PDA

View Full Version : Too cool for a helmet?

RPS
08-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Previously seemed to wear one -- setting a good example. Maybe now he thinks they make him look dorky.

P.S. -- This is non-political -- let's try to keep Bush out of it. Thanks, Rick.

GuyGadois
08-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Bummer, I wish he was wearing a helmet. The President is a larger than life figure kids (especially his kids age) . My kids know that if I see them without a helmet then it is no bike for one week. I also hang my broken helmet above their bikes from a crash I had a couple of months ago where it is broken in 5 places. Not so subtle reminder.

-GG-

Ray
08-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey, he made sure his girls were each wearing one. The ultimate libertarian! They're kids and they have to wear 'em and when they're adults, they can make up their own minds. I'd have thought some of you folks would love this!

I'm kidding. But, in reality, this is what I did with my kids. They always saw me with a helmet when I was going out for a "RIDE", but when I was just tooling around on my townie, often not. They always had to wear them though. My now adult daughter seems to have adopted the same approach. We hung out in her neck of the woods for a week recently and when she got home from a commute involving much traffic and high speed descents, she was wearing the helmet. When she took the cruiser to the neighborhood store, she didn't. I couldn't argue.

-Ray

fiamme red
08-28-2009, 10:51 AM
He's riding at a child's pace on a flat trail. How about a little common sense here? :rolleyes:

Hilarious quote:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2009/08/28/2009-08-28_bikesafety_groups_take_president_obama_head_on. html

David Mozer, director of the International Bicycle Fund, a nonprofit advocacy group in Seattle, disagreed.

"Most bike accidents just happen. Bicycles up and turn over by themselves, and head injuries are a possible consequence of that," he said. "Head injures don't heal well, and they can be very expensive and life-long."

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/08/28/alg_obama_bike_ride.jpg

Blue Jays
08-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Given their great record in helping to prevent injury, I would think most would embrace helmet usage.
At the same time, the President is an adult who is free to make his own choices.
There were lots of people at the Finger Lakes Ramble (for example) who eschewed the protection of a helmet.
Not my cup o' tea, but people do it. I'm definitely an always-wear-a-helmet-while-riding person.

GuyGadois
08-28-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't buy the argument that because he is an adult he get's to choose if he wears a helmet or not. Being the President I feel he is obligated to wear a helmet. Lead by example.

-GG-

fiamme red
08-28-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't buy the argument that because he is an adult he get's to choose if he wears a helmet or not. Being the President I feel he is obligated to wear a helmet. Lead by example.

-GG-He is leading by example, showing that riding a bike isn't inherently dangerous. Thank you, Mr. President!

gemship
08-28-2009, 11:11 AM

-GG-

Wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle is not a mandatory law in Ma. Just the way it is and I hope it stays that way. I wear one but then again I ride a fairly quick pace and I'm a late breaker. I like to carry my momentum thru some pretty hairy stuff at times and yes I have fractured a cheek bone, wasn't wearing a helmet, who knows if it would've helped but very lucky.... and yes I have been hit by cars at least three times over the years so wearing a helmet for me makes sense. On the other hand riding at about 8 mph down a bike path spending quality off time with the family on a hot summer day it makes sense to leave the lid at home. I'm glad I live in a state that allows this.

MattTuck
08-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I think he needs to move his seat back .3 cm and up .2cm, and his bars forward .2cm.

Then he'd be dialed in.

RPS
08-28-2009, 11:22 AM
The picture in the paper caught me by surprise because I remembered him wearing one in the past – I think mostly taken around busy Chicago area (don't know if it's required by law there). My very first thought was “I need another cycling vacation”, and the second was “what’s changed”. I have to admit that the earlier pictures of him taken in traffic while wearing a helmet did make him look less than presidential, if not a little dorky.

Maybe as dorky as helmets are they look better by comparison alongside the dorkier spandex, but when viewed on a person in street clothes it jumps out of the picture at me. Even more so when the person is wearing long pants instead of shorts and a T shirt.

Can’t believe I’m commenting about fashion. :crap:

gdw
08-28-2009, 11:23 AM
really out of shape. :banana:

bzbvh5
08-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Being the President I feel he is obligated to wear a helmet.
-GG-

I believe there are politicians who don't know what they believe about everything. Their opinion about their favorite color is the same as what a poll says is most peoples favorite color. The cloths they wear always look good on camera. Wear a helmet while on a bike because most people think it's a good idea.

