PDA

View Full Version : campy centaur UT stiffness

rosss
08-22-2009, 10:42 AM
are the campy centaur carbon UT cranks as stiff as record carbon UT cranks?
they weigh more..
you know how campy is, they make the lower groups a little less desirable, so you get the higher end stuff.
so im wondering if they made the carbon carbon UT less stiff

bzbvh5
08-22-2009, 11:48 AM
are the campy centaur carbon UT cranks as stiff as record carbon UT cranks?
they weigh more..
you know how campy is, they make the lower groups a little less desirable, so you get the higher end stuff.
so im wondering if they made the carbon carbon UT less stiff

The lower end stuff is less desireable, that's why it costs less. It's the same way with Shimano and Sram as well. If you want the good stuff, get the good stuff.

rustychisel
08-22-2009, 01:13 PM
I'll nibble. If you can discern a functional difference in stiffness between the two I'll send a big bag of rocking horse poo, free of charge.

paczki
08-22-2009, 01:25 PM
I'll nibble. If you can discern a functional difference in stiffness between the two I'll send a big bag of rocking horse poo, free of charge.

+1

I wont send horsepoo, but I have a Centaur crank (aluminum) and I've never found it to lack any stiffness. I also have bikes with Dura Ace 7800 cranks which are supposed to be paragons of stiffness and danged if I can tell. If you weigh a lot, or are a super masher, or average 500 watts on a time trial, or you can sprint like Cav perhaps there might be a difference. But I doubt it.

Now that said, no one calls me Super Magnus!

r_mutt
08-22-2009, 03:49 PM
super record may be stiffer than the centaur. centaur may actually flex, and super record may not flex as much- but as far as feeling the flex? that's stuff that perhaps the guys in the pro peleton might be able to feel- not us mere mortals.

:cool:

endosch2
08-22-2009, 04:41 PM
I have Chorus UT carbon on one bike and centuar UT alum on the other. The Centuar is on a Cannondale XO cross frame that I ride for rain or when I am feeling mellow, the Chorus is on an Serotta HSG TI. I was thinking that the Centuar felt stiffer today as I rode it, BUT nothing else being equal (the frame, the wheels, etc.). It is impossible to really isolate it.

palincss
08-22-2009, 05:26 PM
The lower end stuff is less desireable, that's why it costs less. It's the same way with Shimano and Sram as well. If you want the good stuff, get the good stuff.

The fact that somebody wants the higher end group more doesn't mean it's better in any way other than "desirability". Your quoted statement assumes that the "lower end stuff" isn't "good," doesn't it? As far as I can see, that has yet to be established in any objective way - at least, in this discussion.

rosss
08-22-2009, 05:38 PM
maybe desirability isn't the right word, and who said anything about it not being good? not me.

campy chorus being lighter than centaur, and record being lighter than chorus, is i guess what i meant by desirability, for some anyway..

campy chorus and record having a more solid "click" than the new centaur, which for some campy customers who are used to the solid click, may get them to change to 11 speed, once again more "desirable" aspects

i guess that is the kindof stuff i am talking about

but really i was just curious about the change in stiffness through the groupos, guess im a dork like that
almost done with my 3rd 12hr shift in a row at the hospital and the old mind starts a wondering about stuff sometime :rolleyes:

soulspinner
08-23-2009, 07:11 AM
+1

I wont send horsepoo, but I have a Centaur crank (aluminum) and I've never found it to lack any stiffness. I also have bikes with Dura Ace 7800 cranks which are supposed to be paragons of stiffness and danged if I can tell. If you weigh a lot, or are a super masher, or average 500 watts on a time trial, or you can sprint like Cav perhaps there might be a difference. But I doubt it.

Now that said, no one calls me Super Magnus!

Ive always said this but sometimes hear from big boys they can tell, darned if I can....

Marcusaurelius
08-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Well I can only go from the older centaur and chorus and there was a difference in quality, finish and weight. The chainrings were always nicer on the chorus and record.

I've noticed a difference from my older alloy record crank and a newer dura ace 7800 crank both in lightness and stiffness.

I do weigh more than 200lbs and love to hammer the pedals--a lot. I have a friend who weighs 155lbs and we have completely different experiences riding the same bike and components.

mosca
08-24-2009, 02:09 AM
I recently switched my travel bike from a Centaur UT aluminum crank to an Ultegra SL, and was surprised by how much stiffer the Ultegra crank felt. Totally unscientific, of course, but the funny thing is that I somehow prefer the more flexible-feeling crank. Do cranksets plane? ;)

Sorry this doesn't really answer the OP - that was one of those seemingly straightforward questions that never seems to get a straightforward answer on the internet...