PDA

View Full Version : A tip for rides...

fourflys
08-22-2009, 06:00 PM
If you've donated double red blood cells in the last couple days.... don't do a ride! ;)

I was on my ride this morning with my buddy and noticed I was working really hard to keep up (not normal, riding partner is around 250, me 186) and my heart rate was staying around 180 regardless of elevation.... ***?

So halfway through the ride, the little lightbulb came on.... I just donated blood Thursday and not just 1 pint like normal, but double reds... for those of you who don't know, they take a pint of blood, spin out the red cells (packed cells) and then give you your plasma back and then do it again a second time.

now, I'm no climbing master, but I can usually kill my buddy on the hills.... today I could barely keep up!

Next time, I'll give myself at least three days...

Chris

thwart
08-22-2009, 06:24 PM
That is called 'reverse blood-doping'... :rolleyes:

Dekonick
08-22-2009, 06:35 PM
I call it 'life giving'

Bravo!

fourflys
08-22-2009, 06:36 PM
I call it 'life giving'

Bravo!

thanks!

gman
08-22-2009, 07:19 PM
If you've donated double red blood cells in the last couple days.... don't do a ride! ;)

I was on my ride this morning with my buddy and noticed I was working really hard to keep up (not normal, riding partner is around 250, me 186) and my heart rate was staying around 180 regardless of elevation.... ***?

So halfway through the ride, the little lightbulb came on.... I just donated blood Thursday and not just 1 pint like normal, but double reds... for those of you who don't know, they take a pint of blood, spin out the red cells (packed cells) and then give you your plasma back and then do it again a second time.

now, I'm no climbing master, but I can usually kill my buddy on the hills.... today I could barely keep up!

Next time, I'll give myself at least three days...

Chris

I did this a few times and went back to a single pint donation. I feel like I can ride "normal" after about a week. With the cell donation, it seemed like nearly a month before I felt good.

Good on you for donating! Suggest it to others!

Greg
O+ Universal Recipient

jrmerson
08-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Did exactly the same thing last spring. Seemed to take forever to get my "juice" back. I will do it again after the ride season slows down, probably in October after some scheduled blood tests are completed. I have A neg and there seems to be some demand for this. So while the double donation slows me down, I have never been fast anyway and my Legend still feels good at a slow steady pace.