Is he obligated to be PC all the time? I'd rather have a president who uses his own mind rather than try to make the most people happy based on some poll +/- 3%.

GuyGadois
08-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle is not a mandatory law in Ma. Just the way it is and I hope it stays that way. I wear one but then again I ride a fairly quick pace and I'm a late breaker. I like to carry my momentum thru some pretty hairy stuff at times and yes I have fractured a cheek bone, wasn't wearing a helmet, who knows if it would've helped but very lucky.... and yes I have been hit by cars at least three times over the years so wearing a helmet for me makes sense. On the other hand riding at about 8 mph down a bike path spending quality off time with the family on a hot summer day it makes sense to leave the lid at home. I'm glad I live in a state that allows this.

I think you fully missed my point. You are (probably) not a figure that millions of kids look up to.

-GG-

fiamme red
08-28-2009, 11:38 AM
I think you fully missed my point. You are (probably) not a figure that millions of kids look up to.

-GG-Well, there's another problem. You shouldn't be teaching your children to look up to politicians.

GuyGadois
08-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Well, there's another problem. You shouldn't be teaching your children to look up to politicians.

Touche!

trophyoftexas
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
I wear one but it's up to the individual....personally I wish he'd wear one just "in case" 'cause, while I'm not a Obama-guy (nor am I a detractor) I'm NOT interested in his potential replacement being forced into office!

I just think it's cool that he's gotten a little chance to vacation and spend some time on the bike with his kids! Maybe he shoulda twitted for some of us to join him.....uh, well, maybe not, seems like someone else just tried that and was a little overwhelmed by the response!

Tobias
08-28-2009, 12:43 PM
His free medical plan probably includes his head. :)

rugbysecondrow
08-28-2009, 12:51 PM
I wish he would do it just to minimize the chance I would have to hear much from Bidden.

Seriously though, I like the mustache bars on the bike...nice choice Mr. Prez...

sloji
08-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Helmet use in automobiles would save hundreds of thousands of lives but I've never had anyone ask why I don't wear a helmet in my car, politics is always about fashion and self-righteousness rather than enlightened values. We could for example build cars that go no faster than 25 miles per hour on roads separate from bikes with gigantic bumpers surrounding them allowing no fatalities at all drunk or otherwise...we engineer risk into our surroundings and that has more to do with vanity than reality.

I like pork chops really big pork chops with beans and garlic bread...oh, I forgot my meds this morning, get over it.

jlwdm
08-28-2009, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=sloji
Get over it...[/QUOTE]

???????

Jeff

flydhest
08-28-2009, 01:41 PM
I wish he would do it just to minimize the chance I would have to hear much from Bidden.

Apart from the spelling . . . this is funny.

Seriously, though, can people seriously think that the risks are significant in this case? If so, shouldn't all pedestrians who cross the street in cities also be wearing helmets?

The role model idea is interesting, but, as pointed out before, we are in sad shape if modern politicians are role models. Moreover, the idea of a role model who is able to make rational decisions instead of mindlessly following a rant that one must, under all circumstances, wear a helmet because they are always safer . . . well, it appeals. Is he taking fewer risks than someone else who, while wearing a helmet, does a descent at 50 mph? Would people be as quick to condemn that activity or would it be cool that there's a president of any party who cycles? (The latter captures my view of Bush . . . oops, brought up Bush . . . but it's OK, right, because, quite honestly, the guy's approach to fitness was great, in my view. He is apparently rather fit, a good role model for adults regardless of political stripe. D'oh! I'm still talking about Bush! Gotta stop.)

GuyGadois
08-28-2009, 01:46 PM
we engineer risk into our surroundings and that has more to do with vanity than reality.

I used to think the same way until I would visit the brain trauma center in Santa Barbara (Dad had a stroke). The docs said that many of the people they see in there are just casual riders and surfers that have "small" accidents that have huge impact on their brains. You don't have to be speeding down the hill at 40mph to hit the old noggin. Not a fun place to visit by the way.

I am a big believer in "to each his own" but I maintain that people who are role models need to act that way (whether they are parents or Presidents).

-GG-

MattTuck
08-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Perhaps Serotta should build VeloForce One.

