PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar height and rotator cuff pain.

Floyd Dakil
08-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Recently, I had the handlebars on my Serotta Attack lowered to put me in a more aerodynamic position. This was done in connection with a "Retul" fit. The fitter did a great job of getting me into a comfortable position that recruits my leg muscles in a more efficient manner. The only drawback is that after about 45 minutes of riding (with about a third of that time in the drops), my left rotator cuff becomes very painful (particularly the "teres minor," which is just above the armpit on the backside, near the shoulder joint socket).

Although I can tell that I am faster in the aero position, I'm considering raising the handlebars to the previous "touring" position, since at least that way I won't have to stop riding before the first hour is up.

But before I do, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and been able to solve it through self-administered rehab or physical therapy. I went to "prolo" therapy for awhile, which helped to a small degree. I was told that I have a rotator cuff impingement (but not bursitis). I likely developed the impingement from the repetitive stress of weightlifting in my 20s (I'm now 53). I've used ice packs and done the usual rotator cuff exercises with a band or a five-pound weight. I've undergone therapeutic massage. But the pain is still there.

Fortunately, I can stay in a TT position for more than an hour, because the armrests reduce the weight and strain on my rotator cuff. And I can still use a road bike if I raise the handlebars significantly. But when it's my turn to lead, I'd like to be in a more aero position.