PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Bicycle Commuting.

johnnymossville
08-24-2009, 08:08 AM
As some of you know, I've been riding my bicycle to work for quite a while now. 1.5 years or so pretty much steadily. While I love to do it, I found a slight problem when I got home from work the other day.

MY CAR HAD AN ABANDONED STICKER ON THE WINDSHIELD! I'm not kidding, it said if I didn't move the car within 48 hours the city was going to have it towed. Now I'm sure it wouldn't have gotten the tag if I hadn't left the rear driver's side tire go flat from sitting so long, but still. What the heck?

I pumped up the tire with my bicycle pump and drove the car to work today.

konstantkarma
08-24-2009, 08:44 AM
I wish I had the same problem! I commuted by bike for over 15 years in the rain, snow, and heat of Denver and Tucson. Then we moved to the Baltimore area. I now feel like a sardine trapped in a metal can, stuck on I-95 for hours every week. I sucks the life right out of you.

paulrad9
08-24-2009, 08:49 AM
It may be time to sell the car :D

39cross
08-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Must have been the car cover that made them suspicious :)

johnnymossville
08-24-2009, 09:02 AM
I called the officer who left the sticker and he said I probably had a couple weeks before the tow trucks arrived. He also said it was someone in my neighborhood who called.

Now I'm looking suspiciously for snitches. hehe

William
08-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I called the officer who left the sticker and he said I probably had a couple weeks before the tow trucks arrived. He also said it was someone in my neighborhood who called.

I bet it was a squirrel. ;)

William

johnnymossville
08-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I wish I had the same problem! I commuted by bike for over 15 years in the rain, snow, and heat of Denver and Tucson. Then we moved to the Baltimore area. I now feel like a sardine trapped in a metal can, stuck on I-95 for hours every week. I sucks the life right out of you.

Oh I feel for you. I see the traffic when I cross over 795. People heading towards Baltimore and DC. That's no way to spend time.

cinema
08-24-2009, 09:07 AM

The same thing happened to me. Apparently they're obsessed with the resale value of their homes and feel that YOUR car parked on YOUR property is an eyesore.

mo3039
08-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Could've been that layer of dust and pollen that made it too hard to see into your car...tends to get my neighbors edgy. Sell the car and keep rocking your commute!

nahtnoj
08-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Probably was a neighbor that called. I had this happen to my roommate when he was doing a rotation in Boston and left his car in Philly.

It would be good to drive the car every so often anyway - run an errand to get it warmed up then park somewhere else on the street.

ALAMIKE
08-24-2009, 12:55 PM
My mother had terminal cancer and she did not drive her car for the last year of her life. One of her "loving" neighbors complained to the city about the car. So my sister had to move the car every couple days. I would find the person that has problem with your car and return the favor when the time comes.

chuckroast
08-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Put it up on blocks, that'll show 'em. Plus, makes it harder to tow.

dvs cycles
08-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Was this on the street or on YOUR property?

nahtnoj
08-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Was this on the street or on YOUR property?

Good point - if it is inspected with current tags I don't believe they have the authority to tow from your driveway.

Blue Jays
08-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Where is the car situated? Street or driveway?
Does it look like it has been abandoned in-place?
Do they chalk the tires to determine movement?

johnnymossville
08-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Even though my Townhouse has it's "own" parking spots, the Police Officer I spoke to said they are actually the same as public street parking. Imagine a car with a flat tire sitting out along the road for two months. They might tow it eventually. I specifically asked him about that. He also confided in me that he probably wouldn't even consider having it towed unless I didn't pump up the tire before the next time he came by. It's registered and insured by the way.

I'm pretty sure I know which neighbors called, but I wouldn't dare confront them about it. A little detective work will work though. hahahaha

Anyway I thought it was interesting how it all went down and the Officer was really nice about the whole thing.

Bud_E
08-24-2009, 02:54 PM
A buddy of mine in college had a car he never used parked in the street in front of his apartment. One day he went out there to check it and found a homeless guy living in it. He figured at least someone was getting some use out of it.

johnnymossville
08-24-2009, 02:54 PM
A buddy of mine in college had a car he never used parked in the street in front of his apartment. One day he went out there to check it and found a homeless guy living in it. He figured at least someone was getting some use out of it.

LOL

SC Will
08-24-2009, 09:15 PM
I had that problem when I started commuting by bike

Sold the car eight months ago and I have not even thought twice about it

(Sometimes my wife lets me use hers)

Just saying

Will

John M
08-25-2009, 10:52 AM
I also commute by bike and drive my car less than 1K miles/year. It is parked on the street in front of my house. Seattle has a 3-day rule for cars sitting in one spot that is irregularly enforced in my neighborhood. That said, I do routinely remove chalk from the tires to avoid tickets.

A couple of years ago we called the police about a car sitting in front of our house unmoved for a few weeks. Turned out it had been reported stolen from across town about 3 weeks before. Of course, we know our neighbors cars and this clearly wasn't one of them.

dvs cycles
08-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Even though my Townhouse has it's "own" parking spots.
By own do you mean a specific spot assigned to you or common spots for all to use?
I bet there is a 72hr rule in your CC&Rs if it is first come first served parking.
Most cities have the same rule for street parking though unless someone complains the local parking enforcement rarely goes pro active around here unless it looks like yours did.
Anyway you should start the car more often and wouldn't hurt to driveit around the block while your at it? :beer:

johnnymossville
08-25-2009, 06:30 PM
By own do you mean a specific spot assigned to you or common spots for all to use?
I bet there is a 72hr rule in your CC&Rs if it is first come first served parking.
Most cities have the same rule for street parking though unless someone complains the local parking enforcement rarely goes pro active around here unless it looks like yours did.
Anyway you should start the car more often and wouldn't hurt to driveit around the block while your at it? :beer:

They aren't really my own parking spots, they are common spots, just directly in front of my place and each townhouse generally has two spots, with more public parking across the street along a "town square" picnic area. And yes, I agree I gotta drive it more and will now that this happened.