Did the best I could with the colors....

sloji
08-28-2009, 01:50 PM
As far as brain injuries go half of all marriages end in divorce and the trauma associated with divorce is linked to a 16x greater chance of developing alzheimers but those who don't remarry after this most traumatizing of life events are better off...and yet social pressure is so powerful that almost all people marry and marry again.

spacemen3
08-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Perhaps, I have too many fond memories of my childhood when riding didn't require shoes, spandex, or a helmet, but I wouldn't wear a helmet either if I was tooling around on a trail. :)

Karin Kirk
08-28-2009, 02:08 PM
As far as brain injuries go half of all marriages end in divorce and the trauma associated with divorce is linked to a 16x greater chance of developing alzheimers but those who don't remarry after this most traumatizing of life events are better off...and yet social pressure is so powerful that almost all people marry and marry again.

Do you really think that the reason people get married is due to social pressure? I'd have to disagree there.

Matt, sweet job on the Air Force One paint job. We saw Air Force one a couple of weeks ago and you've represented it nicely. (Seriously, I was looking at the plane and thinking those colors would look great on a bike!)

Helmet, no helmet, I'm happy to see the President 1) spending time with his kids and 2) doing so outside in a healthy and simple form of recreation. I can't really ask for much more than that.

sloji
08-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Yes, I do believe marriage is a product of social pressure. We are by nature a polygynandrous species but often touted as monagamous but when we look at sexual dimorphism we do not fit the model of monogamy (monogamous species are identical in size, polygamous the males are 2x the size of the female and polygynandrous the male is slightly larger). Culture on the other hand prescribes certain behaviors to keep us from randomly killing eachother akin to stop lights but each culture has different rules i.e. polygamy, polyandry, etc which have been prescribed by social pressure no less than our monogamous ideals. If you don't see how marriage is a product of social forces that would be like a man wearing a dress downtown...he will immediately recognize just how much we are all watched by eachother and scorned or ridiculed by the social norm and adapt as a means of survival. Social pressure is a very powerful force.

GuyGadois
08-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes, I do believe marriage is a product of social pressure. We are by nature a polygynandrous species but often touted as monagamous but when we look at sexual dimorphism we do not fit the model of monogamy (monogamous species are identical in size, polygamous the males are 2x the size of the female and polygynandrous the male is slightly larger). Culture on the other hand prescribes certain behaviors to keep us from randomly killing eachother akin to stop lights but each culture has different rules i.e. polygamy, polyandry, etc which have been prescribed by social pressure no less than our monogamous ideals. If you don't see how marriage is a product of social forces that would be like a man wearing a dress downtown...he will immediately recognize just how much we are all watched by eachother and scorned or ridiculed by the social norm and adapt as a means of survival. Social pressure is a very powerful force.

Joseph Smith, is that you? I am currently reading the book Under the Banner of Heaven. Disturbing stuff.

93legendti
08-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Previously seemed to wear one -- setting a good example. Maybe now he thinks they make him look dorky.

P.S. -- This is non-political -- let's try to keep Bush out of it. Thanks, Rick.
It's a staged photo. He said he wanted privacy on the vacation, especially for his kids. If it wasn't staged, he sure wouldn't be smiling.

BumbleBeeDave
08-28-2009, 03:05 PM
. . . looks mighty short! :rolleyes:

Where's The Jerk when we need him? ;)

BBD

sloji
08-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Joseph Smith, is that you? I am currently reading the book Under the Banner of Heaven. Disturbing stuff.

History can be a disturbing read but Joseph Smith was a minor player compared to millions of others and even in traditions founded by what others view as charlatans brilliant lights are born. The view I proffered was more along the lines of thoughts of evolutionary psychology, sociology, or anthropology but I can see how from your current read you might associate one with the other.

Oh, by the way "Under the Banner of Heaven" is a great name and speaks to how much we all want to believe the best even amidst the worst...

trophyoftexas
08-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Seriously though, I like the mustache bars on the bike...nice choice Mr. Prez...

....what exactly is he riding, can anybody tell?...American made?...probably not!.....but then, I don't think George's mtb's were American either! I think a gift from Serotta or us on the forum (ALL pitch in) of the Air Force One painted Serotta would be WAY to cool!!!!!...provided we can all go to the White House for the presentation and refreshments! :beer: I'm at work right now, sipping on a cold Shiner Bock as I type this, George probably woulda had what I drink, not sure about Mr. O.

gemship
08-28-2009, 05:28 PM

-GG-

yeah but based on your statement what if more politicians believed the same way? Would or could a helmet law be mandatory? What's next registering bikes much like cars are? Just how far can the politicians go with setting a example? I know where your coming from but I'm trying to make a point....

