PDA

View Full Version : Travel Cases

Keith A
02-02-2005, 10:43 AM
With the upcoming trip G'dB, I'm looking into getting a travel case. I have just started seeing what is available and I wanted to get my fellow Serotta fans input. The Trico Sports Iron Case (http://www.tricosports.com/case/index.html) seems like a good option -- are there others that I should be looking at?

TIA.

Len J
02-02-2005, 10:46 AM
With the upcoming trip G'dB, I'm looking into getting a travel case. I have just started seeing what is available and I wanted to get my fellow Serotta fans input. The Trico Sports Iron Case (http://www.tricosports.com/case/index.html) seems like a good option -- are there others that I should be looking at?

TIA.

I would look at a Crate Works, cardboard crate.
http://www.crateworks.com/

Less than $100.00 and protects the bike well. I've shipped my bike at least once annually for 3+ years with no problems.

The only thing you get with a hard case is protectin from someone putting a whole in the box.

Len

Keith A
02-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the input. But $109 for the cardboard non-waterproof model and $159 for the plastic one, I think I'll spend a few more bucks for the Iron Case which is on sale right now at Nashbar for $224.

dave thompson
02-02-2005, 10:59 AM
I have bought and sold a varietry of complete bikes over the last 4 years, and each time I've shipped them in a free bike box that I've mooched from my favorite LBS. During the Spring and Summer they have a ton of them they usually throw away. You may have to ask in advance if you have a large bike (60cm like I do). And packing a bike in a box for safe shipment isn't terrbly difficult. I've had such good luck with free bike boxes that I've sold my Trico Iron Case.

Another point, I've found that the shipping charges for an oversized box, like an IronCase or bike box, are substantially cheaper at FedEx Ground compared to UPS, and I've had no damaged bikes while shipping via FedEx.

davep
If you're going to fly with the bike the Trico and others might be worth the price, especially if you will fly often. They have wheels that make it easy to navigate airports. If you will be shipping the bike I would agree with Len J. I have a case from Colorado Cyclist made from corrugated plastic, also about $100, that I have used a couple times with no problem. I will be using it for GdB. In fact, I have an extra one that you could borrow if you would like. Send me a PM if interested.

Birddog
If money is no object, it's hard to beat a BikePro. They are very accessable, and perhaps most importantly, the moronic "baggage inspectors" can easily unzip the bag peek inside and see almost everything. Cases with straps when checked are not likely to be re-packed and strapped properly. The BikePro is pricey though, but easy to maneuver at airports etc. I would probably just get a Colorado Cyclist box and pre-ship if I were you.

Birddog

Bruce K
02-02-2005, 11:04 AM
I picked up a used Bike Pro through a guy here on the forum.

It housed my Ottrott going to the Ride for the Roses, and will beused for several trips this Spring and Summer.

A great case and easy to use but a new one is kinda pricey.

BK

zap
02-02-2005, 11:56 AM
We have the Iron Case and it has served us well. Haven't used it lately, but thats another story.

duke
02-02-2005, 12:04 PM
I've used the Colorado Cyclist plastic shipping box for three years. It has been Fed Exd across the country 3 times and and two round trips to Singapore. Although getting beat up it still has a lot of life left.
duke

weisan
02-02-2005, 12:53 PM
I've used the Colorado Cyclist plastic shipping box for three years. It has been Fed Exd across the country 3 times and and two round trips to Singapore. Although getting beat up it still has a lot of life left.
duke

Oh yes, Singapore, my hometown. So Duke, what was your impression of that part of the world when you were there? I take it that you have the opportunity to ride a bit on those killer roads that has ZERO shoulder. :D

weisan

Tom
02-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Anybody have any opinions on whether it makes sense to ship your bike with somebody like DHL or FedEx as opposed to flying with it?

I am wondering because you hear stories about careless baggage handlers and these days you can't lock up your shipping case. I've asked the people at Albany if they'd lock my bags after they inspected them when I traveled and they were fine with it but coming home the airport people would not. I'd be reluctant to leave a bike in an unlocked box.

Too Tall
02-02-2005, 01:03 PM
What's wrong with double cardboard?

Birddog
02-02-2005, 01:05 PM
I haven't checked, but I'd bet that simple economics says to ship it Fedex(per Dave Thompson's recommendation). I believe that it would be cheaper than oversize baggage charges. The downside would be not having a bike before and after the Bozeman Adventure. But then everybody on this board must have 4 or 5 bikes anyway, so that shouldn't be problem. Jeez, here's a deal, ship out a beater, and have Dave ship back a nice new Kirk; beats having to hide a new bike in the kitchen.

Birddog

Bruce K
02-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Yes, you CAN lock your baggage when you fly.

Magellan and several other sources sell TSA approved locks. The TSA has a master key that opens them.

When we flew to Austin the TSA opened the bikes cases and then re-locked them for travel.

I just like the idea of having my bike with me when I get there. Plus, FedEx mangled 2 bikes of freinds of mine when the did the Tour of Tuscon and they never settled the claim in any way close to a reasonable manner.

