PDA

View Full Version : OT: Collegeville, PA area

39cross
08-25-2009, 09:51 AM
My wife and I will be dropping my son off at college later this week in Collegeville (for his 1st year) and it occurred to me that there are some forumites in this area...we were especially wondering if anyone can recommend any good places to eat. For myself, I recall someone writing about a bike shop somewhere nearby that had some nice old steel frames, maybe I can sneak that one in. Is there anything touristy in the area worth seeing? TIA.

Pete Serotta
08-25-2009, 11:15 AM
I went to HS in Schwenksville and my sister went to College at Ursinus MANY YEARS AGO.

Do not know the area now, but Valley Forge in not that far away and also Reading has more outlets than you could even want. Within 90 minutes is LANCASTER and wonderful riding.

Also in Allentown area is Tom Kellogg and Spectrum.

Ray is in Chester PA area which is a wonderful area also (riding, inns, eating)

Pete

Ray
08-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Ray is in Chester PA area which is a wonderful area also (riding, inns, eating)
That'd be WEST Chester, Pete, which is in Chester COUNTY. Chester, otoh, is in Delaware County and is a really really sad depressing place. Big big BIG difference!

Otherwise, I'd echo what Pete said. I'm in the next county south, right across the Schuylkill from Collegeville. I don't know of many shops up around Collegeville, but there are some nice ones in the city (Philly - not that far) and a great little shop out in northeast Lancaster County (Shirks) run by a Mennonite guy and his family pretty much in the middle of nowhere. The closest one I'm aware of is the Bicycle Barn in Phoenixville, just a few miles south. But its a pretty much standard issue Specialized shop. I think they sell Orbea and a couple of other lines too, and its in a nice stone building, but not much else to recommend it. There's great riding all over the area. Check mapmyride or Bikely or something for rides immediately around Collegeville. Chester and Lancaster Counties probably have more good riding just because there are more undeveloped areas left. But Montgomery County is not bad at all.

In terms of eats, there's probably all sorts of stuff up in Montgomery County. Collegeville is the pharmacutical capital of PA, so there's money floating around and no doubt nice restaurants to soak it up. A little south of Phoenixville, theres a nice old-school place called the Kimberton Inn. Not spectacular, but very nice. There's a great ti place, call "The Ti Place" in Phoenixville but its in a typical suburban shopping center, so it kind of sucks until you get inside. The main street in Phoenixville (Bridge St.) has gone under a lot of redevelopment and there are some nice places. There's an Iron Hill brew-pub that has pretty good food - its a small local chain, we have one down here and its kind of a staple. Other than those, you have to go some distance south before I start knowing the nicer places.

-Ray

alancw3
08-25-2009, 12:01 PM
i grew up in the philadelpia suburbs and remember occaisional trips to the collegeville inn for smogasbord. this was like 45 years ago but actually a pretty decent restaurant. don't know if is still there though.

SEABREEZE
08-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Here is another bike shop right in Phoenixville.

Phoenix Cycles

165 Bridge St
Phoenixville, PA 19460
Ph. (610) 933-2210, Fax. (610) 994-0510
Chet/Roy (erik@phoenix-cycles.com)

alancw3
08-25-2009, 12:22 PM
so this actually made me curious and yes the collegeville inn still exists:

http://www.collegevilleinn.com/home.asp

enjoy!

39cross
08-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks everyone! Seeing the name Phoenixville rang a bell and I tracked down the thread I was thinking of:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=60212&highlight=Phoenixville

Alan's Cycles - anyone know this shop?

Pete Serotta
08-25-2009, 12:38 PM
West Chester....will be the place!!! Sorry :confused: do not know what I was thinking.

PETE

xjoex
08-25-2009, 12:55 PM
I ate at a great restaurant called the Black Lab Cafe in Pheonixville this summer when visiting my folks.

-Joe

don'TreadOnMe
08-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Alan's Bike Shop in Phoenixville is very very nice.
Tons of classic frames/parts/you name it, as well as the newest trickest goods.
Alan don't suffer no fools.

Ray
08-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks everyone! Seeing the name Phoenixville rang a bell and I tracked down the thread I was thinking of:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=60212&highlight=Phoenixville

Alan's Cycles - anyone know this shop?
I used to stop in there when he was in Wilmington too. Bought a Poprad from him. Knew he closed that shop but I didn't know he reopened in Phoenixville. As others have said, he knows his stuff but you really have to pull it out of him. Always carried Serottas and lots of other nice stuff. I used to get up there a lot. I'll have to stop in next time I'm in the area. Great riding around Phoenixville / Kimberton / Yellow Springs area.

-Ray

39cross
08-25-2009, 01:28 PM
There's a great ti place, call "The Ti Place" in Phoenixville but its in a typical suburban shopping center, so it kind of sucks until you get inside.
-RayThanks for the recommendations, looks like we will find a good place or two to replenish our caloric requirements in style.

Ray, I found a 'Thai Place', but no Ti Place - I don't think TI Designs has gone that far afield yet, although the legend undoubtedly has.

Ray
08-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Ray, I found a 'Thai Place', but no Ti Place - I don't think TI Designs has gone that far afield yet, although the legend undoubtedly has.
Right down the street - their specialty is "One Legged Phadelling Ti".

Sorry, my goof.

-Ray

Idris Icabod
08-25-2009, 02:20 PM
I lived in Collegeville about 10 years ago until Rhone-Poulenc Rorer merged and vacated to the beauty of New Jersey. There is a pretty nice bar that is on the same street as the university about 1 mile south, big mountain cabin type of place can't remember the name, worth stopping in for a drink. I do remember that Phoenixville has or had an old traditional diner that was pretty good, one of those that was pre-fabricated and chrome and looked like a railway car with a long counter and booths. Not sure if it is still there but I liked it as it seemed so American to this relocated Brit.

Ray
08-25-2009, 02:40 PM
I do remember that Phoenixville has or had an old traditional diner that was pretty good, one of those that was pre-fabricated and chrome and looked like a railway car with a long counter and booths. Not sure if it is still there but I liked it as it seemed so American to this relocated Brit.
It's still there. There's another one in Downingtown that's pretty beat up but it's where the early Steve McQueen classic "The Blob" was filmed. And we have the DK Diner in West Chester that's not too shabby either.

-Ray