Hey maybe one of his aides was holding his helmet during the photo op. It almost looks like he's posing as the two girls are literally stopped in front of him. What was your point again?

palincss
08-28-2009, 05:44 PM
A guy goes out for a ride with his kids on vacation and the next thing, we have helmet wars. Jeez. Come on.

gemship
08-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Its a sign of the times. Political correctness is everything :rolleyes:

Rueda Tropical
08-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Jimmy Carter on his Rivendell. For this kind of riding I don't wear a helmet. Tooling around in an upright position in street clothes -no helmet.

Waldo
08-28-2009, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=sloji]Helmet use in automobiles would save hundreds of thousands of lives but I've never had anyone ask why I don't wear a helmet in my car, politics is always about fashion and self-righteousness rather than enlightened values. QUOTE]

There's a guy who brings his bike on my bus and he never takes off his helmet. Not sure whether he forgets to do it or doesn't trust the bus driver.

malcolm
08-28-2009, 07:09 PM
I wish more politicians would ride without helmets and bomb descents, maybe we would be better off.
All married couple should also wear helmets. I think my wife and I will start tonight.

Steve in SLO
08-28-2009, 08:34 PM
As far as brain injuries go half of all marriages end in divorce and the trauma associated with divorce is linked to a 16x greater chance of developing alzheimers.

:argue: Is this due to blunt or penetrating trauma? :argue:

Steve in SLO
08-28-2009, 08:40 PM
I think another question to ask is what brand of helmet should he wear? Is Bell or Giro a more Dem helmet?
Would he accused of being an Italian syncophant if he was wearing a Limar? There is just to much pressure to be right for everybody when you're a public figure (like I'd know).

zap
08-29-2009, 09:33 AM
snipped

but then, I don't think George's mtb's were American either!

Trek.

American made.

Carbon composite.

Support from lbs too.

As posted earlier, serious off road cyclist.

Ray
08-29-2009, 09:46 AM
As posted earlier, serious off road cyclist.
Obama isn't, and doesn't pretend to be a cyclist. 2004 was the election with two real RIDERS - one hard core roadie, one hard core mountain biker. MTBs won that one. Obama's probably the best hoop player in the oval office. But if my man Mo Udall had gotten elected in '76 or Bradley in 2000.....

-Ray

Ozz
08-30-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm mostly surprised that the Secret Service doesn't make him (or Jimmy C.) wear a helmet!

:beer:

cinema
08-30-2009, 12:54 PM

/thread. Anyone who claims they can take full credit for, and give a full account of their own actions, decisions and feelings, be it monogamy or polygamy, wearing a helmet, or ANYTHING, are only ignoring the way society makes the real, accountable self opaque and complex. I don't know what this has to do with the president not wearing a helmet. :argue:

johnnymossville
08-30-2009, 04:20 PM
now if only he'd go ride in traffic,...

Kidding!! I don't care if he wears a helmet or not, he's an adult and can decide for himself. I'm gonna cut BO some slack on this one. One of the few times I'll do that. hehe

93legendti
08-30-2009, 06:53 PM
now if only he'd go ride in traffic,...

Kidding!! I don't care if he wears a helmet or not, he's an adult and can decide for himself. I'm gonna cut BO some slack on this one. One of the few times I'll do that. hehe
The whole point of the photo-op was to have people see his face/head and see him looking like an average American. IF there was a ride afterwards, I am sure someone gave him a helmet to ride.

johnnymossville
08-30-2009, 08:11 PM
The whole point of the photo-op was to have people see his face/head and see him looking like an average American. IF there was a ride afterwards, I am sure someone gave him a helmet to ride.

well, there is that part. :p

martinrjensen
08-30-2009, 08:29 PM
I think they need to quit looking up to him and realize his job is running the country, not riding a bike. I really wish that the President could just run the country effectively instead of being put on this pedestal where he has to be perfect in every way. We have our political system so screwed up that anybody who "wants' to be president, should automatically disqualify themselves at this point. So much for keeping politics out of it, but this whole message thread was political. If this wasn't the President, nobody would care.I think you fully missed my point. You are (probably) not a figure that millions of kids look up to.

-GG-

goonster
08-31-2009, 02:14 PM
I wish more politicians would ride without helmets and bomb descents
I wish politicians would bomb less altogether.

William
09-01-2009, 04:55 AM
Cute kids, do we know that guy?

William :rolleyes:

93legendti
09-01-2009, 08:09 AM
with a 42% Zogby approval rating, it's safe to say that we all know that guy