PDA

View Full Version : is it me or is Firefox getting very, very slow

scooter01
08-19-2009, 05:16 PM
I switched to firefox because I hated IE 5 or was it 6?
Either way, I switched to firefox, I thought it was great. Now, well it is really poor loading any pages. I think I will start using Chrome or maybe Safari.

Any thoughts?

1centaur
08-19-2009, 05:21 PM
No Firefox problem. Fast as it ever was. Site/server specific?

zott28
08-19-2009, 05:24 PM
I've noticed some site that don't seem to be firefox friendly, but I have not had overall problems with it. I always get the updates.

false_Aest
08-19-2009, 05:35 PM
+ cache size

install adblock plus
install flashblock

did the most recent upgrade and its fast.

dunno about PCs though.

jasond
08-19-2009, 05:49 PM
I've been using Google Chrome lately and can't complain. Firefox seems to randomly crash and could never handle PDF files.

Trouble
08-19-2009, 06:00 PM
I periodically use FF on my Mac, no problems... Safari is WAY better...then again, so is a Mac :argue:

rbtmcardle
08-19-2009, 06:01 PM
google chrome for me too, even though i KNOW big brother is watching at google headquarters

avalonracing
08-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Safari rocks but I don't know if it will work as well on PC as it does on a Mac.

Ken Robb
08-19-2009, 06:23 PM
my wife gave up on Safari in favor of Firefox on her Mac.
I gave up on IE when it dumped all my emails and address book several times. The latest version doesn't play nice with Roadrunner on my PC. Firefox does fine. Go figure. :rolleyes:

BumbleBeeDave
08-19-2009, 07:21 PM
+ cache size

install adblock plus
install flashblock

did the most recent upgrade and its fast.

dunno about PCs though.

I've also had problems with the old and recently updated versions crashing unexpectedly.

BBD

regularguy412
08-19-2009, 07:50 PM
No problems with Firefox on my PC. I assume you have a highspeed connection. Make sure your modem doesn't need to be rebooted.

I find that when pages load slower than normal, I need to reboot my modem. Dunno why it does that, but seems to always fix the problem.

Mike in AR:beer:

nervexpro55
08-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Safari rocks but I don't know if it will work as well on PC as it does on a Mac.
I was having prob's with firefox mostly with email and i switched to safari and like it much better. Im using a pc.

William
08-19-2009, 08:53 PM
FF on my Mac with no issues. I occasionally use Safari but always gravitate back to FF.

William

medici
08-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Yes. The past few months it will suddenly consume 100% of the CPU and hang for 1, 2 . . . n mins. Longer than I have patience for. I stop it in the Task Mgr and restart. Frustrating. This is on a PC running XP.

Holler if you get a solution. I found several recommendations on the web, but none has worked yet.

Pete

tylercheung
08-19-2009, 10:21 PM
safari and chrome are known to be a lot faster than firefox, as the code underlying those two are much lighter, and they use faster javascript engines. I use safari for my main browser on a mac with firefox as backup for the peskier pages, while chrome has replaced firefox as my main browser on my windows box at work.

just make sure you use the latest version of everything...although firefox 3.5 is faster than 3.0 but seems to be a bit buggier.

JeffS
08-19-2009, 11:56 PM
I've had occasional freezes, but no more than with IE. At least firefox recovers from crashes without losing all my currently open pages.

The memory consumption annoys me though. I currently have two open windows with one tab each and it's using 112MB. That's just poor.

max_powers
08-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Ues I moved away from Firefox awhile back when new versions sucked up my limited memory.

I use the small footprint K-Meleon browser now.

weiwentg
08-20-2009, 02:53 PM
If you keep a lot of tabs open, then any browser will be a slower. I sometimes have 20-30 tabs open. I've found Safari to be faster than Firefox, but I can live with Firefox.

I hear Google Chrome runs each tab as a separate process. You don't lose the whole browser if one tab crashes, but tab-heavy people like me can find Chrome to be slower. I've used Chrome on a PC and it's been great, but I limited my tabs.

WadePatton
08-20-2009, 06:41 PM
running 3.0 on XPpro. _lots_ more than usual "failure to load" errors and crashtastic with more than five or six pages open.

i'll reboot the modem.

then get the upgrade.

then try safari if nec.

report at 11.

RPS
08-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Ultimate "slow" is not working at all. :crap: I just got my computer going again last night after a virus infected Internet Explorer, forcing restoration of the hard drive.

Learned I need better protection software and to back up data more often.

scooter01
08-21-2009, 08:47 AM
I quoit using Fire fox this week and I have switched to Chrome.
I am on a PC not a Mac, I like Chrome, definitely faster than FF.

I had the latest FF installed and I just can't get it to respond quickly.
It takes forever to load the initial time, very very slow to load pages, sometimes timing out. Chrome takes some getting used to though.

WadePatton
08-27-2009, 10:41 PM
don't care for chrome or safari.

but a spyware cleanup program seems to helped things out. it's really too early to tell, but so far things are back to normal during a couple of hours of moderate browsing.

spy bot. 'twas free.

r_mutt
08-28-2009, 06:28 AM
firefox is still the best browser imho.

Ray
08-28-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm on the PC side. Switched from FF to Chrome pretty much as soon as it was available. It was faster than FF right away, but similarly buggy at first. They seem to have ironed out the wrinkles and now its fast and stable. One very minor recurring problem that's no more than an occasional nuisance, nothing existential like the crashes I used to get with FF.

-Ray

woolly
08-28-2009, 11:17 AM
I've had similar problems on an older machine that's short on available resources, compared to current standards. My newer, more capable machines don't seem to have similar problems. And it did seem to start happening when I upgraded the version of Firefox on the older box.

Yes. The past few months it will suddenly consume 100% of the CPU and hang for 1, 2 . . . n mins. Longer than I have patience for. I stop it in the Task Mgr and restart. Frustrating. This is on a PC running XP.

Holler if you get a solution. I found several recommendations on the web, but none has worked yet.

Pete

Mr. Squirrel
08-28-2009, 02:13 PM
we had to store our nuts somewhere. pc's are a good place.

mr. squirrel

BumbleBeeDave
08-28-2009, 03:10 PM
. . . but it looks like they don't have it for OSX yet.

BBD