thing.

Whoa. You live right near ground zero. I guess Angeles Crest/Mt. Wilson took a lot of damage. I hope they're able to rebuild soon - awesome cycling in that area.

cadence90
09-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Wow, SoCalers, look up at the moon.

It's ORANGE!!!

Bud_E
09-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Wow, SoCalers, look up at the moon.

It's ORANGE!!!

Whew. I thought that was an x-ray of my lungs.

vqdriver
09-02-2009, 02:05 AM
A bloody sunset from here.

Socalsteve. I guess the rpv fire is all over