PDA

View Full Version : Duke Susp fork maintenance question

d_douglas
08-23-2009, 03:19 PM
OK, this is likely a stupid question, but bear with me - I am a roadie.

I bought a second hand Rock Shox Duke U-turn fork to replace my Marzocchi MXpro (nice, but too much travel for my OLD hardtail) The Duke was sold as in 'excellent condition' - not on this forum as I think the result would have been a different one. FYI, I weigh 190lbs - not light.

SO, I install the fork, take it out for a good solid ride this weekend (nothing crazy, but a few fun, rocky, rough trails), and I feel a kind of 'clunking' sound from time to time. i assume that the rebound is not correctly set up on it. When I get back to my start point, I see a bit of oil oozing up from under the seal on the left stanchion.

Does this mean that I have blown the seal? What do I do? If it was my car, I would likely ignore it! If I recall correctly, Dukes have a cartridge that contains the pressurized stuff rather than having it flow freely in the fork like a Marz.

So my question is: how to proceed based on what I have seen. Was it bad luck, or was the fork 'defective' somehow? (Doesn't matter, as I bought it used) If I need to replace something, does RS sell replacement parts for old, obsolete, short travel forks? Or do modern RS U-turn forks use teh same parts?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this one. Fun weekend, but frustrating. Maybe I need to put the long travel (still only 85mm) Marzocchis back on?