PDA

View Full Version : show of interest in a Forumite gathering late Spring early Summer 2010

Smiley
08-23-2009, 04:27 PM
We can do an exclusive designed tour by Bike Vermont for next year if we can get a minimum of 10 people signed up. I was able to get 8 folks to post for a lovely 6 day 5 night Three Rivers Tour this past week. If you guys can seriously show me interest I can work with Larry and Dawn at Bike Vermont to get a special tour designed for Serotta Forum members.

Please just tell me if your seriously interested, as I will then work with Bike VT with making a plan and then sending out details to the people who showed interest here first, after that it will go to my friends list and we will proceed. Expenses should range at the $1100 to 1400 range is my guess depending on how many meals and ride guides we use.

I figure we need to start somewhere and this is a good place to start off on.
Please remember Karen and I pulled off Nottrott and Tour Du Toga so we do know how to make these things happen :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
08-23-2009, 05:33 PM
. . . but it didn't cost me $1100 to $1400 to come to Nottrott or Tour de Toga. I'm not trying to poo-poo the idea, Smiley, but cost will be a factor for many. It certainly would be for me. I bet if we got a group together and then shopped around we could get the cost much lower.

BBD

CNY rider
08-23-2009, 06:14 PM
I definitely would like to do a Forum gathering next summer.
It would be awesome if it could happen in Saratoga.
If people were up for some dirt riding I bet I could wheedle manet into doing another Dirtphalt up here in Otsego County NY (about 90 minutes west of Albany).

jbrainin
08-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Works for me just the way you proposed it.

Ray
08-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Many years, yes, for sure. Next year, highly unlikely. Our travel budget is pretty well committed to celebrate my wife's and my 50th birthdays and 25th anniversary next year with a wickedly expensive (for us) European trip next summer. But I did a Bike Vt trip this year and will do more in the future and would love to do one with forumites.

Although I'm usually one of the strongest, if not THE strongest, rider on those trips. On a forum trip, I'd likely be bringing up the rear, but I've done it before. My ego can take it. :cool:

-Ray

Bruce K
08-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Unfortunately, Ray and I are in similar boats.

25 year anniversary + a special birthday for my wife = promised trip to Australia.

Hopefully our Amex points and Delta Skymiles will help with the airfares.

Very disappointed. :(

BK

David Kirk
08-23-2009, 08:12 PM
I definitely would like to do a Forum gathering next summer.
It would be awesome if it could happen in Saratoga.
If people were up for some dirt riding I bet I could wheedle manet into doing another Dirtphalt up here in Otsego County NY (about 90 minutes west of Albany).

There is some wonderful dirt right in the Saratoga area. My old favorite was going up Lake Desolation and over the top and down to the water. Some very remote dirt up there rewarded by a really fun descent.

dave

Ken Robb
08-23-2009, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=Ray

Although I'm usually one of the strongest, if not THE strongest, rider on those trips. On a forum trip, I'd likely be bringing up the rear, but I've done it before. My ego can take it. :cool:

-Ray[/QUOTE]
You just NEED a lighter bike. :)

BumbleBeeDave
08-23-2009, 08:45 PM
. . . if it happens in Saratoga I'd be happy to devise some routes.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
08-23-2009, 08:58 PM

I had an AWESOME time riding the backroads with you and CSB (Manet). Otsego County in fall colors is close to heaven on earth. Cross bike paradise! The only uncertainty for me right now is I may be shooting some fall weekend cross events for Velo News. Not sure yet.

BBD

zap
08-24-2009, 09:13 AM
So many places to visit that it's unlikely we will go back to Vermont any time soon.

We are planning on a trip to southern Germany (Lake Constance) in 9/10.

Johny
08-24-2009, 09:33 AM

Hi Eric,

I'm interested. This year?

John

BTW, I cannot speak for dbrk. However, Finger Lakes Ramble 2010 ?

Blue Jays
08-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Definitely keeping fingers crossed for a Finger Lakes Ramble 2010!

false_Aest
08-24-2009, 10:06 AM
As someone else said, limiting factor would be $$.

Pete Serotta
08-24-2009, 11:20 AM
:) Sounds like the life most of us are living.....

Let me just say that one trip does not preclude the other..... Vermont and NH are wonderful, as is Asheville and Blue Ridge Parkway....

What I will try to do is convince Ben and Smiley (either/ or) that we need a SARATOGA event in JUNE. It would be much like our last one. If I can convince Smiley and Karen (who were the movers and "bosses" of the last one in SARATOGA), we will be fine. Serotta does not usually schedule things that far out so maybe Smiley, Karen, and I can pick a date for JUNE, lock in some roomes at the motel, have BB Dave do routes and we will go from there. Lodging, food, and picnic cost will allow cost to be kept low....Except for my wine bill :beer:

Keep in mind we usually have a March SOLVANG CA week that can also be a forumite gathering. It is wonderful and relatively cheap is you live on the west bank :D I have gone the last three years and hope that 1010 will be my 4th year. Once I have dates from Dave S I will let you all know.

Also we can have a self supported trip in southern Vt or even Middllebury area and call it the GAP MARCH with Smiley leading us up the "gaps".

As to Vermont County Cycle we could also do a 8 to 10 person long weekend or week - - "us" picking picking the where. Cost will vary but I would assume 800-900 for 5 nights if we got 10 people and did not require much hand holding by "guides".

Many options so hopefully more folks can partake in the forum rides in 2010

johnmdesigner
08-24-2009, 02:41 PM
That's what made the Tour de 'Toga so much fun. We had a decent place to stay with a wonderful host who let us bbq. You could dine at a fancy restaurant or a cheap one. And the rides and the friendships were terrific.
There are lots of touring packages available to those who can afford them.
That weekend was affordable to everyone. That's what made it so special.

And yes Eric, if you have another Fall gathering this year I'll be there!

John

Blue Jays
08-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Those pics put me in the mood for the crisp days of autumn.
Tights, long gloves, yet not quite the need for winter-weight jacket.
Woo-hoo!

:beer:

Ahneida Ride
08-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Bike Vermont is a great company ...

Love to do it .... but 1-2k frns is outa my price range.

Rapid Tourist
08-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I could do another bike vermont bike trip next summer. We could do one of the shorter ones (like 3 or 4 days rather than 5) to save $$$$ and vacation time. I could probably get a couple of my friends from the bike club to join us as a couple of them expressed interest after I told them how great BikeVermont is.

Like Pete said, some forumites doing a bikevermont tour together does not preclude other gatherings too...

Karin Kirk
08-24-2009, 05:07 PM
So many places to visit that it's unlikely we will go back to Vermont any time soon.

We are planning on a trip to southern Germany (Lake Constance) in 9/10.

Hey, that's my Euro stomping grounds! (my Mom lives there) With any luck I will be heading over there next year too. Drop me a PM when your trip gets close and I'd be happy to share some riding tips. The riding is blissful. Sept is lovely, lovely there.

BBD, those autumnal pictures are gorgeous. Looks like so much fun!

rdparadise
08-24-2009, 09:35 PM
in either Saratoga area or a self managed trip in the Vt. area. There's a program called Inn to Inn in Vt that ferries your bags from one inn to the next and provides routes as well. We could ride the gaps or do some climbs depending on our interest level.

Regarding Saratoga, there was an LAB rally up there years ago and I can obtain the cue sheets if we do that area.

Either of these options would be less expensive than a VBT tour and just as much fun with more opportunity to freelance.

Whatever we decide, sounds good to me.

Bob