PDA

View Full Version : OT: 30 hour southwest road trip

nahtnoj
08-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I have to go to Phoenix next week. Should be done with work-related activities Tuesday afternoon, and have a Wednesday red-eye back to the east coast.

So I have 30 hours in a rental car, and the goal is to cover as much ground as possible.

Where should I go?

Louis
08-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Never been there myself, but I hear Sedona's pretty nice. But that's only 115 miles away.

I wouldn't just drive around, I'd pick a cool destination and see things around there, not necessarily just out the car window.

PS I was just in Philly and had supper on Monday at Monk's - what an awesome selection of beers :beer:

cetuximab
08-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Drive down to Tucson and see the saguaro nat'l park. They also have an airplane graveyard that covers acres and acres.

false_Aest
08-25-2009, 11:46 PM
coconino cycles.

Ken Robb
08-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Hurd Museum in Phoenix has a great collection of SW art. It would be too hot for me to do much outside. Oak Creek Canyon toward Flagstaff is lovely and you gain altitude and so lose heat.

cadence90
08-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Obvious question: have you ever been to this little place called the Grand Canyon?
Even if you have, go again! :)

The Sedona area is nice.

Sunset Crater. Montezuma Castle.

Canyon de Chelly to the east.

South...Casa Grande N. P., Tucson, Saguaro N. P., San Xavier del Bac, and Tumacacori.

OtayBW
08-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Zion Nat'l Park. (or other SW UT monuments)
Terlingua, TX

Actually, I would probably follow the trail of 'Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dumps' (or whatever that show is called), and just take an ambulance back....

konstantkarma
08-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Sedona, Flagstaff, Wupatki National Monument, Grand Canyon.....in that order. Tucson's OK, but it is in the wrong direction.

katematt
08-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Find a Filiberto's in the phoenix area. They have femur size burritos for under $5. My preference is the carnitas with beans. Carolinas another great spot.

Cadence covered all the good locations. But I'll add, Prescott, Jerome Sedona drive is pretty sweet, although better on a bike.

+1 on Coconino, old friend from the mutant days.

Z3c
08-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Whatever you do, you'll want to gain altitude as Phx is brutal this time of year. Here in Tucson it is typically a fair amount cooler because we are a few thousand feet higher. I would say head N. towards Sedona and find a great place to watch the sun set and then marvel at the sky once it is dark.

When you think you can't drink any more water, drink some more.

Sunrises/sets here are amazing.

Scott

znfdl
08-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Drive for 8 hours in one direction and work your way back.

Start at the Grand Canyon, go thorugh the east gate, much shorter wait than the south gate. Hike down 1 hour with a pack lunch and enjoy your lunch while in the Canyon.

If you stop in Flagstaff, look up Steve Garro for some restaraunt recommendations. He sent me to a hole in the wall which was fabulous.

Stop in Sednoa, do a 1-2 hour hike up the Bell Rock or Bell Tower cannot remember. When driving down to Sedona, take the scenic highway, it is worth the trip.

Ray
08-26-2009, 02:02 PM
I grew up in Tucson and its nicer than Phoenix, but not visually different enough to be worth the trip. I'd agree with the folks who say go north, through Sedona, to the Grand Canyon. It will well and fully blow your mind - the pictures don't even begin to do it justice. Then east to Chinle and Canyon De Chelly, as pretty as the Grand Canyon in a more understated way (which is a hell of an understatement itself). Then just wander around on your way back to Phoenix. Or stay a few hours at each of the three main destinations.

-Ray

Trouble
08-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Go to Sedona, rent a mountain bike and haul ass around all the trails.