PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar advice

dekindy
08-31-2009, 02:27 PM
I have Deda Big Piega's because that was what was spec'd on the Fierte I purchased 3 years ago. They also happened to be the correct width. I cannot say that I have any complaint about them. I just wonder if I should consider something different. A gal riding buddy got new bars (waiting for her to get back to me on brand/model) got a new bike that had flatter shaped bars on tops and she likes them much better than what she had before. So I thought I should research this some since I need to buy bars for my new backup bike and am considering moving the Big Piegas over and replacing the bars on my Legend. I also have Hudz and Handlebra ready to install.

I want to stick with alloy but might consider carbon. Since I have a Legend road vibration is not a consideration. My hands are very small for a man. I used to just grab the smallest glove size knowing it would fit. Apparently road glove sizing has changed drastically the last couple of years. Now I have to try them on and usually wear a medium or large depending on brand and style of glove. I know my hands have not gotten any bigger. I have Shimano 10-speed hoods but after realizing they are much bigger than my Shimano 600 and Campy and SRAM I would probably have chosen the smaller hoods.

My riding is mostly leisurely and in the 30-50 mile range. I also do a some 50-80 miles, a handful of centuries, and RAIN every year. Weekday rides are 30-mile training rides ridden mostly on the hoods but as I get fitter and faster I feel more comfortable and am riding more in the drops.

If you have more questions, please ask. Based upon this information what bars would you recommend?

bagochips3
08-31-2009, 06:21 PM
I have FSA Omega bars on my cyclocross bikes and dig them. Short horizontal transition to the hoods. They flare out at the ends, which some people like. If you sprint from the drops, you will probably like this feature since your forearms won't hit the bars. Competitive Cyclist had a good video review on these bars. The best part is they are only $40 or so.

I wanted something similar for my road bike (replaced Oval R701 bars which lots of people like, but never felt right to me), but I didn't want the flare and I wanted a more traditional looking curve. I went with the Deda Zero100 bars and really love them. Short horizontal transition to the hoods (a bit longer than the Omegas), nice shape to the drops. The tops are flattened into a psuedo wing shape. When I first tried them they felt great. When I first put them on the bike, they felt a little weird. Now I like them and don't really think about it. I use fizik tape w/o gel padding and the flatter tops are a bit more comfortable than round tops. Because of the flat shape on the tops, I don't think you could angle the bars up or down too much; there's a range of tilt where it will feel good in your hands when you're on the tops. So if you like to angle the bars up so the brifters are pointing way up, these might not be the best choice for you. All that said, these are my favorite bars to date.

Oh, I use Shimano brifters on both bikes.

tylercheung
09-01-2009, 11:27 PM
i like my salsa poco bars

dekindy
09-02-2009, 05:51 AM
i like my salsa poco bars

I read the reviews on roadbikrereview.com and they were 100% 5's with every reviewer commenting about how great these bars are for riders with small hands, men an women. You may have put me on to something here. I will definitely check these out. Thanks.

Oops, just checked and the maximum width listed for the Poco model is 40 and I need a 42. They do have other models listed as short drop and reach that go up to 46 so I will check them out.

soulspinner
09-02-2009, 07:35 AM
I read the reviews on roadbikrereview.com and they were 100% 5's with every reviewer commenting about how great these bars are for riders with small hands, men an women. You may have put me on to something here. I will definitely check these out. Thanks.

Oops, just checked and the maximum width listed for the Poco model is 40 and I need a 42. They do have other models listed as short drop and reach that go up to 46 so I will check them out.

Got a set of Salsa 42s and that with a Profile stem is stiffer(26mm center) than my Easton 40s with Thomson stem in 31.8. Short reach, surprising comfort, light enuff.