PDA

View Full Version : Mountainous Stage Race - Clinchers or Tubs??

salvatore
08-24-2009, 11:55 PM
I know I've read a couple of you are going to be out doing the Everest Challenge this year, and I was wondering what type of wheels you'll be using. I'd love to run my Edge 1.45 tubulars for the weight advantage, ride quality, and handling. But is it just asking for trouble with flat possibilities? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jack Brunk
08-25-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm using my Edge 1.45 tubulars with continental GP4000 tubular tires.

Peter B
08-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Ligero Model 1 clinchers.

salvatore
08-25-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm leaning towards my tubs, with a can of PitStop and a spare. Thanks for the replies!

prolearts
08-25-2009, 05:28 PM
How does it go to change a tubular out on the road? I only have experience with clinchers as it always seemed like you'd need a team car right behind you to hand off a new wheel. Is it feasible to quickly change a tubular?

Peter B
08-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Changing a tubular tire on the road is quick. But if its only been 'pre-glued' at home, you'll want to ride gingerly on the downhills unless you tape it on the side of the road. In that case it's no longer a very quick change. With the 20+ mile long 45+ mph descents on this ride I'd rather trade a little weight and feel for some peace of mind. Especially if I was to flat early on. With clinchers, if I do flat beyond what Pitstop can fix and need to swap tires, I'll more than make up anything I lost to the tubbies on the way up with the added speed of a secure tire on the way down.

John M
08-25-2009, 06:28 PM
How does it go to change a tubular out on the road? Is it feasible to quickly change a tubular?

With a pre-glued, stretched spare tubie and knowing what to do, it is way faster than swapping out a tube. It can be done in 3 minutes or so. Back when I raced triathlons (10+ yrs ago), I raced tubulars mainly because of the rapidity with which a flat could be repaired.

thwart
08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
I bumped into someone training for the local Ironman today when I was out for a ride.

Running tubies, and said he has for many years. So he says he uses 'not very much' glue, and has only rolled a tire once, in the distant past. And this was a big guy. Also says he has no trouble removing tires when he has a flat...

My very limited experience with tubie flats involves major struggles to remove the tire (2 separate experiences, one with glue, one with Tufo tape---the tape was worse).

Guess I'm using too much... :rolleyes:

Peter B
08-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Does he descend 40-50 mph twisties on those lightly glued tires?

salvatore
08-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Peter B... you're dead on to what my concern is. I'm not worried about being able to swap out a tire quickly, it's having to then ride on it down some serious descents. I don't mess with tape, for me it's glue all the way. As far as I know, even if the spare is pre-glued, it should be given at least 24 hours to cure before it is rock solid. I've always seen the spare tubular as a means to get home... nothing more. The Pit-Stop would hopefully work, but you never can be sure.

I know we can have support, and I've convinced/hired/bribed my better-half into coming with me and lending a hand if and when I need it. I was thinking if I ran the sew-ups I could always use a spare until she could get to me with a spare wheel (i.e. the clinchers).

Mind you, my clinchers are Fulcrum Racing Zeros, so there not too shabby... just not my Edge 1.24s!!!

Peter B
08-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Salvatore,

The question in my mind is at what cost. If you have a solid glue job at the start, Lightweights or equivalent and don't flat for the 2 days then you're golden.

Flat & fix w/ Pitstop and you're still ahead.

But should you need to change tires, ride down cautiously, then swap wheels, well I think you'll be net behind a full clincher ride. Of course, that depends if misfortune strikes early or somewhere on the last climb.

IIRC in the two times I've done EC I had no flats. Had 2 on the commute home last week. You have to roll the dice on the odds of flatting.

You might instead go 2 or 3 teeth larger for you low gear and gain equivalent ground by spinning fresh legs.

It's a 2 day stage race. you won't win on the first climb. Ride your pace, the one you can sustain for hours on end. And you'll get a big help from railing the descents. Focus on recovery and quality rest between days. I'd say the wheelset won't make or break your ride unless you're likely to podium.

salvatore
08-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Peter B.,

All very true, very true. I've already decided to add some gearing, going from my current 11-25 to maybe a 13-29 or making a 12-29. I don't have any real plans to podium, just to finish as high as I can and have a solid, respectable race I can be satisfied with. I should be peaking about the right time, so who knows... maybe we'll be surprised!

Jack Brunk
08-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Weigh the chances. If you have issues going down(tubular flats) then maybe it wasn't your weekend. I have thousands of miles on long distance rides and have never had issues where I couldn't finish the ride,. Peter B. is a top quality rider who is racing to win and I'm riding to finish which is 2 different deals. If your racing then do what you think is the best and if your riding to have fun then do what you think is right. I've have two spares and I can change a flat in less than 4 minutes so I'm not too worried. See you guys out there.