PDA

View Full Version : Olmo Competition vs. Grandis

dd74
08-18-2009, 04:18 PM
First of all, please excuse me: I do not know what type of Grandis this is, other than it's a non-sloping road bike which fits me. The Olmo fits me as well. The difference in money between the two is about $300; the Grandis being more.

Anyway, does anyone have any insight into these frames? I've done some research on their histories -- tubing is Columbus on both. But I wondered if any forum members have experience with these frames.

No plans on components for either should I get one or the other. Retro to Rival (SRAM) the door is open on that.

Thanks! :)

saab2000
08-19-2009, 07:47 AM
I own a 1987 Grandis made of Columbus SL tubing. It's a real race bike from that era in every sense of that word. Handles like a dream. Heavyish (by today's standards). Comfortable steel ride. Etc.

Can't compare it to the Olmo as I don't have one, but it's probably similar.

Still ride the Grandis some today.

I don't know what more to say about it. Good ride though.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2469/3602280724_3e888c9ac8.jpg

whforrest
08-23-2009, 10:20 AM
My first true race bike was a pearl white olmo, where is that frame today?

MilanoTom
08-23-2009, 12:46 PM
I've got a Grandis OverMax Light, one of the last frames imported by AA Vittorio of Woonsocket, RI. The former owner of the shop still talks to the Grandis family on a regular basis, but has no plans to resume production. Apparently, the Asian market has a strong demand for the frames, so the family has no great desire to reenter the North American market.

My Grandis was made with a a great deal of attention to detail... proprietary fork crown, lugs, dropouts, seat cluster and bottom bracket shell, a real headbadge, beautiful paint and exquisite chrome. Very few makers go though all of that trouble. It's my first choice for a long ride, and I've got a decent assortment of other steel bikes (Pegoretti, Sachs, Masi, Kelly, Colnago) from which to choose. I've seen some beautiful Olmos. I've also seen some that looked no different from any number of generic Italian frames, save for the decals. I've never seen a Grandis, however, that didn't look exceptional.

The only "downside" to Grandis is that it's not well known among a lot of people here in the states. Many folks who drool over a Merckx MX Leader will not give a second glance to a Grandis Overmax, even though by any number of measures, the Grandis is a superior frameset.

Good luck in your selection,
Tom