PDA

View Full Version : Internal Geared Hub/Singlespped and Bikefit

I Want Sachs?
08-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Many riders on this and other websites obsess about difference of millimeters in the design of the bike to get that perfect ride. As I understand, one of the important dimensions includes chainstay length, and it affects how a bike handles, climbs, as well as providing comfort and stability.

My question is, singlespeed bikes and internally geared hub bikes require sliding dropouts or assymetrical bottom bracket to ensure the fit of chains. Doesn't that totally destroys the design of the bike to create that perfect ride? In fact, doesn't the classic dropouts with screws to change the chainstay length affects how the bike rides depends on where you set it.

http://www.campyonly.com/images/richardsachs/campysachs4/1morenorris.jpg

Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.

paczki
08-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Anyone who obsesses about differences of millimeters in chainstay length and is not trying to set the hour record, or a really tiny rider -- say under a foot tall -- is barking up the wrong tree. Saddle position, yes, hip crease, yes. Minute changes in chain stay length... I've experimented quite a bit and honestly never felt it at all the millimeter level

palincss
08-21-2009, 02:06 PM
The classic racing bikes of the 1960s and 1970s came with horizontal Campagnolo dropouts. You could slide the wheel back and forth. They had adjuster screws so you could set how far you wanted your wheel to go in. I've never heard anybody say that adjustability destroyed the ride of the bikes, have you?

I Want Sachs?
08-21-2009, 06:58 PM
The classic racing bikes of the 1960s and 1970s came with horizontal Campagnolo dropouts. You could slide the wheel back and forth. They had adjuster screws so you could set how far you wanted your wheel to go in. I've never heard anybody say that adjustability destroyed the ride of the bikes, have you?
Exactly what I am talking about. The adjustability allow one to get to that perfect spot. However, if there's a "sweet spot" for where that hub should be for a perfect ride, then a single speed would not allow the bike to have the hub in that spot depending on the ring size. So the hubs would have to clamped with slight deviation from that point. As paczki mentioned, it is hard to feel a few milimeters of difference in frame design, but then again, a great handling frame might only a few milimeters from a not so great riding frame.

Lifelover
08-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Just because many riders on this and other websites obsess about difference of millimeters doesn't mean it really means anything.

People obsess over all kinds of Bull ****.

JD Smith
08-21-2009, 09:43 PM
"...singlespeed bikes and internally geared hub bikes require sliding dropouts or assymetrical bottom bracket to ensure the fit of chains."
I have vertical dropouts on a Fuji Touring frame running a Shimano Nexus 8 hub.
Between half links, +/- tooth count rings and cogs, chain tensioners, and small mounts of play between axles and vertical dropouts, there's plenty of options.