PDA

View Full Version : Covered Bridge Metric Century fatality

nahtnoj
08-18-2009, 10:14 AM
http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/241122

This ride passes by my parents house, and the accident occured less than a mile from there.

Details are very sparse at this time.

konstantkarma
08-18-2009, 10:27 AM
That is really a shame. My thoughts go out to his family.

I have ridden that ride twice, and have enjoyed it very much. I love to ride in rural Lancaster County.

Ray
08-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Beautiful area to ride. My favorite LBS is in that township. Doesn't say it was a car-bike accident or if the guy just went down. That's a BIG ass ride and can get pretty out of hand at times with that many riders on some very narrow roads. I feel for the guys loved ones.

-Ray

nahtnoj
08-18-2009, 11:29 AM
I think it was a crash.

Almost all of my parents neighbors are Mennonites, and most of them have police scanners (volunteer fire fighters).

It sounds like the guy got pinned on the inside of the corner (which is adjacent to a gravel parking lot), lost control on the gravel, and crashed into a building.

palincss
08-18-2009, 12:28 PM
I was on the ride. There was one spot where police were directing us to go quite slowly, and just past the cop I could see several emergency vehicles parked off the road on the left. It wasn't clear that they had anything to do with the ride.

Many thanks for posting the link.

OldDog
08-18-2009, 03:07 PM
I've done this ride maybe 21/22 years. Last time was 2004, I think. Always drag our feet and head out somewhat late, to avoid the crowds. This is sad, my heart goes out to the family and orginizers and volunteers.

palincss
08-18-2009, 03:43 PM
You can also avoid crowds by starting at 7, as I did this year. In fact, if you don't wish to ride with a pack, you can avoid crowds anytime. I saw no groups larger than 20 or so, and none were obnoxious when passing me -- this ride is absolutely nothing like the Seagull Century, where I always wish I had Ben Hur Hub Spinners to keep the pace lines at a reasonable distance.