PDA

View Full Version : Serotta is now offering 1 inch, as well as one and an 1/8 inch forks

Pete Serotta
08-26-2009, 10:11 AM
To meet the need of customers who want the best ride (in my opinion) carbon fork on the market, and because of forumite requests, Ben has agreed to offer one inch (we have always offered the one and 1/8th inch fork)

Below is some additional info

S3 - aluminum dropouts and crown race and rakes in 43mm and 52mm

It is a 8.5 stiffness? Yes

Steerer is made of what? Carbon

Price = $395 retail and $100 to paint a Serotta standard color?
__________________________________________________ ______

F3 - ti dropouts crown race, three layups: 6.5 in 43mm, 47mm, and 52mm rakes ; 8.5 layup in 40mm, 43mm, and 47mm rakes; 10.5 layup (x-tra long 450mm steerer) in 43mm rake

Steerer is made of what? Carbon

Price = $610 retail and $100 to paint a Serotta standard color
__________________________________________________ ______________

Who should buy a S3 vs F3 or a F3 instead of S3? The S3 is a great fork and most would be fine by it. But, the F3 is definately one better in the tunability and ability to better match the bike characteristics. The rake and stiffness options let us better match the bike and rider for a given use. It allows us to solvetoe overlap and handling issues much better given we have multiple rakes and layups. The Ti bits are more durable and long lasting, etc, etc, etc.....

We offer our lifetime warranty as stated on web site to original purchaser.

Your local dealer should be able to get one for you BUT if a problem please call SEROTTA or let me know. PETE

Gothard
08-26-2009, 12:50 PM
That is great news!
I am receiving the first F3(?) in a few days, I am STOKED!

dave thompson
08-26-2009, 01:09 PM
I didn't know Swiss doctors could get stoked George! :D

Gothard
08-26-2009, 01:12 PM
That and many other things... :cool:

Smiley
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
It's about time Serotta realized the void in the market for a 1 inch aftermarket fork.

dvs cycles
08-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Great news. 1" carbon fork supply has been shrinking quickly especially for the Reynolds. Currently I have 1" Reynolds on my Serotta and Pinarello and a Reynolds 1 1/4" on the Santana Tandem. Down the road if I need a new 1" or Tandem fork it will have a Serotta tag on it.

Jeff N.
08-26-2009, 05:14 PM
It's about time Serotta realized the void in the market for a 1 inch aftermarket fork.Absolutely! Jeff N.

Marcy
08-26-2009, 07:39 PM
This is great news, many wonderful old bikes out there in need of a quality fresh 1" fork.

Is the base price a clearcoat?

-- Marc

Dekonick
08-26-2009, 09:20 PM
THANK YOU!!!!

Gonna start saving my pennies...

Pete Serotta
08-27-2009, 05:41 AM
This is great news, many wonderful old bikes out there in need of a quality fresh 1" fork.

Is the base price a clearcoat?

-- Marc

:)

Elefantino
08-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Holy crap.

And I thought the Concours with the F1 was perfect.

Now I have to be like DK and save my pennies for an F3/6.5/43.

Hubba hubba.

Thanks, Ben & crew!

jpw
08-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Mining the market for nuggets - astute.

Bruce K
08-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Might be time to replace my F1Ti !!

Too bad I can't match the Cobalt Blue any more. I might have to go with carbon clear or white.

Hey Santa, are you listening?

BK

Pete Serotta
08-27-2009, 10:48 AM
for a few $$s I am sure we can find the paint... :D And you know for Christmas all you get is coal!!!

Might be time to replace my F1Ti !!

Too bad I can't match the Cobalt Blue any more. I might have to go with carbon clear or white.

Hey Santa, are you listening?

BK

Keith A
08-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Pete -- This is great news! I think I see a competition red F3 in the future for my CSi :)

pdbrye
08-27-2009, 11:14 AM
SP, What is the steerer tube length??

dave thompson
08-27-2009, 02:31 PM
http://www.serotta.com/paint/forks.html

Smiley
08-27-2009, 02:43 PM
standard is 350 mm and for the 10 lay up which my guess is not part of this programe you can get it at 400 mm

zap
08-28-2009, 10:01 AM
1" 650c?

Marcusaurelius
08-30-2009, 10:48 AM
It certainly sounds interesting. I am guessing the axle to crown distance will be 372mm instead of the F1 366mm?

Ozz
08-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Cool! This might help revive the used market for older Legends that had a 1" head tube. Limited replacement options for the F1 fork seemed to dissuade some buyers...not any more!

:beer:

rockdude
10-08-2009, 10:57 AM
What are the weight specs on the forks. The F1 was like a pound and a half. It would be nice to have a big weight savings and well worth the cost. (am I sounding like a WW?)

mtnbke
10-09-2009, 01:29 AM
So uh...what...um...would the rider weight limit be for the F3 built a stiff/strong as you could make it?

I've got a 1" fork on a Cannondale 3.0 I've got, and also a 1" fork on a Cannondale tandem.

I don't imagine you could make it strong enough for tandem use for a Clydesdale (we are not talking fat ponys here) and his stoker could you? The context here would be using the full uncut 450mm steerer.

