PDA

View Full Version : what happened to dbrk

csm
02-02-2005, 06:37 PM
I tried a search but couldn't find what happened? anybody?

dirtdigger88
02-02-2005, 06:47 PM
is he missing?

Jason ;)

Climb01742
02-02-2005, 06:59 PM
douglas is taking a break. he sent himself to his room for a time-out. :rolleyes:

e-RICHIE
02-02-2005, 07:00 PM
"I tried a search but couldn't find what happened? anybody?"

yeah.
he and garth started this:

Climb01742
02-02-2005, 07:03 PM
today is e-richie photo humor day. 2 LOLs in one day...well done richie.

Chief
02-02-2005, 08:08 PM
To find out what Douglas is up to check out his events at http://www.rajanaka.com/

BumbleBeeDave
02-02-2005, 08:17 PM
. . . dbrk just decided he needed a break. Don’t we all feel like that sometimes?

Perhaps someday I will also need a break from the forum and disappear.

(Oh, my God--did I actually just SAY that?!?! :eek: )

BBDave ;)

Ken Robb
02-02-2005, 08:57 PM
I think he said that he had lost interest in what might be called modern/racy bikes that are so much a part of this forum. He is turned off by the ever-rising complexity and prices of new gear. His main interests are now even more focused on randonneur and other classic-style bikes. I think he said he was a partner in a venture that will be building/marketing 650B wheeledbikes. You can find him these days at the iBOB and Rivendell forums. I won't be a bit surprised if he soon tires of the endless debates there of the best way to mount fenders using zip-ties or how to make mudflaps out of plastic bottles. :-) I spend time there too so I have learned five ways of mounting fenders which will be of immense value should I ever leave San Diego.

csb
02-02-2005, 09:14 PM
a slow fast

Lifelover
02-02-2005, 09:53 PM
To find out what Douglas is up to check out his events at http://www.rajanaka.com/

That is crazy.

Jeff Weir
02-02-2005, 10:01 PM
What is the iBOB forum?

Birddog
02-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Bridgestone Owners Bunch, I guess the i is for internet.

Birddog

dnovo
02-03-2005, 05:42 AM
Douglas is not 'gone.' I spoke to him a while ago when he was celebrating the arrival of a new/old bike that we shared in common, a Nagasawa. As for the 'modern', the influx of new, and ever-more expensive components, I doubt if that has caused him to 'go underground' as his interest has always been in 'older' (call it 'classic' instead) frames and components. Some of us simply focus on other things from time to time, and I presume that is what the good doctor is now contemplating.

As for me, I love the flood of new bikes and gear. It provides me with great reading material on my long commute each day.

Onwards and upward, and e-Richie, where the *&%$#@ is my frame? Dave N.

Serotta PETE
02-03-2005, 07:17 AM
Onwards and upward, and e-Richie, where the *&%$#@ is my frame? Dave N.

Dave, Spokes has your frame and we are waiting for you to come to NC to claim....

PETE

Lifelover
02-03-2005, 07:24 AM
It provides me with great reading material on my long commute each day.

I hope you are a passenger for this :bike:

Ray
02-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Bridgestone Owners Bunch, I guess the i is for internet.

Birddog
Yeah, the I is for internet. There are currently 3 separate forums (mailing lists, actually) that are Rivendell-centric. The IBOB is the most open ended. There's an RBW (Rivendell Bicycle Works) forum that's pretty limited. And a new Saluki forum that's highly specific to the new 650B Saluki frameset that I believe Douglas had a large part in convincing Grant to produce. Douglas posts to these groups from time to time these days. He used to be a very heavy presence on the IBOB list (when it was the only one), but then trickled down to very little involvement and now that the Saluki is on the way, he's back to a limited degree. These lists are very fender, cloth bar tape, leather saddles, looong chainstay, high bar, and lugged steel centric. Just like this one is rather race-bike centric (as are a few others). I have yet to find a group that represents all of my riding likes anywhere near equally, so I check in on all of them from time to time. DBRK seems to get pretty heavily into one, then another, then perhaps another, and maybe back again for another cycle (no pun intended).

And it looks like he's trying to finish a book too - gotta be sort of time consuming.

-Ray