BK

chrisroph
02-02-2005, 01:17 PM
I have a trico which I picked up used for about $150 and its an excellent case, very tough and protective.

dave thompson
02-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Tom: Depending on the exact charges made by the airline, and of course the ability to transport the bike case in a rental car, I would be inclined to ship my bike FedEx Ground. I live in Washington State and have shipped complete bikes to the East Coast for, as I recall) for about $40~$45.

I did the rate calculations on the FedEx website; a bike box 55" long, 8" wide and 29" high, weighing 35#, insured for $3000.00 shipped from Washington State to Florida (longest distance possible) would cost $45.33 and take 5 business days.

Keith A
02-02-2005, 01:19 PM
I like Birddog's plan the best!!!

My biggest concern is the safe arrival of my bike and it sounds like there are just as many problems with the airlines as there are with shippers. On two occasions I have UPS deliver damaged bikes. Fortunately, in both cases the damage didn't harm the frame, other than some scratches. One bike arrived with the rear dropouts and a mangled Dura-Ace rear derailleur hanging out of the box. I have also had almost every single bike shipped to me have the box compromised in some way (holes, tears, etc) -- some minor and some not so.

Which is why I thought getting a tough protective travel case would help reduce the potential travel hazards for my ride.

dave thompson
02-02-2005, 01:29 PM
I've found the key to packing a bike so it can't get damaged in a cardboard bike box is internal bracing, so the box can't be crushed from the sides. This is simple to achieve and is done by using the small USPS Priority Mail video boxes, inserted and secured sideways by packing tape, in strategic locations within the bike box. Works sort of like honeycomb would to keep the sides from trying to come together under pressure. I also use the Priority Mail shipping triangles used to ship posters or prints, cut them to length and secure them inside with a hot glue gun. I've never had any bike damage shipping my bikes, using my packing methods and using FedEx Ground.

I do like Birddog's plan however.

Keith A
02-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Dave -- Can I ship my bike to you and let you pack it? :D

dave thompson
02-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Dave -- Can I ship my bike to you and let you pack it? :D
It would probably be best to fly me to your location so I can supervise the packing. Be glad to do it.

Keith A
02-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Maybe you could drive out -- it's only 2933.7 miles :rolleyes:

Edit: And on the way back, you could stop in at DK's as my route has you going right through Bozeman.

dave thompson
02-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Maybe you could drive out -- it's only 2933.7 miles :rolleyes:

Ah..................no.

Charley
02-02-2005, 01:52 PM
I've successfully shipped bikes many times, always in a Trico case but have travelled with folks who have used all of the options listed above. Some observations:

The Trico works great if you take care when packing it. I had a broken spoke one time when I was a little careless, but have never had any other problems or damage to the bike. Expect strap and buckle damage over time no matter how you ship the case. (I'd expect this with any case you use.) I've experienced excellent customer service from Trico when dealing with repairs and replacements of straps and buckles.

I really like shipping via a ground carrier instead of the airlines for the following reasons:
* Post 9/11, you almost always get charged the airline fee for shipping which is usually more expensive than ground carriers unless you have an oversize case.
* Airlines provide zero insurance coverage for the bike. Ground carriers insurance can be a pain in the ***, but at least it's something.
* TSA will almost always open and inspect the shipping container. If there is any chance it will not be closed back up in good order (like with the Trico) they will make a mess of it.
* Handling the case in the airport/taxi/rental car/airport shuttle is often a pain. Much easier to have it shipped to your final destination.

Some other thoughts:

* I agree Fedex appears to be the most cost effective ground shipper at this time. Significantly cheaper the last couple of times I've shipped.
* All of the Kinkos' shipping centers I have used have charged the standard Fedex rates for shipping/insurance/etc. UPS stores are franchises and can (and do) charge whatever they want for many things such as insurance. This often can double or triple your total shipping cost. If you use UPS, check in advance with the UPS store you intend to use and go straight to the UPS distribution center if necessary.
* Oversize rates for all the ground shippers make a big difference (usually double or more). Pay close attention to the size of the case you choose in relation to the UPS/Fedex/DHL package size limitations. This is less of an issue if you use the airline. I don't know airline size limitations, but it is definitely larger than the ground shippers.
* Ground carrier insurance appears to cover the contents of the shipping container only. They will not cover damage to the case. I have been told others have gotten around this by enclosing the case in cardboard but don't know if that would really work.
* If you are determined to use the airlines, go with a soft case (dubious protection) or another container where all the parts are held in place since TSA won't carefully pack everything back in place.

Overall, I've been very happy with the Trico option.

Bottom line, having the bike with me when I travel has always been worth the minor hassles and expense. Enjoy!

Charley

JohnS
02-02-2005, 02:02 PM
If you only use it occasionally, see if any of the local bike shops rent cases. At least one of the ones around here does.

spiderman
02-02-2005, 02:58 PM
...used the case for the first time
the first week of december
when i took the ottrott
out for a tour of the boston area
and a harvard medical conference...
the case worked great...
i loaded the goat, wheels
and all my clothes...
along with my stovetop espresso/froth unit
running shoes, hydration pack and road shoes...
...the entire monstrosity
weighed in at 69 pounds (the cutoff is 70 for nwa).
i didn't use a lock and was glad i hadn't...
...the case was searched at logan
and they did a pretty good job of getting everything repacked.
with the owner's club in place
i traveled with confidence
and everything was smooth as silk!
the case, trips to boston
and stove-top cappuccino
are all very highly recommended!

