PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Tour

jblande
08-30-2009, 12:58 PM
I recently took a position at the University of Konstanz, which is located on the German border with Switzerland (and across the lake Austria). It is located on the Rhine and on a lake, with only about an hour or so to the alps. I knew beforehand that I was trading in Lake Shore Drive in Chicago for bicycle paradise, but the riding here has exceeded my every expectation. I went out for a ride today with my girlfriend the pace of which I imagined would allow for some photo stops. All of these photos were taken along the way from a 35 mile route I ride with some regularity. It also happened to be a stunningly beautiful and clear day, as the photos testify. I am glad to have been able to bring along my Serotta for the ride.

cinema
08-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Amazing pictures. I love lake shore drive too... it's a tough call what I'd do in this situation :D

What do you teach, out of curiosity?

gdw
08-30-2009, 02:29 PM

Karin Kirk
08-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing! My Mom lives across the lake in Unteruhldingen and I have pedaled many a blissful mile on those lovely roads. You sure did have clear weather today, with terrific views of the Santis. I like all the sailboats in the lake - happy memories.

Have you been to the Mainau lately? That is another of my favorite spots.

Enjoy that lovely part of the world! :)

jblande
08-31-2009, 04:02 AM
cinema: I am more a fan of your Wittgenstein quote than I am of Lake Shore Drive. I will be back in Chicago at the end of the month, and am curious to see what it is like to be back on the path. My dissertation is in German literature, although my research position here is with the historians.

gdw: Nope no Zepplins. Although if I were around next weekend for the Eurobike Messe in Friedrichshafen, I could shoot across to the museum. Some hot air balloons in the air yesterday.

Karin Kirk: yes, it is indeed a beautiful part of the world. I am glad to hear of someone else so enthused by the area. Really wonderful riding terrain, indeed. The summer in Konstanz oddly does get on my nerves a little bit with all the tourists in such a small town. All the more reason to seek refuge in the Swiss hills and valleys. I have yet to head over to Insel Mainau this year, although I have been during past visits. If I hadn't been in the office so much this summer, I would have done much more exploring. I have high hopes for next Spring/Summer.

Cheers!

Karin Kirk
08-31-2009, 08:49 AM
jblande,

I agree Konstanz is bustling, but luckily one can reach pleasant countryside quickly.

I have high hopes for next spring/summer too because I was not able to have my usual visits there this year, which is sad indeed. Perhaps next year I can join you for a ride through the hills and vineyards.

Enjoy the late summer and fall, I suspect there is still some lively riding weather ahead of you.

tab123
08-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Wonderful photos! As a Chicagoan I would trade the chaos of the Lakefront Path and Lake Shore Drive for that scenery and nicely paved roads. (No sunrise rides along the lake and no ready access to Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian food - now that would be tough.)