PDA

View Full Version : HED Stinger 6

feta99
08-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has ridden these(tubular version) and would like to comment on how they ride? My LBS was suggesting these instead of zipps and I think they are slightly cheaper than zipps too. Of course, I could build up a pair of edges but I find the aerodynamic properties of the stinger wheels fascinating.

They won't be used for racing or tt instead they will be used to replace a set of neutrons that are getting a little tired. I was looking to get a set of carbon wheels because I hear they provide a slightly stiffer and smoother ride. And of course, I find that my current wheels just don't look right on my new bike.

Cheers,
AC

feta99
08-24-2009, 05:00 PM
I guess HED wheels aren't that popular amongst Serotta members. Anyone like the Stinger 6?

MattTuck
08-24-2009, 05:03 PM
I have no experience with them, but an LBS advised me against HED citing proprietary spokes and hassles with fixing them.

Don't know enough about wheels to confirm or disconfirm this, just repeating what I was told.

jasond
08-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Bruce K uses HED almost exclusively. I'd PM him.

J

paulrad9
08-24-2009, 07:16 PM
I have no experience with them, but an LBS advised me against HED citing proprietary spokes and hassles with fixing them.

Well, that would rule out Mavics but I see (way too) many many of them on the road! :)

I have the Hed Ardennes and they use Sapim spokes

Bruce K
08-24-2009, 08:30 PM
I have no experience personally with the Stingers but can vouch for the quality and durability of many other models.

As for the proprietary spokes, etc. I am not sure what the issue is as they Sapim spokes but they are readily available from HED.

As for hassles with fixing them I do my own truing when needed, freehub service when I think it's appropriate, and it's no big deal.

PM me if you have any other questions.

BK

fil
08-25-2009, 08:42 AM
i had some stingers and liked them more than the zipps i had. never had a problem with either.
i currently ride bastognes and love them for an everyday wheel.
it is easy to get parts directly from hed.

c77barlage
08-25-2009, 12:38 PM
I've been riding a set of Bastognes this season and am happy with them. No experience with Stingers though...

wasfast
08-25-2009, 02:23 PM
I just recently sold my Stinger 90 front wheel, only for freeing up some money, not because I didn't like it. Excellent wheel, very stiff worked flawlessly. Used it with a disc for TT's. The spokes were normal bladed metal spokes.

I bought the wheel directly from Anne Hed and have only good things to day. Hed doesn't seem to get the brand awareness compared to the highly advertised Zipps but they are easily as good a quality if not better in some respects.