PDA

View Full Version : Hincapie confirms BMC

LegendRider
09-01-2009, 09:19 AM
The rumors proved to be true - Hincapie is going to BMC. I guess his Tour run is over unless BMC get a Pro Tour license. What are the odds?

What type of bikes will they ride?

(I'm kidding....)

johnnymossville
09-01-2009, 09:22 AM
They just might set themselves up for a big run at The Spring Classics and the 2nd Tier Tours. I like this move.

Climb01742
09-01-2009, 09:40 AM
did he say why he chose bmc? wonder why not lanceshack? or staying with columbia?

jlwdm
09-01-2009, 09:44 AM
With Hincapie, Ballan, Kroon and Burghardt they are definitely going for pro tour.

Jeff

LegendRider
09-01-2009, 10:01 AM
With Hincapie, Ballan, Kroon and Burghardt they are definitely going for pro tour.

Jeff

Are there enough Pro Tour licenses to add BMC and RadioShack? Who loses out?

jlwdm
09-01-2009, 10:14 AM
18 pro tour licenses in 2009.

BMC did not say if it is going to apply for a pro tour license.

Team Sky is trying to get into the tour next year also. If they get Boasson Hagen that will give them a lot of points. He is currently ranked third.

It will be interesting to see what teams are losing a lot of points.

Jeff

David Kirk
09-01-2009, 11:22 AM
did he say why he chose bmc? wonder why not lanceshack? or staying with columbia?

Maybe he really likes the bikes?

dave

1centaur
09-01-2009, 11:50 AM
If Contador can jump to Caisse I think maybe Astana could be pushed out of the Tour, one way or another.

Objectively, Ballan is not a huge Tour draw, and it's hard to imagine what BMC's Tour objectives would be with those four stars. Looks like a team built for classics to me, which would explain why Hincapie's going that route for the end of his career.

That, and seeing the futility of supporting Lance against Contador :)

After all, George has a perfect record of supporting Lance to Tour wins - why ruin it?

woolly
09-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Maybe he really likes the bikes?

dave

Oh, that's FUNNY! You crack me up!! :D

jlwdm
09-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Objectively, Ballan is not a huge Tour draw, and it's hard to imagine what BMC's Tour objectives would be with those four stars. Looks like a team built for classics to me, which would explain why Hincapie's going that route for the end of his career.

That, and seeing the futility of supporting Lance against Contador :)

George said Sunday that he was part of helping to build two teams up to being the best in the world and he wants the challenge of bringing another team up to a top level.

Jeff

LegendRider
09-01-2009, 12:28 PM
George said Sunday that he was part of helping to build two teams up to being the best in the world and he wants the challenge of bringing another team up to a top level.

Jeff

Translation = $$$$$

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

JeffreyG
09-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Translation = $$$$$

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I bet they made a deal to wear his clothing line too. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :banana:

jlwdm
09-01-2009, 04:35 PM
I bet they made a deal to wear his clothing line too. :

I read and article on the clothing contract for Saxo Bank (pre Saxo Bank) a few years ago and you would really have to sell a lot of clothing to come out ahead.

The company pays a large fee to the team and then provided something like 39,000 pieces of clothing for all the team and support personnel.

Jeff

simple
09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
From Assos to Hincapie Sportswear. Based on my experience with both I bet the riders are PISSED.

Idris Icabod
09-02-2009, 01:07 PM
I was chatting with a fellow a few weeks ago who claimed to be in the know regarding Hincapie. He said that he would go to a new team and that said team would be wearing Hincapie clothing. He told me that the team wanted $500,000 for that honour but the quote that was attributed to Hincapie's brother was "if you wan't George then you wear the clothes for free". I did think the guy was kind of full of $hit but perhaps I was wrong.

Polyglot
09-03-2009, 12:06 AM
I read and article on the clothing contract for Saxo Bank (pre Saxo Bank) a few years ago and you would really have to sell a lot of clothing to come out ahead.

The company pays a large fee to the team and then provided something like 39,000 pieces of clothing for all the team and support personnel.

Jeff

Not likely, I have seen two of this year's pro-tour team clothing sponsorship contracts. The sponsorship fee will go from 100,000 euros to about 500,000 euros depending on the team and what gear you are supplying. Then you supply about 2000 pieces of clothing if you supply the cycling clothing items only. Some clothing suppliers also supply the leisure wear too.