PDA

View Full Version : Campy Dbl/Triple FD Question

Nil Else
08-27-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm having issues having wrong FDs (looks and functionality) with one mostly silver Chorus component classic build and the other with mostly black/carbon bits Record components.

1) I am assuming Triple front derailleur (2006-7? Record) can be used in a double setup/ with a double crankset... am I right? Just in case there's something I'm not aware of about triple FDs before I commit on a buy.

2) I assume I must use a triple FD (Record or Chorus) with a Record triple crankset, ie, I can't possibly fudge with a dbl FD or some other as substitution... :rolleyes:

3) What is exactly different mechanically about QS FD and older non-QS FDs?

Appreciate responses in advance.

thwart
08-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Dave is the resident expert here...

But... I've used triple Campy FD's for a compact double, but not for a standard 53/39 double crank. The deeper inner cage seems to help with avoiding chaindrop when shifting from the 50 to the much smaller 34 or 36. At least it seems to... although I must say that standard double FD's have worked fairly well in that application, too.

No experience with using a double FD on a triple crank. I assume the engineers know best here, although my guess would be if you were very careful to avoid a shift directly from the large chainring to the granny you may be able to get by.
Wouldn't do it myself, as I'm too much of a klutz shifter when I'm out on the road... :rolleyes:

palincss
08-27-2009, 02:32 PM
No experience with using a double FD on a triple crank. I assume the engineers know best here, although my guess would be if you were very careful to avoid a shift directly from the large chainring to the granny you may be able to get by.
Wouldn't do it myself, as I'm too much of a klutz shifter when I'm out on the road... :rolleyes:

I briefly tried using an IRD double front derailleur on my Velo Orange. It has a 24/36/46 crank. It shifted fine, but I couldn't keep the derailleur centered on the big ring because it just didn't reach out far enough. Shifting to and from the granny was fine.

I have a Campagnolo Racing T front derailleur on it now, and it's the best shifting front derailleur I've ever used. I'm still amazed, because Campagnolo is the very last firm I'd think of for this sort of gearing.

Dave
08-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I would never buy a triple FD with the intent of using it on a double. Not that is absoultely won't work, but why would you want to?

IIRC, I did use one of my triple FDs on a double crank early this year and it worked, but I still wouldn't buy a triple FD for this purpose. Keep looking for double, even if it's a lower level FD.

Double QS FDs have a little longer lever arm and require 4 clicks to cover the full range of travel rather than 3. This reduces the finger lever effort a bit. They can be used with any Campy shifter, QS or non-QS.

You can't shift a triple with a double FD. That will not work.

What FDs do you need? The only triple I've got left is a Record with the chrome steel cage. It's probably no different than a current Veloce or Centaur.

Nil Else
08-27-2009, 07:18 PM
I would never buy a triple FD with the intent of using it on a double. Not that is absoultely won't work, but why would you want to?

IIRC, I did use one of my triple FDs on a double crank early this year and it worked, but I still wouldn't buy a triple FD for this purpose. Keep looking for double, even if it's a lower level FD.

Double QS FDs have a little longer lever arm and require 4 clicks to cover the full range of travel rather than 3. This reduces the finger lever effort a bit. They can be used with any Campy shifter, QS or non-QS.

You can't shift a triple with a double FD. That will not work.

What FDs do you need? The only triple I've got left is a Record with the chrome steel cage. It's probably no different than a current Veloce or Centaur.

This is basically a cosmetic issue, I suppose. The reason why I'm contemplating using the said Record Triple FD is:

- The said Record Triple has black lever arm and coated plates that matches the rest of the black/carbon Record components on the double ring CF bike better opposed to the polished shiny chrome look of the NOS Chorus 10s double FD I have.

- I like the swap-ability of triple & double setup between the two bikes with simple crankset/bb swap. Although it wouldn't be a big deal to swap the FDs there is that mismatched out of place shiny FD look issue again. I like the idea of leaving the triple FDs on the both bikes.

- I can have the said record triple FD for a song... but only if I can use it.. otherwise it just wouldn't be 'right' to take it from the acquaintance who's trying to help me out.

If the Record Triple FD with double is not a problem, a clean pre-2006-ish Record/Chorus silver triple FD for a good price would be perfect... I'd be satisfied.

or

I can also use a carbon Record double FD if I can snag it at good price (I'm watching one for matter of fact)... not ideal as the triple Record FD would look a wee bit out of place with the all silver Chorus bits on the double ring retro bike and I'd have to swap the FDs as well when I do swap the triple/doubles.

Confuse you enough? :rolleyes:

maunahaole
08-27-2009, 07:41 PM
I used a campy triple FD on my double set up for a while. It worked fine. You just need to get the small ring limit screw tightened down to keep it from swinging in too far.

Nil Else
08-28-2009, 08:22 AM
I used a campy triple FD on my double set up for a while. It worked fine. You just need to get the small ring limit screw tightened down to keep it from swinging in too far.

I assumed triple FD would be fine as if there is an issue it would be problem of more than enough range of swing for double, not inadequate movement...