PDA

View Full Version : OT - PSA Texting while driving

Len J
08-19-2009, 08:34 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8203091.stm

A BBC PSA......they sure don't mess around. Very powerful without preaching.

Len

paulrad9
08-19-2009, 08:53 PM
wow

avalonracing
08-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Wow is right. They plan to show that in schools (in the UK, parents would sue over here).

I'm glad that are planning on showing it. It happens every day and no one thinks that it can happen to them. In the past year my family was changed by something that I only thought happened to "other families". Anything can happen to anyone, anytime.

Be careful out there.

fourflys
08-19-2009, 10:00 PM
That one's pretty good, but the most emotional, shocking one I've seen is this one I use in my driving classes... I can't watch it during class anymore...

http://www.spike.com/video/shocking-drunk/2874699

I wish we (the US) would do more of this...

tsarpepe
08-19-2009, 10:13 PM
And, most appropriately, the ad is preceded by a commercial for gin! :beer:

false_Aest
08-19-2009, 10:31 PM
This should be required viewing in high school and right before you take your driver's test.

Eh, too many accidents. I'm getting to the point where I just turn off my cell when I jump in the car.

Louis
08-20-2009, 12:15 AM
This morning as I was driving in to work I passed a driver who had a sheet of paper in his left hand and a cell phone / Blackberry in his right. He was looking at the PDA as he typed something in. Not sure how he was steering the car...

soulspinner
08-20-2009, 05:48 AM
Couple weeks ago a young girl texting wandered into my lane, could see her in the car steering with her knee. Narrowly missed me and continued down the road driving with the right side of her car on the shoulder. :no:

CDRB
08-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Commute to work this AM, going around a right hand bend and a SUV takes the corner with me 6" away. Plenty of room for her to move left. I caught up at the next light and the middle aged women had the phone down on her lap texting away. It's not just kids. Be careful out there!!

Steve D
08-20-2009, 02:42 PM
As a new owner of a "smart phone", I can see how tempting it is to want to take a quick peek at an incoming text or email. As a cyclist, it scares me to think of all the other new iPhone, Blackberry, etc owners who are tempted too. Man, it's just not worth it!

I'm going to make my kids watch that, and I'm going to ask them to join me in making the pledge to never, ever text while driving. That is some scary stuff.

MattTuck
08-20-2009, 03:55 PM
If MADD doesn't change the first "D" to distracted, I would be very disappointed.

If the politicians and legislators had any balls whatsoever, they'd put this and elderly driving at the top of agenda. I guess we'll have to wait until a celebrity is killed by a distracted driver for anything to happen.

Pisses me off so much that they aren't being more proactive about this.

soulspinner
08-20-2009, 08:16 PM
If MADD doesn't change the first "D" to distracted, I would be very disappointed.

If the politicians and legislators had any balls whatsoever, they'd put this and elderly driving at the top of agenda. I guess we'll have to wait until a celebrity is killed by a distracted driver for anything to happen.

Pisses me off so much that they aren't being more proactive about this.

Perfectly stated....................

Louis
08-20-2009, 10:06 PM
To be the contrarian here, IMO the video is not at all convincing. It's play-acting and to me has no emotional impact whatsoever. It's as if you were to show the first 15 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" to the Taliban and expect them to say "Oh, now I get the message. We'll stop fighting you." Just won't happen. Kids will see right through it.

Everyone, young and old, knows the risks. They do it just the same.

Kines
08-21-2009, 07:49 AM
To be the contrarian here, IMO the video is not at all convincing. It's play-acting and to me has no emotional impact whatsoever. It's as if you were to show the first 15 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" to the Taliban and expect them to say "Oh, now I get the message. We'll stop fighting you." Just won't happen. Kids will see right through it.

Everyone, young and old, knows the risks. They do it just the same.

Glad I'm not the only cynic here. I can remember being a teenager. This will have no effect, especially on the desensitized youth of today. But it's better than doing nothing.

How about "get caught texting while driving and lose your licence for 1 year". And enforce it. That might have SOME effect at least.....

KN

Ozz
08-21-2009, 08:01 AM
are there any cell phone jammers that actually work? How about putting them into cars and they turn on whenever the car is in gear?

Keith A
08-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Glad I'm not the only cynic here. I can remember being a teenager. This will have no effect, especially on the desensitized youth of today. But it's better than doing nothing.

How about "get caught texting while driving and lose your licence for 1 year". And enforce it. That might have SOME effect at least.....I agree completely! I would say that almost all teenagers and young adults think that nothing will ever happen to them...it is always someone else. I too think that some very stiff penalties for getting caught driving and texting is about the only hope we have in changing behaviors.

MattTuck
08-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Any canadians have perspective on what they're doing up there?

I know for them, DUI is a felony and you lose your license (i think permanently). In fact, if you are an american with a DUI, you can't even get into canada, because they consider you a felon!

I wouldn't mind seeing harsher penalties for distracted driving (and this includes, eating, texting, talking on phone, reading, etc.) And I say that both as a cyclist who cannot see cars about to hit me, and also as a driver who has witnessed cars coming across the double yellow because someone was texting. I steered clear, and contemplated NOT blowing my horn... in hopes they would crash and learn a lesson. But in the end, there were cars in my lane behind me that could have been hurt, so I blasted the horn and scared the crap out of the texting driver. Hopefully they learned.

Driving on public roads is a privilege. Not a right.

Len J
08-21-2009, 09:41 AM

How about "get caught texting while driving and lose your licence for 1 year". And enforce it. That might have SOME effect at least.....

KN

So that is true for all watchers of this video? Not one single person will change their behavior because of this...none at all? That's pretty presumptive.

IMO, if it changes one...it's worth it.....anything over that is gravy.

Len

R2D2
08-21-2009, 09:47 AM
are there any cell phone jammers that actually work? How about putting them into cars and they turn on whenever the car is in gear?

Or have a background applicaiton that monitors GPS.
More than 10 mph and no transmission.