Zinn has a 450mm fork, but I don't think its available in 1".

Keith A
10-09-2009, 06:47 AM
Here are the details for the 10.5 F3 that sounds like it would work for you...assuming the rake matches your frame.

F3 10.5
The best fork for Clydesdale riders -- a super-stiff lay-up combined with an extra-long steering column no longer limits the fork options of the largest cyclists.
•43mm rake
•450mm steering column

Vancouverdave
10-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Great news--there are a lot of fine frames on the road with 1" carbon forks that they'll far outlast.

bfd
10-19-2009, 11:12 PM
OK, I don't get it. I know Serotta makes great forks, but $610 for the F3?! That's a bit steep!

Further, is there really that much of a shortage for 1" forks? I haven't looked in awhile, but I recall the following 1" forks still being available:

Reynolds Ouzo Pro and Comp forks
Alpha Q GS10, CS20, QCX forks - assuming they're still around:)
Easton EC90SL, EC90 Aero

I also believe Winwood and Wound Up also offer 1" forks too.

Keith A
10-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Reynolds Ouzo Pro and Comp -- gone

Alpha Q GS10, CS20, QCX & Easton EC90SL, EC90 Aero -- Still available, but only with one rake option for each model listed. However, both manufactures have many more forks styles available...but only in 1 1/8".

Winwood -- limited selection

Wound Up -- seems like they support all their forks with either steerer tube sizes

Edge & 3T -- Great forks with plenty of rake options, but NOT available in 1"

Ritchey -- Only their lowest end with one rake option.

There are still some choices out there, but they are much more limited than what is available in 1 1/8". For example, if you wanted a carbon fork in a 40mm offset, I'm not sure you could find a new one...other than from Serotta. I applaud Serotta for stepping up and making this option available
http://www.barrierislandgraphics.com/forum/i/expressions/applause.gif

bfd
10-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Reynolds Ouzo Pro and Comp -- gone

Wow, when did Reynolds decide to stop making forks?! I always thought they made one of the better carbon forks. Further, wasn't one of Serotta's carbon forks made by Reynolds? This is surprising news!

Pete Serotta
10-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Ben bought the west coast site of Reynold Composites and now Mike Lopez (the Reynolds experts) is part of Serotta.

Wow, when did Reynolds decide to stop making forks?! I always thought they made one of the better carbon forks. Further, wasn't one of Serotta's carbon forks made by Reynolds? This is surprising news!

Serotta_Carbon
10-20-2009, 01:52 PM

Yes...We first did the F2 as an upgraded Ouzo Pro and then designed & manufactured the F3 series until my staff & I jumped ship and joined the Serotta team. Ben did in fact buy some of the assets of MQC and we set up a new facility with the rest of my equipment to continue production and new product development.

As for why MQC chose to get out of the fork market I'd have to speculate they didn't feel they were competitive in that arena any longer. The market has gotten very tough in the past several years....

Pete Serotta
10-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Mike Lopez is the Director of the carbon products, as well as R&D... Great guy!!

and he likes RED>

Mike, feel free to join us at the West Coast event - near BRENTWOOD> I am going out to see TOM BRYNES, and partake of his wine and great company!

AS to F3, yes I am biased, but a friend of mine bought one and put it on his custom made non SEROTTA.... He was going to go with a steel fork, but I raved so much about the F3 that he tried one - - HE NOW RAVES ABOUT IT>

yeah, it is not cheap BUT IT IS GOOD!!!

bfd
10-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Yes...We first did the F2 as an upgraded Ouzo Pro and then designed & manufactured the F3 series until my staff & I jumped ship and joined the Serotta team. Ben did in fact buy some of the assets of MQC and we set up a new facility with the rest of my equipment to continue production and new product development.

As for why MQC chose to get out of the fork market I'd have to speculate they didn't feel they were competitive in that arena any longer. The market has gotten very tough in the past several years....

Thanks! If Reynolds or MQC finds the fork market tough, I wish Serotta the best of luck with its $600-755 (painted) fork. That's alot of money for a fork, so I hope those Goldman Sach interns (the ones starting at 700K) buy up!!!

jlwdm
10-21-2009, 05:40 AM
Thanks! If Reynolds or MQC finds the fork market tough, I wish Serotta the best of luck with its $600-755 (painted) fork. That's alot of money for a fork, so I hope those Goldman Sach interns (the ones starting at 700K) buy up!!!

Doesn't seem like you really followed what was explained here. The F3 is a great fork with rake options now offered in a 1" model. The 1" fork is going to be purchased by people who are into cycling and want a great fork for mostly older bikes. Probably great bikes that the owners are going to keep for a long time.

Your Goldman Sachs interns comment implies that the fork will only be purchased by people with money that don't really know anything about biking. I think you are way off base. The buyer you are talking about would want the new great thing.

These forks are for riders who are into biking and understand quality. True quality has its price - and its rewards.

Jeff

Pete Serotta
10-21-2009, 05:59 AM
The fork is that good. (and US made). Yes it is a lot of money. The folks that I know who have them are not GS employees but just riders who enjoy the ride and responsiveness.

