PDA

View Full Version : Frame differences between Atlanta & Colorado III?

kenw
08-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Maybe you Serotta aficionados could point out the major differences
(if any) between the two models. Thanks. Ken

PaulE
08-19-2009, 04:17 PM
The Atlanta is a lugged steel frame that was made for several years and I believe was available in stock and custom geometry. All Atlantas have head tubes for one inch diameter fork steerers. The Atlanta was one level down from the CSI. The Colorado III is a TIG welded steel frame, and was also available in stock and custom geometry. I don't think that the Atlanta and Colorado III were ever available in the same model year, I think the Colorado III was introduced when the Atlanta was discontinued, but they might have overlapped for a year or so. There may be Colorado III's with head tubes for 1-1/8 inch steerer tubed forks. There are definitely Colorado III's with 1 inch forks, as I know someone who bought one in 2002 or so. All Colorado III's will have 3 D rear dropouts. Atlantas might have had the 3 D rear dropouts in their last year or 2 of production, as I bought my CSI in 2001 and it has 3 D dropouts. The Atlanta was still in production when I bought my CSI.

Now someone with better knowledge can chime in and correct me! :)

thwart
08-19-2009, 04:25 PM
The CIII has multishaped tubes everywhere you look, and either the C4S, or on the latest ones, C5S Serotta steel (which is niobium, I think).

It is a wonderful riding frame, I owned one but sold it as I became stronger (yeah, sure... :rolleyes: ) on the bike and moved from 54-55 cm frames to my current 56's.

I've never ridden an Atlanta, but everyone seems to like them as well.

Ken Robb
08-19-2009, 06:29 PM
I think the Clll was essentially a tig-welded CSi using the same tubes. The Atlanta had plainer lugs and some of its tubes were not quite the same as those used in the CSi. I doubt that I could tell the difference as they are all wonderful rides.

rounder
08-19-2009, 09:57 PM
I have an NHX and a CIII. Both are steel where the the NHX is lugged and the CIII is tig welded. Both bikes feel tight and nice, but to me the CIII feels lighter due to no lugs and the carbon fork (actually about 2 lbs lighter). Love the way the NHX looks...but the more modern CIII feels nicer. Hope that is helpful.

Jeff N.
08-19-2009, 10:46 PM
The lugs on my Atlanta are every bit as nice as the ones on my CSi and, in some ways, better (sharper?). No 3D dropouts on my Atlanta, 3D's on my CSi.Tapered down and seat tubes on the Atlanta (Colo Concept?), with the TT being constant diameter end to end; tapered seat stay ends; CSI has tapered tubes throughout, including TT; S-curve chain stays on both. The Colo III is, indeed, as far as I've been able to tell, a Tig welded version of the CSI, as has been mentioned. But all three DO have one thing in common: They all ride splendidly! Jeff N.