PDA

View Full Version : Why?

false_Aest
08-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Why is it that some people look really good while wearing their helmets?

Why is it that I look like a complete doooosh when I wear mine.

Volt, Sweep, Pneumo, Torrero, Eclipse, Gila, and a bunch of others.
Red, blue, orange, white, black, green, etc.

The new helmet is an Ionos
The new helmet is titanium.

I still look like an idiot.

Is it because I'm 5'8" and 145 lbs. Am I too fat to look good in a helmet? Is it because I'm not wearing rapha or riding a 6k

Maybe I should start smoking again.
Menthols.

I'll look cool then!

peanutgallery
08-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Ha. Post a pic and we will judge.

I miss the old days when no one had one, I feel like a total Fred no matter what I buy. Don't miss the brain dead potential though

93legendti
08-22-2009, 06:21 PM
It's the same with hearing a recording of your own voice. Don't sweat and remove all mirrors from your house.

SoCalSteve
08-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Why is it that some people look really good while wearing their helmets?

Why is it that I look like a complete doooosh when I wear mine.

Volt, Sweep, Pneumo, Torrero, Eclipse, Gila, and a bunch of others.
Red, blue, orange, white, black, green, etc.

The new helmet is an Ionos
The new helmet is titanium.

I still look like an idiot.

Is it because I'm 5'8" and 145 lbs. Am I too fat to look good in a helmet? Is it because I'm not wearing rapha or riding a 6k

Maybe I should start smoking again.
Menthols.

I'll look cool then!

Or ride with me in the morning to Malibu. You'll look cool riding next to me on my Colnago EP w/ Edge 68 wheels.

Just sayin'

Steve

PS: Call-write-fax-text-email-IM-smoke signals-something-anything...let me know.

Marcusaurelius
08-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Well I did at one time think helmets were an accessory I didn't need. I also thought they were a bit unattractive. Then one day I had an accident and thankfully just hit my hit on some dirt. I now always wear a helmet and didn't care a whit how uncool I look in a melon protector.

fiamme red
08-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Helmet = dork (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=46986)

slowandsteady
08-22-2009, 07:07 PM
6'3" and 175 and I definately look like an idiot in my helmet - no matter the brand or style. Maybe its my big nose :banana:

Tom Kellogg
08-22-2009, 07:36 PM
But that's just me. As long as the helmet fits well enough to go fully down on your head, like the top of your head hits the inside of the helmet and it fits snug all the way around, it will look OK. And therein is my problem. My head is REALLY long. So to get one that is long enough, it has to be big ... and looks stupid because it is too wide. I blame my parents, it is all their fault.

rugbysecondrow
08-22-2009, 07:55 PM
I never thought I looked like a dooosh, more like a dick head...literally.

kgreene10
08-22-2009, 08:25 PM
An excellent question and one I have pondered until the wee hours.

I have a theory -- we all look like dorks in helmets, but whether anyone notices depends on what other visual stimulation you can offer people. For instance, really big racer thighs and no one notices the helmet. Really sparkly shoes, helmet disappears. Liz Hatch-like something-or-others = what helmet?

TAW
08-22-2009, 08:53 PM
I always thought it was just me because my head is small and all helmets
look big. It's the same thing with certain sunglasses. My small face and
large sunglasses make me look like a bug.

false_Aest
08-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Of course I'd never go w/out a helmet.... I know a few too many people that have gotten seriously injured riding w/.out helmets.

It's probably that I'm not wearing some team kit.

Or that I'm not on a bike that costs 1/4 of my total education debt.

In the mean time I'm headin out to the corner store for a pack of American Spirits.....

bronk
08-23-2009, 02:43 AM
First need to check to see if you look like a douche without a helmet.

If so, the helmet won't help.

oldguy00
08-23-2009, 06:11 AM
Useless thread without pics!!!
But...in my experience, from what I've noticed, people who are not in good physical shape rarely look good in any cycling clothes/helmet. Or at least not nearly as good as those skinny 6' 150 pound f*ckers!!! :)
People who are in great shape can wear any helmet and any kit and it looks good. I'll be there in 15 pounds..... ;)

terry
08-23-2009, 06:39 AM
it ain't so bad while you're riding but, the real dorks are those that insist on keeping them on while they go into a store/restaurant etc. that's when you look really stupid.

soulspinner
08-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Im told I look better in the helmet :p

Karin Kirk
08-23-2009, 08:35 AM
When you look at yourself in your helmet, you're standing in your bathroom wearing your kit, looking in the mirror. The reason you look like a dork is because you are a dork at that moment, checking yourself out, feeling somewhat silly about it all.

When you look at other people in their helmets, they are riding their bikes and everything is in context. The helmet looks just fine in that instance.

Almost all helmets look silly when viewed from straight ahead (i.e. in a mirror). They look a lot better from the side, but you'll never see that view, hence you always feel like a dork.

