PDA

View Full Version : OT ankle fracture...

Dekonick
08-23-2009, 10:36 PM
OK - asking for internet medical advice...

I don't want to mention this to my surgeon unless I have to... because I am close to being cleared to go back to work and I really want to go back to work asap...

I have a good grasp on terminology etc so no need to dilute the responses...

My problem - right bimalleolar fracture (tibia) with dislocation - had surgery - plate and screws june 5 this year. I am doing extremely well according to my PT - but I am having days (today...) where my ankle will just blow up - I mean serious edema and then it hurts like hell. I have been doing all of my exercises, PT, etc... but may tend to over do it some...

Is the edema normal? What I don't get is how random it seems - there is no definite cause that I can nail down. I am running about 1 -1.5 miles every 2 to 3 days (on a treadmill or ruberized track) but the edema seems to not occur on those days. It is an issue for me because I have to be able to wear boots for work - and they are tight already.

I am scheduled to see my surgeon in 2 weeks - if I mention this he won't clear me and then its another 6 weeks before a follow up. I was thinking of moving the apointment back a few weeks - to give a month to clear this problem - what I want to know is will that be enough time - and is there anything I can do to reduce the swelling and increase my healing time? (my PT tells me I am healing wonderfully - and I know 3 months is probably on the early side for returning to work but I feel fine, and my ankle is working great - minus the edema...)

advice before I bring this up to my doc?

rnhood
08-24-2009, 05:20 AM
My opinion is its normal. June was only a few weeks ago. I broke my ankle (tibia also) 10 years ago and, I remember having similar swelling issues for 6 months before things settled out. It came and went at will and, it took near 9 months before all the black and blue coloration in and around my ankle and foot faded away. And although my ankle is completely healed now, 10 years later, it still bigger than the other ankle. I think its scar tissue and is permanent.

I think you will be cleared to go back to work, assuming the work you do doesn't stress or aggravate the ankle. I think what you are seeing is the normal healing process.

93legendti
08-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I have a little experience with swelling in an injured leg. When I first returned to school after the open reduction of my internal fractured femur, I did too much and my leg blew up to twice it's size. I spent a weekend with the leg elevated (higher than my heart) and it went down.

I have been suffering for a month with a golf ball sized hematoma in my shin. After infection set in and my Doctor drained it, I walked around too much the next day and my ankle and foot swelled up. Again, elevation for a day brought the swelling down.

It sounds like too much activity is what's causing your swelling. I wince just thinking about you running. It may eb runnign and then being on your feet too much. If you can run without pain, it sounds like you are healing.
Good luck.