PDA

View Full Version : Tire blew off rim then popped -- what gives?

Derailer
08-19-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm just ridin' along yesterday, when the bike gets all wobbly. I look down to see about a 6 inch portion of the tire has blown off the rim on the drive side. Shortly thereafter, the tube popped (the gash in the tube suggests it got pinched between the rim and the blown out portion of the tire.)

i have never had this happen before and i would like to avoid having it happen again. any suggestions?

equipment: wheels were reynolds dv46, the tires were continental gt4000s, and tubes were specialized something or others.

marle
08-19-2009, 12:54 PM
What PSI do you pump your tires to?

Charles M
08-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Doesnt sound like it blew off if you felt it first saw the bead off and then the tube blew.

Frankly it sounds strage.

I would guess that theres a part to the story tat you're not saying (not implying anything)...

Maybe a bad install, Maybe an impact, Maybe a greatly underinflated tire that lost it's seat cornering (or you had a low flat that then gave up the ghost after loosing the bead)

I would make sure you install the next correctly and make sure they're pumped to a reasonable level. The rims and tires are fine in general terms.

dwightskin
08-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I'd guess the tire bead separated from the tire, possible a mfg defect (i've seen it on conti ultrasports) or maybe the brake pads rubbing the tire.

New tire, new tube, double check everything on installation.

Dwight

Derailer
08-19-2009, 01:14 PM
I'd guess the tire bead separated from the tire, possible a mfg defect (i've seen it on conti ultrasports) or maybe the brake pads rubbing the tire.

New tire, new tube, double check everything on installation.

Dwight

The separation of the bead from the tire would be quite obvious, right? I saw nothing strange except for one piece of threading had come loose.

I will check the pads on the tire issue. Thanks.

What PSI do you pump your tires to?

I believe I had inflated them to around 120.

marle
08-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Reynolds clinchers are rated at 150 psi per CC but I'm pretty sure Conti says 115 for max psi. Of course these limit are set by lawyers.

I suspect you pinched the tube on install.

Good luck!

Bud_E
08-19-2009, 01:57 PM
It's possible that part of the tube was pinched between the tire and the rim before you inflated it. Something similar happened to me when I flatted and hastily put in a new tube while the group was impatiently waiting for me.

Derailer
08-19-2009, 01:59 PM
It's possible that part of the tube was pinched between the tire and the rim before you inflated it. Something similar happened to me when I flatted and hastily put in a new tube while the group was impatiently waiting for me.

I suspect that you and Merle are correct. Thanks.

jmc22
08-19-2009, 09:01 PM
equipment: wheels were reynolds dv46, the tires were continental gt4000s, and tubes were specialized something or others.

I also run a set of the DV46C on my road bike and have experienced the exact same problem trying to run the Vittora Open Corsa EVO tires... I mounted the new tire like I've done 1,000's of times before, pump it up & POP - blew the bead off the rim :confused: , change the tube & tried it again, POP again blew the bead off the rim :confused: ...take my time, another new tube, check to see it is mounted right, pump it up to 80 psi, spin the rim, check the bead, it's seated alright, pump it up to 110psi, go for a ride - no problem heading up the hill to Evergreen, turn around, 35+ downhill, POP, rear tire locks up bead blow off the rim :crap: .... I then decided to switch over to the Michelin PRO3 Race tires last year & never had a problem :beer: ... so like an idiot earlier this year I bought a set of the new 320 TPI Vittora Open Corsa EVO's and had the same problem trying to mount them :crap: , not wanting to take the chance again, I put a new set of the PRO3's on the Reynolds & the Vittoria's on my Ksyrium's...to date I have not had a problem. :bike:
I think it is that Reynolds rims don't seat well with some tire manufactures...maybe not all beads are made the same way???that may also be the case with your Conti's...switch to the Michelin PRO 3's and you should be good to go.
Best

soupless
08-19-2009, 09:21 PM
And there's your excuse for a new set of tires. :banana:

rustychisel
08-20-2009, 12:48 PM
I also run a set of the DV46C on my road bike and have experienced the exact same problem running trying to run the Vittora Open Corsa EVO tires... I mounted the new tire like I've done 1,000's of times before, pump it up & POP - blew the bead off the rim :confused: , change the tube & tried it again, POP again blew the bead off the rim :confused: ...take my time, another new tube, check to see it is mounted right, pump it up to 80 psi, spin the rim, check the bead, it's seated alright, pump it up to 110psi, go for a ride - no problem heading up the hill to Evergreen, turn around, 35+ downhill, POP, rear tire locks up bead blow off the rim :crap: .... I then decided to switch over to the Michelin PRO3 Race tires last year & never had a problem :beer: ... so like an idiot earlier this year I bought a set of the new 320 TPI Vittora Open Corsa EVO's and had the same problem trying to mount them :crap: , not wanting to take the chance again, I put a new set of the PRO3's on the Reynolds & the Vittoria's on my Ksyrium's...to date I have not had a problem. :bike:
I think it is that Reynolds rims don't seat well with some tire manufactures...maybe not all beads are made the same way???that may also be the case with your Conti's...switch to the Michelin PRO 3's and you should be good to go.
Best

+1 to all this, some tyres and tubes are incompatible. Some require a great deal more care with seating the tyre and tube.