PDA

View Full Version : Do you ride different size road bikes? Is there a problem doing so?

dd74
08-27-2009, 10:52 PM
My Ti bike is a 53cm, my two steel bikes 52cm. I fit fairly well on both. I just wonder if this will one day become a problem as I go from one size to another.

Anyone out there have the same situation?

Any ideas, thoughts?

Tnx
:beer:

martinrjensen
08-27-2009, 11:04 PM
I just set them up so they are as close as possible to the same. I have (2) 57 cm bikes and (3) 58's . The 58's seeem to be a better fit. With the 57's, I raise the seatpost and use a longer stem. My saddle might be a bit further back but I'm not sure. Usually I set the saddle to the pedals then add a stem (length) to fit.
I think it would get weird if you got really crazy with the differences in size.My Ti bike is a 53cm, my two steel bikes 52cm. I fit fairly well on both. I just wonder if this will one day become a problem as I go from one size to another.

Anyone out there have the same situation?

Any ideas, thoughts?

Tnx
:beer:

MilanoTom
08-27-2009, 11:15 PM
I do.. After setting the seat height, I make sure that the saddle has the same setback from the bottom bracket as my other bikes. Then I use different length stems and/or bars to adjust the reach.

Regards,
Tom

tsarpepe
08-28-2009, 12:23 AM
I ride two widely different sizes: 58 and 61. Technically, 61 is the optimal size for me, but I am very used to my older ride: a 58cm Lemond, on which I run a very high post and stem. I guess bike purists will laugh at this, but I've never been overly scientific about fit. If I feel good on the bike, then it fits. And the 58 feels good. I even prefer it, since the smaller frame size allows for a noticeably more maneuverable ride.

maunahaole
08-28-2009, 01:11 AM
A 58 in one brand does not necessarily fit the same as a 58 in a different brand. The number is more of a guideline as opposed to an exact measure of what you will need. Sloping tt makes it even more complicated, as angle of slope comes into play and if you ride a 58 in a flat tt you may be in a 52 sloping tt. Actual (or virtual) tt length is more important. Dont dwell on it too much.

dd74
08-28-2009, 03:54 AM
A 58 in one brand does not necessarily fit the same as a 58 in a different brand. The number is more of a guideline as opposed to an exact measure of what you will need.
Very true. I actually think one of my steel bikes is said to be a 51cm, and the other a 52cm, but upon measuring both, their TT, DT and ST are the same length.

Dont dwell on it too much.
I'm in Kauai right now and bike-less. Too bad, as some of these roads are really nice. :)

Oh well, things could be worse... :rolleyes:

jlwdm
08-28-2009, 05:51 AM
My Ti bike is a 53cm, my two steel bikes 52cm. I fit fairly well on both. I just wonder if this will one day become a problem as I go from one size to another.

As pointed out by others the nominal frame size doesn't tell you much at all. I would think most riders with multiple bikes ride bikes of different nominal frame sizes. Bikes get measured ctc, center to top of top tube, center to top of a protrusion above the top tube. Then you have to take into account any top tube slope.

For frame size, the seat tube ctc is what I look at to compare. If you have some slope this needs to be factored in. I have two Serottas: a 59cm with 4 degrees of slope and a 62cm with 1 degree of slope. These are essentially the same size if the top tubes were horizontal. This size does not mean a lot to me though.

Seat tube angle and top tube length are very important to me. Ideally I ride a 72 degree seat tube angle to get my saddle setback correct. If a bike has a 73 degree seat tube angle I need a larger setback on the seatpost - but this increases the effective top tube by 1.2cm at my frame size. So I am going to focus on the effective top tube length.

Head tube size will then factor in to determine if I can get the handlebars in my desired position relative to the saddle height.

So focus on the bike measurements overall, not the stated frame size. Don't conclude that you ride a certain size frame. You might ride in a certain range of sizes based on the actual measurements. Especially when sizes are different between companies and within companies on different models.

Jeff

Dave B
08-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Agreed with many here. Some manufactures measure their bikes differently. Trek is probably my best reference for this. The sort it out with center of BB to top of TT/ST.

So a 58 is a real 56 for most others.

I say if you can get the same fit points with saddle height and TT/stem length with out goig too silly then I say no worries. If you ride a 58cmTT and try one like a 52 with a huge stem then well you are daft!

roydyates
08-28-2009, 07:03 AM
I ride two widely different sizes: 58 and 61. Technically, 61 is the optimal size for me, but I am very used to my older ride: a 58cm Lemond, on which I run a very high post and stem. I guess bike purists will laugh at this, but I've never been overly scientific about fit. If I feel good on the bike, then it fits. And the 58 feels good. I even prefer it, since the smaller frame size allows for a noticeably more maneuverable ride.

+1
My regular rides are a 56X Colorado (57.5 TT), a 59cm Bridgestone RB-1 (59 TT iirc), a 60 Trek 5200 (57.5 TT), and a 62 Nishiki (short TT < 57 I believe).

Even after fiddling with stems and seats, they are all different by a cm here or there. I realize this is bike fitting heresy, but I like the variety. I try to avoid riding the same bike twice in a row.

Bob Ross
08-28-2009, 03:44 PM
I don't know if my two road bikes are about as differently dimensioned as it's possible to be without being completely ridiculous, or as similarly dimensioned as it's possible to be without intentionally trying to match them:

Bike #1 has a 58cm top tube, 73° STA, 100.5cm wheelbase, 12cm stem, 175mm cranks...

Bike #2 has a 57cm top tube, 75° STA, 100.3cm wheelbase, 11cm stem, 170mm cranks...

They feel different enough that I know they're different...but I honestly can't say one feels any better than the other.

maunahaole
08-28-2009, 04:00 PM
dd74 - Go hike Na Pali or go up to Kokee and do some exploring up there. There should be some great snorkeling, too. Go chill out in Hanalei. Kauai is great.

Go to Hamura Saimin in Lihue. Get some soup. Hot salty goodness. Grab dinner at Plantation gardens at Kiahuna Plantation in Koloa. We had our wedding reception there - great food, nice staff.

The bike will be there for you when you get back.