If you want to feel less silly, think about the grand tour riders and their TT hats. That is one silly looking piece of headwear no matter how cool you are.

tab123
08-23-2009, 08:46 AM
it ain't so bad while you're riding but, the real dorks are those that insist on keeping them on while they go into a store/restaurant etc. that's when you look really stupid.

Oh no, another biking style error on my part. I always wear my helmet into the convenience store when out riding. I do not want to expose anyone to my hair at that moment.

ahumblecycler
08-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Oh no, another biking style error on my part. I always wear my helmet into the convenience store when out riding. I do not want to expose anyone to my hair at that moment.

For me, I try to minimize off-bike time. I really don't care what people think about me and my style. I cycle for myself.

Bud_E
08-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Embrace the dorkiness. That's what I do. And I'm cultivating the dorky tan stripes on top of my bald head. My daughters, wife, co-workers all make merciless fun of me.

false_Aest
08-23-2009, 03:19 PM
at least i dont look as bad as that doofus riding a mountain bike with a time trial helmet on.

I saw him last week on PCH.

rwsaunders
08-23-2009, 03:44 PM
at least i dont look as bad as that doofus riding a mountain bike with a time trial helmet on. I saw him last week on PCH.

I spot a gent around here every now and then who sports a 20 year old white foam helmet with a orange stripe, helmet mirror, full length camo pants, black combat boots, white t-shirt and he rides a rusted red heap of a bike.

I've never seen him walk a hill and I've seen him in all types of weather conditions just motoring Forest Gump style. He might look like a dork, but I'm not calling him out.

false_Aest
08-23-2009, 03:47 PM
I spot a gent around here every now and then who sports a 20 year old white foam helmet with a orange stripe, helmet mirror, full length camo pants, black combat boots, white t-shirt and he rides a rusted red heap of a bike.

I've never seen him walk a hill and I've seen him in all types of weather conditions just motoring Forest Gump style. He might look like a dork, but I'm not calling him out.

Hrm... must be a Pitt student. . . . Def. not CMU.

Bud_E
08-23-2009, 06:16 PM
at least i dont look as bad as that doofus riding a mountain bike with a time trial helmet on.

I saw him last week on PCH.

Is that the character that drag races cyclists up and down San Vicente ? His bike has like 6 water bottle holders and a fairing and disk wheels and looks like it weighs 40 pounds but once he gets up to speed he hauls ass.

Derailer
08-23-2009, 06:59 PM
I was never really self-conscious about it until I saw Rapha's website full of pictures of helmetless and stylish riders.

vqdriver
08-23-2009, 07:49 PM
just remember, no one else cares or even notices.

that's what i tell myself anyway.

Bradford
08-23-2009, 09:11 PM
I can't imagine why you would care what you look like.

The thing is designed to keep you alive if you crash and hit your head. Seems to me that how you look in it doesn't matter.

I've broken two in my life...I'd be happy to wear it if it were pink and had bows all over it.

SoCalSteve
08-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Is that the character that drag races cyclists up and down San Vicente ? His bike has like 6 water bottle holders and a fairing and disk wheels and looks like it weighs 40 pounds but once he gets up to speed he hauls ass.

No, thats a different character from the guy Tom (false_Aest) was talking about. I know that guy...I see him sleeping in his car early Sunday mornings in Marina Del Rey (Dock 52 parking lot) with that bike hanging on a bike rack from the end of his Nissan Sentra. (not that there is anything wrong with it).

Just sayin'

Steve

PS: Ask Tom about the fantasy woman we see on PCH. Each time she is dressed up in a different outfit (we didnt see her today on our ride though).

Bud_E
08-24-2009, 12:02 AM
PS: Ask Tom about the fantasy woman we see on PCH. Each time she is dressed up in a different outfit (we didnt see her today on our ride though).

Ha ha. I'll keep an eye out. A fantasy may come in handy on a 3 hour solo ride.

Blue Jays
08-24-2009, 12:21 AM
You probably look totally fine!
Click the helmet and ride! :beer:

William
08-24-2009, 04:19 AM
Every one looks fine in a helmet...as long as you wear it right. The dorkiness factor goes up in proportion to how much tilt you allow the helmet to move on your melon. Tilt back, left, or right = dork. Tilt forward and you just look like you're time trialin'....ok, still dorky. :D

William

merlinmurph
08-24-2009, 12:23 PM
I have a theory -- we all look like dorks in helmets,....

Agree, we look like dorks - period. If I'm driving around and see a bunch of roadies taking a break on the side of the road, I just shake my head and laugh a bit. Of course, I'm usually jealous, too, because I'm not riding. ;)

bzbvh5
08-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Every one looks fine in a helmet...as long as you wear it right. The dorkiness factor goes up in proportion to how much tilt you allow the helmet to move on your melon. Tilt back, left, or right = dork. Tilt forward and you just look like you're time trialin'....ok, still dorky. :D
William
I've seen the tilt way back (like a girl trying to look cute in a cowboy hat) and the tilt to the side. Extra dorky (at least more than the normal dork factor) and dangerous. I've seen one person that wears it backwards. Would the helmet protect that way? Dorky for sure. Dangerous, Who knows?