PBWrench
02-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Agree with all of the above re:Trico. I've used mine several times and now ship Fed Ex when I can to avoid the hassle of TSA (very dependent on the airport). Check out the Serfas however. It is identical to the Trico but has latches which are far more convenient than the straps on the Trico. Russ, on this forum, has a Serfas and I've packed/unpacked it and prefer the closure to my Trico.

Chief
02-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Anybody ever use aircaddy? http://www.aircaddy.com/index.html

Russ
02-03-2005, 12:17 AM
The Trico Sports Iron Case (http://www.tricosports.com/case/index.html) seems like a good option -- are there others that I should be looking at?

Hi Keith,

I have used the Trico with no problems on a couple of trips.... However, I am not 100% comfortable with their straps. They have these plastic buckles, which tend to snap open.

So, before last TdFL I purcahsed a Serfas case, see: http://www.serfas.com/accessories/SBC.html. IMO, much better system... FedEx mentioned that you may put locks on your case, but they have the right to break them... So, I've used zip ties to secure the latches when I have shipped my bike. Don't even bother with ties or anything if you travel with your bike.... I am certain the TSA will make a point on breaking the case open. I just close the latches and pray if I travel with my bike.

I have used the Serfas on about four trips with no problems at all.... With the exception when PBWrench had to open my case to mess with my headset AND not having a proper 10mm wrench... Everyone has a 10mm on their toolbox, right? But that's another story :eek: :) :p

If you need close up pictures of my Serfas, let me know...

93legendti
02-03-2005, 12:30 AM
I used a Nashbar case for 8 trips with no problems. When I got married, Ibought a Tri-All-3 case for two bikes and used that on two trips without any probelms. Really, any case will do the trick. The devil is in the packing. DON'T wait until the night before to pack your bike. And DO NOT wait until the night beore your trip to pack your bike for the 1rst time. There is a learning curve and 2-3 times packing and unpacking may mean the difference between a broken part and an undamaged bike. I bought foam from Home Depot to add protection to the fork, frame and wheels. Also, fork and rear dropout spacers that come with new bikes are a must. Good luck!

quattro
02-03-2005, 07:30 AM
Russ, am I correct that the dimensions of the Serfas case ARE ABOUT 1/2" smaller than other cases and do not result in over size shipping charges from say, Fed-X?

eddief
02-03-2005, 07:51 AM
http://www.aircaddy.com/

Does anyone have experience with these?

FierteTi52
02-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Ebay has brand new Trico cases for sale. There are several listed with a buy now price of $210.00. This is a good deal.
Jeff

Matt Barkley
02-03-2005, 08:57 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned SciCon soft OR hard cases yet. These are the nicest / easiest to use. What most pros who travel the most use , well , the most... :beer: - Matt

chrisroph
02-03-2005, 08:58 AM
I had one of the plastic buckles deform on a trico but the buckle was still able to close. The straps invite gorilla baggage handlers to grab and throw around the case. While the strap/buckle system may not be the best or most elegant design, and likely leads to buckle damage over time, it is a highly effective system for restraining the keeping safe the contents of your case. In addition, the multi-layer foam allows you to pack in separate layers your wheels and frame. Unless an inspector opens and then mispacks the case (possible with air travel), your bike should arrive safely.

Russ
02-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Russ, am I correct that the dimensions of the Serfas case ARE ABOUT 1/2" smaller than other cases and do not result in over size shipping charges from say, Fed-X?

True... I have never paid more for oversize when shipping my bike. If I have time to ship my bike ahead of time, I will even get the same or less of a charge than what the airline wants to charge for taking the case, which is $80 one way.

davep
02-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Keith,

There's a Trico case on RoadBikeRider classifieds for $150.http://roadbikerider.com/classifieds.htm

Keith A
02-03-2005, 12:50 PM
I wanted to thank everyone for all of their good input -- you guys are a wealth of knowledge and experience.

It sounds like it is best to stick with the shippers and just pack everything real good. I do NOT like the idea of the airlines opening up my bike box and not getting everything packed back properly. The Serfas box looks very nice -- especially if you can ship and not get charged for oversize. Just not sure it's worth spending $350 (list price) for one of these.

Edit: Russ, where did you get your Serfas from?

dave thompson
02-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Keith A: E-mail me and I'll describe to you how to 'stiffen' the bike box so your bike won't get damaged. Or I'll send you my address so you can mail the airline tickets to me. Either one.

Russ
02-03-2005, 11:22 PM
....Just not sure it's worth spending $350 (list price) for one of these. Edit: Russ, where did you get your Serfas from?

Keith,

I got my Serfas at the LBS, they gave me one of those rare LBS discounts and I paid $299.00 for it. I think it is worth it paying for a case, especially if you are going to use it at least four times in one year...

I just spoke to a guy that may be willing to sell his Serfas case for $250 or so, if you are interested, send me a PM or call me.... You have my numbers.