PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Brooks saddle question

BCS
08-18-2009, 11:57 AM
I am thinking of swapping out my Brooks Swallow for a B17.

The Swallow is 8 mm longer than the B17.

Should I measure my position from the back of the saddle or the tip or split the difference??

I know it is only 8mm difference but I am finally dialed in. I would like to avoid having to get a fitter to look at me again, if possible. Thanks

Ken Robb
08-18-2009, 12:11 PM
I would try to measure from the dimples on the one you have to where you estimate the dimples will be on the new B-17. You may have a problem getting the B-17 back far enough to match your current position because I think its frame rails are shorter.

CNY rider
08-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Out of curiousity, why are you switching?

BCS
08-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Out of curiousity, why are you switching?

The B17 has been on my Rivendell for 3 years. The Swallow sits on the Fierte which has been my go to bike for longer rides this year. With a planned 140 mile ride this weekend, I want to see what the B17 is like on the Fierte. No problems with the Swallow, just looking for a potentially more comfortable combo.

staggerwing
08-18-2009, 01:21 PM
What is your hand relative to saddle position?

I've tried a B17 with a drop bar, hands 3 to 4" below the saddle, and did not like it one bit. Hand equal to or above was OK. Also, even as one of fairly stout construction, I like the somewhat narrower, but not often talked about B17N.

ols
08-18-2009, 01:42 PM
When I've fitted different length saddles, I try to match the distance from the center of the bar clamp to a line marking the widest part of each saddle.

BCS
08-18-2009, 01:50 PM
What is your hand relative to saddle position?

B17N.

~4.5 cm drop from saddle to bars

staggerwing
08-18-2009, 02:27 PM
~4.5 cm drop from saddle to bars

I don't think you are going to find true love in a B17 for that application.

As one who drank of the Brooks kool-aid, my bottom has found a friend in the classic Regal. Not too narrow, not too wide, and smooth contours all around. Still run a B17 on a townie type rig, but the Regal on my commuter, which has a 2-3" saddle to bar drop.

trophyoftexas
08-18-2009, 04:03 PM
As one who drank of the Brooks kool-aid, my bottom has found a friend in the classic Regal. Not too narrow, not too wide, and smooth contours all around. Still run a B17 on a townie type rig, but the Regal on my commuter, which has a 2-3" saddle to bar drop.

You sound EXACTLY like me! I still ride four or five vintage-style bikes with various Brook's saddles and am comfortable on all of them...Swift, Swallow, B-17 Champions Delux...like 'em all but only use them on these "period-type" builds that I generally don't ride further than 30-40 miles at a time. On the four bikes that I'd jump on and ride a century at any time I use Regals, they just plain fit my bottom. :D