PDA

View Full Version : Lotoja?

paczki
08-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Anyone doing it this year? I want to try to do it next year, looks like it must be unsurpassably beautiful.

c-record
08-27-2009, 08:47 AM
It's been a while but I have done it three times, helped with registration, and done tech support a couple of times. The new course it much more challenging than previous courses. Any questions?

paczki
08-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks for responding. It looks like the climbing is reasonable and front-loaded. What is particularly challenging about the course? I know the weather can be awful.

I take it being self-supported is out of the question :banana:

Lincoln
08-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks for responding. It looks like the climbing is reasonable and front-loaded. What is particularly challenging about the course? I know the weather can be awful.

I take it being self-supported is out of the question :banana:

Biggest challenges: the length, quite windy is a good possibility, nasty weather is possible but not the norm.

You are correct, the climbing is nothing crazy.

The most scenic parts are at the beginning and the end.

Unsupported would not be recommended.

Wayne77
08-27-2009, 10:35 AM
It's been a while but I have done it three times, helped with registration, and done tech support a couple of times. The new course it much more challenging than previous courses. Any questions?

I assume you mean "new course" as in new relative to the race's past 27 years correct? This year's course has been used since 2005. Before that they used an alternate course for a few years while there was construction on part of the route. (I assume you know all this since you've done this race and also supported it, but just looking for clarification) I haven't seen a course map released for next year yet. Maybe you've seen the 2010 edition? Has it changed?

Anyway, to answer the OP - the course is beautiful. Climb #1 isn't steep, it's long though - around 21-22 miles, then there are two shorter climbs, Geneva Summit and Salt River Pass. The first climb over Strawberry Summit is gorgeous. The prettiest part of the route, IMO, is through Snake River Canyon near the end of the race. There's usually a tailwind and the canyon is beautiful, with the raging snake river just below the road.

I don't think the climbing is that difficult. What's challenging is just the distance. Like any double century, one just needs to eat right. I've seen riders go too hard on the three major climbs and loose it later in the day though.

It's an incredibly well supported race. If you can, try to register in a Cat 1/2/3/4 licensed category so you can get an earlier start time. The citizens/non-registered categories start a bit later.

It's getting harder to get in though. Its capped at 1000 riders. In 2007, I registered online a few minutes after registration opening and I got in. But it filled up within a few hours. Now they have a drawing, with a preference to riders that have prior experience with the course.

The race primarily got a reputation for the awful weather in 2005. That year's race ("The Snowtaja") featured a storm over Strawberry Canyon that forced many cyclists to withdraw due to hypothermia, etc. The decent into Montpellier was especially tough with Snow, rain, slick roads, etc. Anyway, most years the weather is beautiful. Watch the weather reports, bring some cold weather gear and you'll be fine. Many of the casualties from '05 weren't properly dressed for the storm.

No one is going to get kicked out without a support crew, so I suppose it's possible to ride it unsupported, you'll just need to pack all your food on your bike and ride your own race. Obviously, if you're registered in a competitive category you can't grab food outside the feedzones. Even if you're in a non-competitive category I don't think they will give you a finish time if you break the feedzone rule. I just get my wife and a friend to drive a support car stocked with tools, food, spare wheels, etc. No problem doing it solo without a team or group either - I did it that way in '07 -plenty of pacelines to latch on to and opportunities to make new friends.

Finally, make sure to get some post race eats at the Mangey Moose in Teton Village!! This is an awesome race - an excellent way to close out the season. The fall colors are wonderful!

paczki
08-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks all, that sounds just great -- except the limited slots part. Next year I definitely want to do 170K D2R2 and Six Gaps and then round off the trifecta with Latoja. But the problem looks to be getting in!

I'll find a way :banana:

c-record
08-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Yes, by 'new' course I mean since 2005. I've done the older 'original' course (which it may never go back to) and the abbreviated course to Swan Valley.

Agree, best scenery at beginning and end. Snake River is awesome and starts to feel like you're almost done. No crazy climbs but ANY climb at 170 miles can feel significant. Eat well, be well rested and trained. Some guys go crazy and put a lot of emphasis on this as their season ender so you see some of everything. Lots of packs no matter where you are and it's pretty common to be part of a pack going 27 + mph.

Self supported would be hard. You may be able to find/pay someone to help you with your feeds.

Definite yes to Mangy Moose!