PDA

View Full Version : Griffen

Jeff N.
02-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Anyone with experience with Griffen road frames? (Metal Matrix) Thanks, Jeff N.

Hard Fit
02-03-2005, 06:54 PM
If memory serves me correctly, I knew someone who rode a Griffen. He was a strong recreational club rider, probably in his 60's, and medium height and no fat. He rode in the Silicon Valley where it was hilly. He said the ride was too stiff for him. Like all bikes, you got to ride it to really see if it is the right one for you.

weisan
02-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Hey Jeff, my good friend John, who's a triathlete, rides one of these. He did the Lake Placid race on a Griffen tri bike. Unfortunately, he doesn't visit this forum, but I would be more than happy to help you get in touch with him, just let me know.

I did asked him one time why he had chosen this model, his answer was fairly straight forward: to support a local framebuilder.

CalfeeFly
02-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Unless he sold it Pittsburgh Pro Bikes had one. They have a web site so you could Google them. If you call ask for Alan. He bought it because he was so excited about them when he learned about them. I can't remember why however.

Rink
02-04-2005, 07:26 AM
I sell Griffen bikes and have had very good feed back on ride quality. They are a custom frame builder but it tends to take a little longer to get their product b/c they go through a lot of sub-contractors. I will say that whille I admire their products very much Serotta has a better track record with their custom frames- simply put they are perfect every time no filing, bending, tapping, etc. These have been my expereances with a lot of other custom frame builders. Hope this helps.

Jeff N.
02-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the responses. I scored a Griffen the other day on EBAY for a few hundred bucks, in my size, complete with Time fork. I'm not expecting much, but it was my size and the price was right, and I wanted to build up another backup bike with some used Ultegra gear I have gathering dust. I've seen a few Griffens out on the road in full-on Tri configuration, but this one is road geometry, the one I got. Know NOTHING about metal matrix. Was just trying to reinforce my purchase. Thanks ! Jeff N.

D-Squared
02-04-2005, 06:39 PM
I was talking to one of Griffen's reps when volunteering at the Age Group Tri championship here in Shreveport. He was saying the ride was more compliant than carbon. I took his out for a quick 15 mile ride but couldn't get past the fact that his saddle was as hard as a rock. I keep an eye on ebay, like you, hoping I can find one cheap to build up as a tri bike. Let us know what you think.

Jeff N.
02-04-2005, 09:23 PM
I was talking to one of Griffen's reps when volunteering at the Age Group Tri championship here in Shreveport. He was saying the ride was more compliant than carbon. I took his out for a quick 15 mile ride but couldn't get past the fact that his saddle was as hard as a rock. I keep an eye on ebay, like you, hoping I can find one cheap to build up as a tri bike. Let us know what you think.Will do! It arrived today. Its kinda nicked up, but close inspection reveals no dings, and everything looks straight. I'm taking it to JB for a gloss black with white decals refinish/ paint job (Griffen sent me the decals) on Monday. I'll letcha know. Jeff N.

Climb01742
02-05-2005, 06:04 AM
but jeff, aren't you a dyed-in-the-ti ti fan? if i remember correctly, you have the world's best fleet of ti rides. why the departure? if i had to guess, i would have said your next ride would have been a titus...inquiring (or is it just nosey?) minds want to know. :rolleyes:

ps: man, do i wish we had a dose of san diego weather today here!

Jeff N.
02-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Climb, you are correct about my fondness of everything Ti. But I DO have a sprinkling of non-Ti steeds ('Dale CAAD-4, Seven Axiom Steel ). And yes, I'd LOVE to own a Titus Exo-Grid Road. But I think I've finally reached the end of my Ti frenzy. My garage is starting to look like a madnam lives in the house. Whether thats true or not, I'm cutting back. But to at least partially satisfy my lust to buy and build up a frame, I'm going to renew this Griffen I stole off E-Bay and breathe new life into it. Like Dr. Frankenstein, sort of. Spec it with used parts I've gathered over the years....used parts that're fully serviceable but just need a good cleaning. I've never really done that before. I think it might be enjoyable. It'll enable me to feed my build-up "Jones" without blowing a whole bunch of cash. Not sure how much paint will be, but JB is usually pretty reasonable with one-color jobs. The price rises sharply if you want multi colors, or flames or any of that other trick stuff. I fear, though, that when JB gets done with the paintjob on this frame, it'll look so good that I'll want to spec it with newer stuff...maybe '05 Ultegra. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
And right again, Climb. The weather here in SD it quite gorgeous. Rain's all gone, Spring is in the air. Long rides await. Going to get in 50 or 60 tomorrow before the Super Bowl starts. Along the coast. Breathe in that salty air. Think it'll be the MOOTS tomorrow. Its her turn. Jeff N.

Climb01742
02-05-2005, 11:25 AM
jeff, enjoy...and please don't rub it in anymore!!!! spring here is still at least two months away. :crap: :crap: :crap: