PDA

View Full Version : Rear rack installation on Ottrott ST

jerry
01-18-2004, 09:13 AM
OK, I realize this inquiry may not be the norm for this Board with all the talk about lightweight parts & speed but...

Every year I try to do a brief, pannier-supported tour with my Dad (who still can kick my butt at 66 'cause I have a day job). I have an Ottrott ST on order & would like to take it on a Spring tour ... carrying maybe 15-20 pds of bags & clothing).

With the carbon stays, I'd be concerned about attaching a rear rack; also, my shop is inquring of Serrotta about a braze-on for rack mounts, but I don;t think it can be done due to the "pivot bolt". The Shop believes there are solutions to this, but I thought I'd ask the Experts. Thanks in advance!

Smiley
01-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Why not , the ST stays don't move that much what about 3 mm at best. I'd have them make an atachment at the dropout, Yes where the pivot goes on and then at the Ti uni-stay before the carbon attachment. Just make sure you rubber grommet this attachment to the rack for slight absorption of movement. My guess is that even though there is a solution your question is not a popular one for this bike and maybe they won't want to do it. The other soltion is getting a rack that bolts to your seat post. One of those extended ones. Call the guys at Old Man Mountain they made a rack for my Beam tandem and I think they will work with you on a good fix.

Kevin
01-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Jerry,

Take a look at cambriabike.com. There is a rack called Old Man Mountain Cold Springs Expedition Front & Rear Rack. It will solve all of your problems. It holds up to 50 pounds and does not require barze-ons and will work with "suspension" bikes.

Good luck.

Kevin

M_A_Martin
01-18-2004, 12:27 PM
See what Serotta says about dragging along a Bob trailer with that ST stay.

Not the optimal solution, but if you can't get a rack on your OttRott, perhaps a bob would work.

Although your OttRott would likely never talk to you again.

Please keep us posted on your solution.

Ginger

rnhood
01-18-2004, 01:05 PM
I don't mean to sound ignorant but, why does Serotta not put dropout eyelets on all their bikes. The weight is insignificant yet it adds so much more versatility to a bike. And when a rack is attached it looks much more proper than when attached to the seat tubes. Upper braze-ons should be there also but these are easier to work around if not.

Actually, I don't understand why all bike vendors don't put eyelets on the dropouts as standard. I was ready to order a Fierro and it is the eyelets that are holding me up. To get eyelets I have to order the Rapid Tour. No problem with the RT other than costing an extra few hunderd. Well, for me this is a problem. Hence my current leaning towards a new Rivendell Rambouillet, if I can tolerate the wait (May). This bike appears to provide everything one needs in a practical multi-use bike. However, that RT, it does look nice and it is a Serotta.......I need to do my taxes early and see if there will be a refund.

dbrk
01-18-2004, 01:06 PM
I don't think the usual Ottrott is designed to be a weight bearing bike with panniers. This doesn't mean that it can't do it or even that you risk damaging the frame. But let me not mince words: it's the wrong bike for this application. The bike's handling will be severely compromised, you should be riding fatter tires than that fork can clear, and the bike will languish under the loads for which it was not designed. This is quite a touring weight, really. Can it be done? I suppose, but it's like pulling a trailer with your love bug or something. I have a 1981ish 650B Alex Singer designed with pannier racks (always, always up front) and this bike handles _better_ under load than without them.

dbrk

Sandy
01-18-2004, 11:20 PM
I would suggest getting in touch with Serotta directly on the question, or go through your dealer if you have confidence in their respose to you.

Sandy