I have not tried all the forks made out there, but I can tell you in a market like this you get what you pay for. Yes there are other good forks out there and yes they are less $$s. If they meet ones needs, then they should go for them. I guess it really comes down to what you want and what you equate value to.

ALL of us spend our $$s on what we like and want. Because we have a certain item, t does not mean we have so much money that we just throw it away.

Last thought.. Why does one buy Dure Ace over Ultegra, Chorus over Record, or Red over Force........ "what we like/want :confused:

bfd
10-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Like the saying goes: "Lighten up Frances!" First, the comment about the Goldman Sachs interns was nothing but a JOKE! I guess next time I have to use one of those simile things...:)

Second, Why does one buy Dure Ace over Ultegra, Chorus over Record, or Red over Force........ "what we like/want"

I think most people buy one group over another for various reasons - prestige/image, warranty, cost and lighter weight - just to name a few. Let's address each one:

prestige/image - Hey, I want to be like Lance! Does a Serotta F3 fork demand the same prestige/image? That's to be determined. Note, I love Serotta frames and think they're one of the best. However, up to now, its my understanding that their carbon forks were basically rebadged Ouzo Pros or some other mfr.

warranty - at least for Shimano, some purchase DA or XTR over other Shimano groups because you get a 3 year warranty instead of 2. Does that really matter? Ask those who bought DA 9 7700 STI shifters that needed replacing....

Cost - some buy Chorus over Record because of cost. The Serotta F3 is priced from $615-755 (painted). That's alot. How much demand will there be? Again, to be determined. But if Reynolds/MQC didn't think their highly rated Ouzo Pro fork, arguably one of the best on the market at the time, was competitive in a tough market, the Serotta at almost twice the price is going to be aiming at a very small niche market.

Weight - one reason to buy a carbon fork is lighter weight. You guys may not have been around back then, but at one time Kestrel forks were considered "the best." (at least out here in the SF Bay Area). However, for whatever reason, Kestrel never came out with a carbon steerer tube for its fork. It came out with a limited ti steerer tube, which at $550 or so, was heavier and very pricey compared to the competition and didn't sell well. End result, Kestrel is out of the carbon fork business.

Note, Serotta doesn't list weight for any of its fork. This raises the question why? Does weight matter? For many, yes! The failure to list a weight raises the presumption that the Serotta fork is NOT light and may not be competitive for that reason.

Now, WHAT I LIKE about the new forks. I like the fact that the fork is offered with rake, so it makes them more "tunable." This fits in well with the Serotta Personal Fit System. Like someone mentioned, those "in the know" will be able to fine tune their framesets to match their exact specifications. Is that going to be a large market? The market for aftermarket custom forks, whether from Serotta, Easton, Alpha Q or others, is very small. This is going to be aimed at an even smaller subset of that. Hopefully, Serotta has taken this into account and can make a ton of money on it. Good Luck!

Pete Serotta
10-21-2009, 01:49 PM
bfd,,,,,,I guess your idea of a joke is different than mine.

As to "Note, Serotta doesn't list weight for any of its fork. This raises the question why? Does weight matter? For many, yes! The failure to list a weight raises the presumption that the Serotta fork is NOT light and may not be competitive for that reason." - -

I do not know if you mean this as a joke also, but lightness is not a competitive trait necessarily in forks.....

To give you one example, the F2 "Ouzo Pro" based fork was heavier than the 2nd iteration Ouzo Pro for a reason... Ben felt it did not offer the stiffness and responsiveness he wanted - so he paid extra to beef it up and thus its weight was more.

If Ben was focused only on marketing "lightness" as a competitive advantage , he would had left the stiffness and lightness as it was in the Reynolds OUZO second version, and saved money.

Yeah many folks, even me maybe, would have not known the difference in normal riding - but he did notice and had it changed! One place where it comes into play would be on a down hill that one is going fast on and it is rough......

My intention was not to offend you but is nstead to offer an alternative view of the Serotta products.

Lightness is the marketing craze now and while it is not bad, it is only one aspect of a good ride. There has always been lighter products out there for Serotta's idea of engineering a product focuses first on performance & reliability and offering as much lightness as they can to support the first two items. While lightness is a top item - for the market wants light, it is not the over riding requirement unless the bike is being built for a special event.

I am not asking you to agree with me but to just see another view. As to making a ton on money, I do not think that is in the cards but thanks for wishing it to us.
:) Pete

bfd
10-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks Pete. I agree that weight isn't everything. I was only trying to point out that most people upgrade to a carbon fork to "save weight."

However, I still use an old Kestrel fork with STEEL steerer tube on my Calfee because I just like the way it rides - stiff and responsive. That extra 1/4 or 1/2 lb that I could save with a carbon steerer is probably not going to make me any faster :) :banana: :crap: :beer: :butt:

Good Luck!

Pete Serotta
10-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Lets go for a ride and have some wine. I had a Kestrel on a Legend before the F1 came about and really like the way it rode. Yep, stiff and responsive.

If I drank less red, I would be faster... :beer:

Pete