PDA

View Full Version : Removing Campy Break Pads?

rinconryder
08-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I am trying to switch out my newly installed campy brake pads and the things will not budge! Anyone have any suggestions or techniques on getting them to move? I have tried to use tools to pull, push, nudge, whatever. No lubricants used yet.

dsb
08-24-2009, 06:45 AM
Just did this myself... I used a pair of needle nosed pliers and pulled them out... I grabbed them from the end that was closest to the opening, it took a bit of tugging, but wasn't too bad... Installing the new Swiss Stops required rubbing alcohol, and even then I had to pull with the pliers from one end and push with my thumb from the other to get them in...

This was on '05 Chorus brakes...

I didn't remove anything from the bike except the wheels...

HTH,
Dave

don'TreadOnMe
08-24-2009, 07:20 AM
http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-campy-brake-pad-swap.html

I know your pain. Do yourself a favor,read the above, change your life (re: removing/installing campy brake pads, ahem).

jemoryl
08-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Just a thin screwdriver carefully wedged between the rubber and metal at the open end of the holder will do the trick. No need to remove holder from brakes. Lube up the new pads with some liquid detergent and slide them in.

cmg
08-24-2009, 10:32 AM
flip the pad holders to where the open end is facing the direction ot travel of the wheel. go riding around the block hitting the brakes a few times. should knock them loose.

gregclimbs
08-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Just a thin screwdriver

+1. I use hairspray to install since it gets sticky and helps hold...

g

Kines
08-24-2009, 10:06 PM
I change a couple of times a year due to carbon and Al wheels. I use a punch (sawed off screwdriver, actually) with a rag wrapped around my knuckles for when they give suddenly. Never had a problem. But I also put a tiny dab of plummer's silicone on them to make it easier next time.

KN

salvatore
08-24-2009, 11:50 PM
When you put the new pads in, just grease the sides a touch. When you need to remove them, they'll come out nice and smooth. I have a small pair of vice grips that work like a charm. The rear is easy, but for the front just loosen the holders, spin them open-end towards you, re-tighten, and pull with the pliers. Come right out. Replace, re-set holders, and re-tighten. Takes less than a minute. And no bloody knuckles!!

geoffm
08-25-2009, 03:22 PM
+1 on the thin screwdriver. It makes removal very easy.

Cinci Jim
08-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Huh...!

And my Shimano ones slide right out - damn Japanese manufacturing techniques not giving me the joy of this sort of change. :banana:

I wondered why a friend who rides Campy looked at me like I was from Mars when I said casually it was easy to change brake pads. :no:

rePhil
08-25-2009, 07:24 PM
There's always this Jagwire tool: http://aebike.com/page.cfm?pageid=30&action=details&sku=TL0113#

Someday I'm going to build my own version using a toggle clamp.