PDA

View Full Version : Ergo shifters: Veloce with escape

amator
08-26-2009, 04:45 AM
Some campy 10 questions..
Is the current black alu 10 speed veloce shifters with escape similar to 07 chorus. I'm pretty used to escape.

Im not to fond of of the centaur ultra drive smooth but vague shifts.I do like the fit and finish of the silver alu levers.

What would be a good and reliable short cage rear D to get, centaur?

Are the miche primato cassettes a good substitute for OEM campy?

I have a compact UT centaur crank on hand and a shimano 105 front D, must I get a QS front D to work effectively.

My two other bikes have a mixture of 06 above chorus/record.

MilanoTom
08-26-2009, 05:38 AM
Some campy 10 questions..
Is the current black alu 10 speed veloce shifters with escape similar to 07 chorus. I'm pretty used to escape.

Im not to fond of of the centaur ultra drive smooth but vague shifts.I do like the fit and finish of the silver alu levers.

What would be a good and reliable short cage rear D to get, centaur?

I have a compact UT centaur crank on hand and a shimano 105 front D, must I get a QS front D to work effectively.

My two other bikes have a mixture of 06 above chorus/record.

I can address a couple of your questions.

Centaur is a fine rear derailleur. It's pretty much the same as the pre-carbon Chorus derailleur.

I've used Miche cassettes on a couple of bikes. They shift OK, but durability is a concern for me. On a 13-29, two teeth sheared off the 19t cog (and I'm not hard on my gear). On an 11-25, most of the plating flaked of the teeth of one of the cogs (don't remember which one), and it immediately started to discolor (it looks like it'll start rusting).

Regards,
Tom

Dave
08-26-2009, 07:44 AM
The current Veloce escape shifters are like '07 Centaur, not Chorus. Chorus never used the escape mechanism.

I have read that Campy may have made a running change to the '09 10 speed ulrashift levers to make the clicks more distinct, but I've not been able to verify that. Personally, I would not invest in an escape shifter. I expect it will die soon. If you've never used an escape shifter, you should read up on it's limited function.

A QS FD is not needed to work with any crank. A Shimano FD might not work properly with a Campy shifter, particularly an escape shifter, since the cable pull requirements may be different. With a non-escape shifter, there are many (12) clicks and lots of cable pull, so it can operate any FD.

amator
08-26-2009, 11:12 AM
The current Veloce escape shifters are like '07 Centaur, not Chorus. Chorus never used the escape mechanism.

I have read that Campy may have made a running change to the '09 10 speed ulrashift levers to make the clicks more distinct, but I've not been able to verify that. Personally, I would not invest in an escape shifter. I expect it will die soon. If you've never used an escape shifter, you should read up on it's limited function.

A QS FD is not needed to work with any crank. A Shimano FD might not work properly with a Campy shifter, particularly an escape shifter, since the cable pull requirements may be different. With a non-escape shifter, there are many (12) clicks and lots of cable pull, so it can operate any FD.

Ok, I might have used the wrong terminology (Escape).
What is the function that allows a few instantaneous up and downshifts on my chorus or record right lever?

vqdriver
08-26-2009, 03:49 PM
yes

i too am a bit confused with the campy escape and quick shift terminology.

i also thought that 'escape' was the ability to perform multiple shifts with a single lever throw.

Dave
08-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Their is no term that I can think of for the standard Campy mechanism. It's worked much the same from 1992-2008, being able to shift 3-cogs larger with the finger lever and all 7,8 or 9 shifts with one push of the thumb button. This shifter is no longer made! Anything you find now is spare parts or new old stock.

The escape mechanism is the limited function model, offered in '07-'08 Centaur and Veloce. Campy still makes an '09 escape shifter at the Veloce level, which is odd since they also make '09 Veloce ultrashift.

All 2009 10 speed ultrashift levers will have the same vague right finger click, unless Campy has made that rumored running-change to the index disc. The 11 speed model has a much more distinct click from the right finger lever.

acorn_user
08-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Quick Shift refers to the left lever/front shifter. Escape refers to the right lever/rear shifter. Escape has been around for a long time - the Xenon shifters used it. The advantage over the normal old Campagnolo shifter is that you don't have to rebuild them and they are bit lighter and a bit cheaper. The disadvantage is that you lose the rebuildability (although you gain not having to rebuild them!) and you lose the ability to shift a lot of gears at once....

thwart
08-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Escape is basically Shimano-ized Campy.

Lighter and quieter shifts; able to shift up several gears at once (for easier pedaling---hills, etc) but unable to shift down several gears (for sprinting, compact cranks, etc).

If you're coming from a Shimano bike, no problem.

If you are a long-time Campy ergo user and appreciate the advantages, then it is a no-go. IMHO.

keevon
08-27-2009, 08:34 AM
In my opinion, no. I also had durability issues with my Miche cassette including sheared teeth on one cog. However, it shifted acceptably.