PDA

View Full Version : Sram 10 Sp. Chain - Adding an extra link for Sram Red?

AirborneATL
08-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Fellow Riders,

I am building up my Serotta CDA with new SRAM Red. The chain showed up today, a PG-1090R. This chain has 56 links. Directions state:

"Shorten the chain to the length specified by the derailleur manufacturer.
SRAM Derailleurs: place the chain over the largest front chainwheel and largest rear sprocket and add 1 link + Power Lock."

I am running an 11-28 rear cassette with a 39/53T crankset.

Here in lies my dilemma; I don't have any "extra" 10 speed, 1090R links. I've pretty much exhausted the interwebs for this issue and have bupkis to show for my effort.

Questions to you all:
1) Any one come across this issue with the stock SRAM 1090, 56 link chain running on full SRAM Red?
2) Is the "extra link" really needed? (my old 9-sp. SRAM chain was running 54 links with an 11-26 cassette/39/53T - so I figure I've got an extra link for the 28 cog)

Comments, thoughts, sagely advice much appreciated in advance. Happy riding.

AirborneATL
:beer: :beer:

hokoman
08-25-2009, 10:29 PM
just don't shift into big/big. i don't think i ever have... i'm in my small ring 90% of the time....

Bruce K
08-26-2009, 07:51 AM
I don't know if this will help or not but I run a Red set-up with FSA cranks and an 11-26 cassette on the bike.

When I go to very hilly terrain, I switch the cassette from the 11-26 to 11-28 and there are no shifting issues.

I guess what I am saying is set your chain up for the 26 cog using the add 1 and the Power Link method and you should be fine. I am theorizing that if you have an extra link beyond that to leave in then you will be even better.

Hopefully one of the shop guys or Peztech will jump in on this and give you advice from more experience than this but maybe this will be helpful.

BK

nbrewste
08-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Do the directions state to add one 'new' link? That would be odd.

Maybe they mean 'add' a link to the virtual size of the chain (before it's broken) when stretched over big/big, then put the powerlink on.

Dave
08-26-2009, 08:00 AM
New chains should always be longer than needed. Most road bikes will require a 53 or 54 inch long chain, unless the chainstays are unusually long. Links usually refer to 1/2 inch of chain, so that new chain has 112 links. You will probably have to remove 3 inches of chain and use the powerloc to join the ends.

The suggestion is to wrap the chain over the big/big, bypassing the RD, then make the chain 1 inch (not one link) longer than the length that it takes to make the ends meet. That's the part of the instructions that you left out. That length will probably be 52 inches. Adding 1-inch will make the length 53. To use the powerloc, both ends of the chain will end with inner plates. Don't goof up and break the chain, leaving outer plates on one end. One potential problem is the ends that match up to the proper length may have ends that can't be joined with the powerloc. In that case you must add 1-1/2 inches or three links to create ends that can be joined.

I prefer to use the little/little method to guarantee the longest chain that will handle any cassette from the 11-21 to the 11-28 that SRAM offers. With this method, the chain is routed through the RD and the chain length set to the longest that keeps the chain from hanging loose or rubbing the RD, when the ends are brought together.

AirborneATL
08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
All your responses were very much appreciated.

Regards,
GG

Spicoli
08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Dont know but I was taught, chain should always be set up in the small small combo....53x28 should still be fine at that?

FYI I just went back to Shimano chains too, quite a bit smoother and quieter. All else fails buy an Ulterga for 30-40bucks and then no worries.