PDA

View Full Version : HSG Carbon or Legend Ti for Koppenburg RR?

docmaduff
08-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Ok, so it's not the actual Koppenburg in Flanders; it's a short 22mi road race in Boulder, CO this Sunday. The circuit is 5.5 miles long with a 2.5 mile section of rough gravel road that culminates with a short 17% climb.
I've raced my 2007 HSG Carbon to 2 top 10 finishes in Crits this summer but I'm wondering if it might be too stiff for the Koppenburg. I also train on a 1994 Legend II Ti with 25c tires and I'm thinking that with 80-90 psi it might be more ideal for this race. I was also thinking I could spare the new HSG some potential dings from flying gravel.
Any advice?

The bikes were posted in: HSG Race Ready and Blue/Yellow Legend Ti.
Thanks

Pete Serotta
08-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Really depends on what one you feel the most comfortable on for that distance. Wheels and tires probably count for the most, but I do not know the course. As to dings in paint...that is part of riding.

I have an HSG that I put 250 miles on in Vermont the other week. Dirt, chip surface, poor surfaces, and a few good roads were part of the ride. Smiley gave me grief about the ride on such a bike everyday. I had a :D everyday and the ride was fine.....

gdw
08-27-2009, 11:01 AM
The dirt section is pretty tame. Lots of locals will be on carbon.

Ken Robb
08-27-2009, 12:22 PM
you might prefer the bike which lets you raise the bars a little. I think that will be a big help on that final steep climb.

gdw
08-27-2009, 12:34 PM
That steep climb is only about 50 yards long.

xjoex
08-27-2009, 12:49 PM
The road is not really that bad, I have done that course many times in the past on my 23c contis and ti/carbon seven odonata.

-Joe

rockdude
08-27-2009, 03:54 PM
I just got back from a ride around the Koppenburg route on my new Parlee Z1. The hill is pretty rutted out, much more than earlier this spring. With that said, I would go with the bike you feel you are faster on, although, I would use the 25cm tires. The wider tire will give you more traction and soomth out the rough graval.

I have ridden that route on my Ti Legend, Hors Categotie, DKS CX, Seven Alaris and Parlee Z1. The only really difference for me is what tire I am using.

docmaduff
08-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies. It turned out 25c tires with slightly lower PSI was definitely the way to go. Many guys flatted, several crashed or lost their line on the gravel. As for bike choice, I don't think it would have mattered but having a 25 or 27 tooth cog on the back was helpful. I powered over the climb every time without losing ground there. It's after the climb into the next gravel section when my lungs were exploding and I could see flames coming out of my legs where I was dropped. So bottom line - it always comes down to the engine!

rockdude
08-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Way to go.... To get up that little steep hill at race pace and not blow a piston is always hard. I know, I am always red lined after I finish it and have to take the next gravel section as a recop zone.